PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Uninspiring draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
like what we did for next year, like moss, like meriweather, warm on Brown, the other guys Im not even sure will make the team. its obvious the Pats did not like this draft.

After Merriweather will anyone else make the team? I would have drafted 2/3 LB's and see if anyone can be a backup and possible future starter.
I am happy with Moss but surprised in the rest of the picks.
Strange draft

After Merriweather will anyone else make the team? I would have drafted 2/3 LB's and see if anyone can be a backup and possible future starter.
Strange draft

The problem is that the Pats NEED players to make this team. Particularly at ILB. Alexander is a very good special teamer. Mays, in my honest opinion, was last year's equivalent of Dexter Reid and he won't make the team this year.

The Pats also had reserve O-linemen and D-linemen spaces available.

I am disappointed they didn't add more in the way of safety.

I am also disappointed that they only added one CB. Eddie Jackson is probably going to be PUPed along with Chad Jackson, and I expect BOTH to end up IRed unless there are injuries that force them to be activated.

However, I don't see Mays or Alexander having secured their spots. Chad Scott definitely doesn't have a spot secure. Neither does Randall Gay for that matter.

like what we did for next year, like moss, like meriweather, warm on Brown, the other guys Im not even sure will make the team. its obvious the Pats did not like this draft.
ya whats your point, have you liked the off season? if you havent i think you neen another team

The problem is that the Pats NEED players to make this team. Particularly at ILB. Alexander is a very good special teamer. Mays, in my honest opinion, was last year's equivalent of Dexter Reid and he won't make the team this year.

I am also disappointed that they only added one CB. Eddie Jackson is probably going to be PUPed along with Chad Jackson, and I expect BOTH to end up IRed unless there are injuries that force them to be activated.

However, I don't see Mays or Alexander having secured their spots. Chad Scott definitely doesn't have a spot secure. Neither does Randall Gay for that matter.
the guys you talk about have been in the system and understand the system and are good backup players which every team needs any linebacker drafted would be probably slotted behind mays and alexander, also dont give up on alexander he was thrown into a tough sitaution, and may have gotten valuable experiece

Strange draft

1)Merriweather-Great pick
2)Welker-Great pick
3)Traded to Oakland, weird move.
4)Moss-Great pick
4)Kareem Brown-weird move, would have traded an extra #6 to try to get DeOssie
5)Oldenburg-ok pick, makes sense, a former TE light weight Tackle, fits zone blocking scheme.
6)Justin Rogers-weird pick, would have drafted Desmond Bishop or John Wendling in that spot. Like his size though.
6)Mike Richardson-Ok pick, at this point, CB depth is all you can wish for.
6)Justise Hairston-Good pick, very talented, has great size, and may be the power back to spell Maroney, I hope he has a great training camp and makes the team.
6)Corey Hilliard-Good pick, was rated higher than Oldenburg by some.
7)Oscar Lua-weird pick, no way I take this guy over Siler, I don't care what anyone says, Siler is head and shoulders above Tua.
7)Mike Elgin-ok pick, line depth and possible practice squad player. Would have gone with Kyle Young here, but Elgin is very light, may be a good zone blocker.

Overall I would give the Pats draft an "A", but without Welker & Moss, a "C-".

I would agree, but they got a great safety and a pretty good D line prospect. You can't find something in a draft that just isn't there, and when your competing with 32 other teams (as well as picking at the bottom of the round) you are not going to get every player you want. When you look at the draft, you have to look at the offseason overall. We signed a bunch of free agents who filled needs, and other teams who were not very active in free agency had to fill the void by trying to get more out of the draft. The Colts, for example, while I think they had a very good draft they had to trade their first round pick from next year for a guard in the second round. That is a calculated risk which they were more inclined to make because they did not have a booming offseason in terms of free agents. The Colts get the benefit of the doubt because they have shown that they are one of the select teams in the NFL who truly know what they are doing when it comes to personnel aquisition and the draft. The Patriots are the same way.

Belichick has shown through that if he sees a problem with personnel, he will not ignore it. He will go full force in trying to address it, (case in point, our WR pick ups this offseason.) So if you think that Belichick sees we have other problems on our roster but ignored them, history will show otherwise.

Last edited:
The problem is that the Pats NEED players to make this team.

I am also disappointed that they only added one CB.
Agree. We will suck in 2007, but on the bright side, if they go 4-12 this year, we will have good draft picks next year.

2)Welker-Great pick
4)Moss-Great pick
5)Oldenburg-ok pick, makes sense, a former TE light weight Tackle, fits zone blocking scheme.
6)Justin Rogers-weird pick, would have drafted Desmond Bishop or John Wendling in that spot. Like his size though.
6)Justise Hairston-Good pick, very talented, has great size, and may be the power back to spell Maroney, I hope he has a great training camp and makes the team.
7)Oscar Lua-weird pick, no way I take this guy over Siler, I don't care what anyone says, Siler is head and shoulders above Tua.
7)Mike Elgin-ok pick, line depth and possible practice squad player. Would have gone with Kyle Young here, but Elgin is very light, may be a good zone blocker.

I would agree with this assessment, for the most part.

Also consider that we have an extra first round pick to look forward to next year, and there is a good chance that will end up being higher than the 28th we traded.

Agree. We will suck in 2007, but on the bright side, if they go 4-12 this year, we will have good draft picks next year.

Nice of you to pick garbage out of the air that wasn't said. If you are going to comment, at least don't make stuff up... You used to be better than that.

2)Welker-Great pick
4)Moss-Great pick

I think that this is a fair overall analysis....I was surprised that they didn't go after Siler....or perhaps Deossie in this draft.....and took Lua........But overall, when you now look at the ENTIRE OFFSEASON moves made by BB for both draft and FA.......it was an absolutely BRILLIANT offseason........Stallworth, Moss, Washington, Jackson, and even Welker in the slot... as your 2007 New England Pats WR's? ...ummm....Pinch me,......unreal.......We quite obviously now have the most TALENTED WR CORPS IN THE NFL!!!!

Our defense is going to be kick ***** next year as well......I am a little concerned with LB and secondary but not much.......I am a little concerned also with our OL picture......Light can be turnstile (sp) one game......and awesome the next.......alot of the other players are inconsistent as well......thought BB might have gone after another OL (Most especially gone after that center in the draft.....forget the guy's name......but he was highly touted and didn't go until later in draft)......anyways, overall we had a great offseason......GO PATS!!!!!

Well put.

Overall when I look at this offseason it can be nothing but an A

Prizes
- Top defensive free agent (Thomas)
- WR upgrades and Randy Moss, Stallworth
- 5 first day picks in 2008 - 2 in round 1, 1 in round 2, 2 in round 3

Draft
- quite frankly I thought it sucked, I should take a step back and respond within a day or so but as of today I am less than impressed.
- I agree with many of the other posts, main beefs:
- where are the reinforcements at ILB? and CB?
- OL, arguably our 2nd or 3rd deepest position and we draft 3 players?

Time to start studying up on the 08 LBs (although what the hell is the point). Also don't forget to cheer against San Francisco.

2)Welker-Great pick
4)Moss-Great pick

It never fails to amaze me that in spite of the amazing success of this staff, people not even in football think they know more than them. I make my "guesses" on draft day too,with the hope of thinking like BB, but if the Pats go in another direction I certainly don't think it's them that made the mistakes. I was a fan of Siler too, but if BB/ lets him go by and picks Lua ahead of him then I would say it's about a 100% certainty the Lua is better than Siler for the Patriots system

Last edited:
I don't see how you can complain about this weekend......they accomplished so much

Randy being the tops

Also when we are picking in the top ten(hopefully) next year with the 49ers pick you will think back to this year and say what a weekend....

I like Merriweather aka hit stick should be a good replacement for Rodney in a year or two and he is veratile in the meantime to play nickle.

the only other thing that I have to say is that I suggest you all look at the roster and realize how much talent there is top to bottom scariest team I have ever seen on paper (paper can mean nothing but it has to mean a little more when the paper as a header that reads 3 time champ already)

when do the games begin, I guess TC is not that far......

Last edited:
Merriweather will start this year in place of Geno Wilson. Wilson really slid the past two years and will likely be the one playing nickle IMO.

Merriweather will start this year in place of Geno Wilson. Wilson really slid the past two years and will likely be the one playing nickle IMO.

I'ld like that for 2 reasons...it would mean Merriweather worked out and Geno is playing corner which is what he was drafted for.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the pats trade one or more of the WR camp or in preseason right before the first cuts for someone that they might have had interest in this years draft but couldn't get. For example if Plexiglass or anyother of the Giants WR for that matter gets hurt in training camp they might be willing to trade a Zach DeOssie for a WR that could step in and maybe start for them.

guys are d line is young and the best in the nfl we only need back ups there thats what we got are LBS are a lil old but right now the best in the nfl and we have some backups there are to starting CBS are young samule and hobbs and i think there the best to CBS in the nfl we have the james gay and company backing them up harrison at SS and sanders backing him up and Meriweather or willson at FS we have a good D we can only have 53 man so for this yer we are good with 2 first round picks for next yer so we are set

guys are d line is young and the best in the nfl we only need back ups there thats what we got are LBS are a lil old but right now the best in the nfl and we have some backups there are to starting CBS are young samule and hobbs and i think there the best to CBS in the nfl we have the james gay and company backing them up harrison at SS and sanders backing him up and Meriweather or willson at FS we have a good D we can only have 53 man so for this yer we are good with 2 first round picks for next yer so we are set

Cousins, Can't agree with anyone on Sanders. He's a possible cut (one can hope). If I am GM he was cut on the plane ride back from Indy. It was like he had money on the Colts! He was the matador at the goal line when Adai scored with a minute lest, It's torture to see the replay for the millionth time, as Adai attempts to score and Sanders jump out of the way on the one yard line. I have never seen an NFL player purposely step out of the way so an opposing player can score in an NFL Championship game. I am surprised Harrison didn't kill him on the sideline. No court in Mass. would have convicted Rodney either. Sanders is just plain awful. I'd rather have old Mel playing back up this year to Rodney. Listen, I guess Sanders might have had a terrible playoff game, but at the least he was awful the rest of the season too.

The Pats had a chance to get Wending and/or Stone in round 6. I think it was an over site because they were supposed to be gone in round three and four respectively. Someone in the "war-room" thought it was a mirage or a trick. Was Pees in the Mens room (woops on that line) when the picks were made?
Either of the above two would be higher on the roster than Sanders right now IMO.
Now we have to draft a SS in 2008 or get one off the FA pile.
DW Toys

Justin Rogers intrigues me. He could end up being a steal.

It seems that the default plan was to draft offensive linemen with potential and let Dante pick the one or two best to stick on the practice squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes