Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unions out of Control!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Apr 5, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

In Seattle, WA...local Teamsters are fighting with Waste Management over a contract. WM's latest offer will boost the average dump/waste truck driver's annual salary to around $110K/yr AND WM will contribute $15K/yr to their pension! And they STILL want to fight it!

Why can't people accept that no "dump truck" driver deserves a $110k/yr salary? Because they don't....

And some wonder why people are turning against unions?:rolleyes:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/89813027.html
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I love it...

The owners have the power to fire them all and hire new people. The workers formed a union to give themselves more power, and that's what they have done.

There is always the power to fire them all if they want to.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

In the "old days", the average Joe wouldn't want these guys fired because they're "Union guys". Flash forward to present day....we could care less...
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If you could care less about union guys being fired why are you and a few others bringing unions up so much lately. I've notice this trend in the last couple of months in a number of conservative threads and post "unions bad" To me thats the truth, that unions have lost most of their power over the last twenty five years or so. But they seem to have become the latest target after Acorn went down. :singing:
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

In the hysterical "ain't it awful world of some" they do not read very well..

from the Article.. one thing you have to understand here is that the proposal is as outlandish as is the refusal.. there are two sides of this, Waste Management is as out of control as the Union...

It is always easy to blame the workers, while ignoring the role that Mgmt. plays in all of this..

If interested here is the Waste Management Proposal..

http://images.bimedia.net/documents/img-401171924-0001.pdf
  6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

How does 26/hour turn into 50.00+ an hour in 5 years?

My thinking here, is that these drivers are averaging more than 40hours a week. Which is skewing the "Annual Salary" figure a lot.

26.00 / hour is roughly 52k a year in salary.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

If you read the proposal from the company makes sense.. but apparently the Union does not like the fuzzy math..
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

The difference is that drivers make a lot more than the guys who ride on the back of the truck and grab the trash cans...thus the $26/hr average.

Now, I never said anyone but the drivers would make $110K/yr. even though Darryl would like to believe that.

What I DID say was "no dump truck driver deserves $110/yr + $15 in pensions = $125K/yr"

Care to counter that anyone?

Pertaining to the guys who ride on the back...$50K/yr is plenty for a job like that (i.e. Zero skill sets required)
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Guess in your vigor to respond, you did not notice that Waste Management made this proposal.. which is available in response #5...
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Now that proposal looks more reasonable! For a minute there, I thought they were actually going to be stupid enough to pay the drivers $110/yr in salary! It's difficult to imagine how tough it is for an employer to have to pay increases of 50% in health & welfare over just 5 years! I give them credit for being so generous!

I think that offer looks pretty good & extremely reasonable for what these people do. But it's America...if they don't want it, they can collect unemployment!
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

If this is a practice of the right, I wouldn't know since I'm an independent Flex. To me, it's a practice all reasonable and fiscally responsible people should take.

Let me ask you....Do you even believe in being fiscally responsible?
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

What's interesting is that if you go to Waste Managements "help wanted" pages and click on "drivers" in the state of MA, it tells you that the starting salary is $18.00 - $20.00 a hour for a commercial driver and $17.50 for a residential driver.

Career Opportunities - Waste Management Corporation - Careers

How does that jibe with anything posted here?
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

The difference is that they are factoring in all the legacy costs.. akin to the United Auto Workers stuff that was fashionable to blame the UAW instead of the idiots who designed and marketed the wrong cars..

Legacy costs are a convenient tool and situationally applied.. sure the talk shows will be buzzing about this one today.. the Dittohead Nation loves this stuff..
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Maybe because you should have looked under "Seattle" which is in the state of Washington.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

That's what I thought but I wasn't quite sure.

$18.00 an hour, even with benefits, isn't all that much nowdays. I don't know what the cost of living is in MA but $18.00 an hour here in DC would mean you qualified for low rent housing.

Hardly "pretty good" or even "extremely reasonable." At least not here, anyhow.

Put is this way, if you lived in NW Va. and made $37,000.00 a year before taxes and had a non-working wife and 2 small children it would either put food on your family or a roof over their head - but probably not both - not without outside assistance, anyhow.
  16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If picking up garbage is such a great job you should apply instead of whining. You work M-F have the weekends off, and your day ends when all the trash is picked up. So if your fast and your finish your rt at noon your all done for the day. Sounds better than that horrible job you have now.
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

What the hell this mean it makes no sense
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

"Seattle" doesn't list the salaries offered - MA does.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

It means whatever you want it to mean.

It's Independent-Speak for "I was for it before I was again' it."
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

One of my best friends dad was chairman of the Ways & Means committee in the Mass statehouse. He got me many summer jobs while I was in high school and college.

I spent a full summer working for the town of Weymouth, MA waste disposal unit of the dept. of public works. Yes, we were done when the route was finished. And since I know what the job is all about, $50-60k/yr is plenty (as in "fine & dandy") for a job like that.

There, I replied directly to your post...now it's your turn. I think you either forgot and flat-out refused to answer this question.

Do you believe in businesses and gov't being fiscally responsible?