Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unions Considering Actions To Disrupt Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gwedd, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +619 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

I kid you not. From the article:

Unions Threaten To Occupy Super Bowl Over Right To Work - Investors.com

2. EJ Blitz

EJ Blitz Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

They're electricians? So they're trying to disrupt the SB with something electrical during the event? People could interpret that as some kind of terrorism.

Or do they plan to not work and make little progress in fixing up the place? then they'd just be replaced by other people who want a paycheck.

3. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +456 / 64 / -35

#32 Jersey

Maybe the scoreboard will malfunction showing what down it is and nobody will come out to fix it.

That would be terrible.

4. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,448 / 24 / -33

The NFL needs a neutral Super Bowl stadium site somewhere in the Sun Belt...use it for soccer and college ball to defray costs but make it close to a major southwestern city like Phoenix,with plenty of hotel and ancillary accommodations...maybe even a resort destination like "Super World"...with theme parks ,rides, lots of restaurants and clubs...tie it into Vegas by uni-rail train service....who needs a freakin' Super Bowl in Detroit or Chicago or frozen Green Bay?..that sukks...like holding it in Philly..remember the Jax fiasco?

Either the Sun Belt or the Superdome in Nawlins...man, you'd have to pay ME ..and pay good..to get me in a seat in friggin' Indy....total joke bowl

5. Gwedd

Ratings:
    +619 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

All sorts of actions by other trades unions too:

I would offer that if these things happen, sympathy for their situation is likely to be the LAST thing that they will get.

6. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,932 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Yeah, this will win public support.

7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

What shmessy said. Whatever you think of the politics -- and the NFL players are totally on their side -- these guys are going to get on a huge national stage and look like douches.

It would raise awareness but I just think we don't want people messing with our national religion, foobaw. Especially Pats and Gintz fans, two fan bases from areas that have historical union support. I mean, no Titans and Bucs fans would be lost if it were them playing.

Eh well. Big national stage, hard to resist. We'll see.

8. Gwedd

Ratings:
    +619 / 9 / -1

#61 Jersey

Agreed. No matter your political views, one would think that these folks had someone who was working their PR department who would say. "Hold on a minute now......."

There are times and venues where you can take advantage of the situation for to put a favorable light on your situation. Messing with arguably the single largest sports day in these United States isn't one of them.

9. neuronet

neuronet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +73 / 3 / -2

#87 Jersey

Smart tactic. I know in grad school we went on strike finals week. And that was the only way to get the attention of the UCal system bureacrats. It was effective.

If you go on strike when it doesn't matter, nobody gives a crap.

That said, I emotionally find this idea repugnant. Fire them and give the jobs to people from New England!

10. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. patfanken

patfanken Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 22 / -11

#91 Jersey

The Super Bowl needs to be in New Orleans....PERIOD. Every time. It makes no sense to have it anywhere else. BTW even if the Saints get there, the way tickets are apportioned, there would be very little advantage for them, except for the travel.

12. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While perhaps it should be that way, but that's not going to happen.

The NFL owners try to get subsidies and breaks from local governments for their stadiums; when they do the NFL returns the favor by letting that city host a Super Bowl. It's no coincidence that every time a new stadium is built in either in a warm climate, or is a domed stadium, it gets a Super Bowl.

Secondly the NFL gets better and better terms for the event by having multiple cities bid against one another for the opportunity to host a Super Bowl. Remove the bidding process and there's no incentive for the host city to bend over backwards and give everything the NFL asks for out of that city's budget.

13. Rusty Coupe

Rusty Coupe Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

Consider the source, Investors Business Daily. The whole second page of the article is the corporate/Chamber Of Commerce agenda to include Indiana as a right to work state, and put workers right to strike in the worst possible light.

These people are praying the unions strike at the SB, and tick everybody off.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  14. rojo8401

rojo8401 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I usually side with the unions on these things but this does seem to be a bit risky.

I am still considering going to Indy but this throws a wrinkle in those plans for sure.

15. Ivan

Ivan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,749 / 37 / -73

#75 Jersey

Couldn't agree more.

16. IndyPatriotsfan

IndyPatriotsfan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Even tho the Pats are coming here for the Super Bowl, anything to make this city look any worse than it already does, I'm all for.

17. rlcarr

rlcarr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 6 / -6

No Jersey Selected

As opposed to the union shills, who think that people being able to work in their chosen field without having to be forced to join a union is the worst thing in the history of the world. We don't need no steeenkin' free country! Just bend over and pay us, baby, and screw you if you don't like what politicians we support with the money you have to pay if you want to have a job.

(That said, if a non-union worker does sign on to the union-negotiated contract, he should have to pay some $$ to compensate the union for the effort spent bargaining. It's not fair to free ride on that. But no way should he be forced to have to pay anything beyond that -- especially shouldn't be forced to pay any money that can be used for political purposes.)

18. terabthia2

terabthia2 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Isn't the Super Bowl one of the highest-security events there is? For obvious reasons, since it's one of America's biggest and most high-profile showcases to the world.

I would highly suspect that if any person or organization would try to disrupt anything, regardless of who they were, they would not get very far and would be dealt with swiftly.

19. terabthia2

terabthia2 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Take it elsewhere, please.

20. Dessalines

Dessalines On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Anybody posting here read a news paper and I'm not talking about the sports pages.? Ever? This is about what is going in Indiana where they are trying to legislate away union dues. If someone were trying to take away your rights what would be your reaction?

Its never as simple as some people make out. Union workers are not wealthy people even if they make decent money. Not like a presidential candidate I can think of who paid an income tax rate of 14% on a 21 Million dollar gain last year and who is worth in the vicinity of a quarter of a billion dollars. I have no issue with his making the money, more power to him but for Christ's sake pay your fair share. As for Union guys, it comes out of their pay checks, just like most of you.

BTW, I am not a union worker, I am a salaried employee in a corporation. I am well paid and I am not going to tell you my tax rate but it is lower than it should be.