PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Union Solidarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutie2phelan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Wonder if they still would back Haynesworth if Gurode had turned his head a bit more before before the second stomp and lost an eye, and his ability to ever play the game again.

Just another example of union idiocy and uselessness.

Here's a dirty little secret: While publicly the league is snorting sanctimoniously and nodding in agreement as Hainesworth gets justifiably raked over the coals, there are plenty of D-line coaches and D-coordinators in the NFL who would love to have a player of his disposition at D-tackle. The hypocrisy over this incident is thick enough to cut with a knife. The NFLPA recognizes this hypocrisy and is defending their client. Their approach is just as cynical as the supposed shock and dismay league officials portray in public; plenty of teams secretly covet players with the excessively violent attitude they now condemn. This hypocritical show is being put on for the benefit of sponsors and to keep a "PG" TV rating on the NFL product.

No PE you're wrong, coaches like players who channel that demeanor into playing football not into beating a helpless guy.

Regardless of talent I bet no coach in the league including Fisher would want a guy like Hayensworth on his team. That was absolutely sickening, and I would be advocating for a lifetime ban if Hayensworth had given excuses or didn't apologize, but he showed remorse so I'm advocating for a 32 game ban.

I wish you were right mavfan, but I'm afraid your attitude may be a bit idealistic. The killer instinct in 320 lb men is a prized possession that nfl scouts put a high premium on. Once this blows over by next year Haynesworth will be a highly coveted commodity. He's too talented to be forsaken in a league where players of his size and disposition are rare. Those are the sad facts about the game we love. Look no further than the despicable closeline hit that Donovin Darius put on Robert Ferguson of the Packers a couple years ago. Del Rio was laughing about it on the sidelines while Ferguson was being carted, immobilized, off the field; and now Darius is praised by scouts for his aggressive, intimidating attitude.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
I wish you were right mavfan, but I'm afraid your attitude may be a bit idealistic. The killer instinct in 320 lb men is a prized possession that nfl scouts put a high premium on. Once this blows over by next year Haynesworth will be a highly coveted commodity. He's too talented to be forsaken in a league where players of his size and disposition are rare. Those are the sad facts about the game we love. Look no further than the despicable closeline hit that Donovin Darius put on Robert Ferguson of the Packers a couple years ago. Del Rio was laughing about it on the sidelines while Ferguson was being carted, immobilized, off the field; and now Darius is praised by scouts for his aggressive, intimidating attitude.

I agree with you PE.
I agree with the prev. statement too.

When the dogs are angry-they do play better. Some people don't understand this.
The anger issues of some players carry off the field too.
This is a very violent game.

I completely agree with you, f2p. If the union were concerned with the health of its members it would be pressing for the most rigorous drug testing possible, not using every excuse it can find to run away from it.

Of course, football is a very violent game. All the more reason to establish limits! Haynesworth (and Darius) should have been gone for the year.

For me, there is all the difference in the world between the DISCIPLINED aggression of a well played football game and a dog fight with paid human participants. My hero is Darryl Stingley not Jack Tatum.

I wouldn't read too much into what the Union offered to do. There's lots of different ways to offer to do something. Did they push real hard to get him to appeal it or did they just remind him that they are his advocate and would pursue the appeal if that's what he wanted? For any kind of 'legal' system to be fair and to work right there have to be some people who are biased.

RoughingthePasser said:
I agree with you PE.
I agree with the prev. statement too.

When the dogs are angry-they do play better.[ /QUOTE]There is some truth to what you say (Romanowski), but angry players play with more emotion, which is not the same as better.

If they can channel that emotion and passion into football playing, they are better players.

If they cannot control the anger, they are not playing any better. THey are merely collecting 15-yard penalties.

It is unfair to lump assumptions about all unions, because of the alleged actions of the NFLPA.. this is a millionaire's union and a far cry from the rank and file who are in the ditches. Baseball, Hockey, Basketball and Football unions bear absolutely no resemblance to any union I was ever involved in.

PonyExpress said:
Here's a dirty little secret: While publicly the league is snorting sanctimoniously and nodding in agreement as Hainesworth gets justifiably raked over the coals, there are plenty of D-line coaches and D-coordinators in the NFL who would love to have a player of his disposition at D-tackle. The hypocrisy over this incident is thick enough to cut with a knife. The NFLPA recognizes this hypocrisy and is defending their client. Their approach is just as cynical as the supposed shock and dismay league officials portray in public; plenty of teams secretly covet players with the excessively violent attitude they now condemn. This hypocritical show is being put on for the benefit of sponsors and to keep a "PG" TV rating on the NFL product.

You are being foolish. There is a difference between playing with attitude and stomping on a guy's face because you are getting consistantly beaten on every play. There result was a 15 yd penalty,ejection from the game, and a 5 game suspension. Not to mention a ton of bad publicity.

Boy! That sure helped his team!

Last edited:
It has been reported that Haynesworth decided not to appeal ( a good decision on his part). So, the union can't do much more than recommend he appeal, right?

A union can't react just to the specific incident in question, they have to think in terms of precedents.

As the players' advocates, it's their responsibility to challenge the league's right to dole out hefty suspensions for on-field acts of aggression, even one as indefensible as this, because to not do so will make it harder down the road when the league wants to suspend someone less deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes