Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unemplyoment #s ---- state by state

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Interesting map. There are many theories people could draw as to the perception of the economic crisis and the attitude of each states residents toward whats happening acros the entire nation.

Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It does appear that the middle is less affected by unemployment right now... but not sure why you're so giddy about, especially when the red states receive the most federal aid/welfare in the union, mostly funds from states on the 2 coasts

4. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Because the "liberal" states are subsidizing the "conservative" states.

5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +155 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

6. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Really.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Aggregate numbers do not mean a whole lot without figuring percentages.. if you read the chart RI is #37, however is #2 in unemployment.. so this theory is blown out of the water.

The largest cash welfare program, TANF is a federal program anyways... so not sure how states are burdened with this. Do you remember the president who initiated the largest welfare reform in recent memory?? Here is a hint first name Bill and second name Clinton.

8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Tell me how the crime, high school dropout, per capita income, life expectancy and personal bankruptcy rates look in the conservative states, Michael.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just how relevant do you think 6 year old stats are? I suppose you deserve a cookie though for getting all the way through a post without calling someone an azzhole.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Interesting how the states with the highest unemployment rates are the ones that enjoyed the greatest rises of real estate values during the peak of the market. California, Nevada, Rhode Island, Oregon (the exception being Michigan which is getting slammed by the collapse of the domestic auto industry). Massachusetts is getting hit hard by RE market highs and lows, but it looks like we're absorbing it a little better than the others, but not much. Read where the Cawminealth came out with an estimate of when the unemployment rate will peak....THIRD QUARTER OF 2010!

Hang onto your hats!

11. shmessy

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Georgia and Florida are liberal?

You can't make generalizations about this map There are different reasons for all sorts of declines. For instance, Florida forclosures are probably due to the high rate of vacation properties for retirees who find themselves having to return up north to their families and those who have a second home have to let them go and many are just walking. Arizona and Nevada have the highest rate of property abandonment which sets off a domino effect where neighboring properties then drop and so on...

Again, much of this mess can be traced to real estate speculation where people were under the illusion that their increased property values were real and would last forever. It's a symptom of our cultural ADD and banks giving out loans like drunken sailors. I remember when My house peaked in value a few years ago. Banks were offering me loans through re-financing that were three times what I paid for the house a dozen years ago. It was insane! They couldn't wait to give me money based on obviously inflated valuation that I would never have been able to pay back without working 18 hours a day.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

All six New England states in the top 12 for overall health! I love living in New England!

Schmessy's 100% right!
    That IS all that matters when you cut through the bullsh!t. Nothing is more important.

14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

Not really. Would you prefer to kill yourself your entire life, to pay for the 4 methodone, WT, wilder beast's that were throwing F bombs on my street for a half hour this morning? All so you can "retire" at 70, and live to be 80, while spending 8 of those 10 "golden years" drooling on yourself, in some nursing home on the north shore, while the state further strips you of anything you might have left. Some people might prefer to live to 70, having actually enjoyed most of their life, since the state didn't confiscate 5 or so % of their pay for 50 years, along with all other kinds of fees, fines, & fukcery from their first paycheck on. Personally, I'll take 70 years of joyfull life, over 80 years of working to support other people, and drooling on myself. If you can guarantee me that I'll live long, and happily, then sure, I'll opt for living longer. However, there is a distinct difference between living, and being kept alive. I personally prefer the former, over the latter, but everyone's not necessarily like me.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

BTW, the bigger gubmit states are worse off financially, than the smaller gubmit states.

16. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

That's it! I'm moving to North Dakota. :eek:

17. shmessy

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

And the entire bottom ten states are in the South.

P.S. - - I love how the chart uses RED for those states and BLUE for the healthy ones! ;)

18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

The chart isn't showing life expectancy, RW.

It is showing personal HEALTH INDEX scores - - i.e. health QUALITY of life.

Sorry you had to write that very long and colorful rant only to be Emily Littella ("Ooh, neeeeever mind") :D

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

Ah, ok. I didn't click the link and "assumed" it was a life expectancy issue. My appologies. Anyhow, after clicking the link, and seeing the methodology, I can say I don't really care for rankings. Why? Cuz their idea of what makes a state "healthy" on the list, doesn't apply to me.

Here's Nevada for example, these are the line items used to grade a state.

StateMaster - Nevadan Health statistics

What do I care how many people have the clap, or whether or not someone has high blood pressure. I'm more concerned with myself, and my personal quality of life. If someone wants to be fat, then that is their perogative. Personal health is what's important. Personaly quality of life is as well. This goes to my point I made above. I PERSONALLY would prefer 70 years of quality living, to 80 years, if the 80 means slobbing along for other people, while drooling on myself when those goldens come along. That the place I live in has a lot of overweight, clamidia carriers, is inconsequential to that. HOWEVER, the amount of sodomy a state enacts upon an indivuals wallet, over a lifetime, is consequential.

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

RW,
    I don't know you well enough to tell you to get out of Mass., and I'm not saying it because I don't like you, but man! You gotta get out of here! You truly hate living here and desperately want to live somewhere else. I know you have family business commitments, but you really have to get out of those asap!

It's been a long, rough winter, I know, but spring's right around the corner! Hang in there. The girls at BU will be patrolling Comm Ave. very soon. Maybe we can have a beer at one of the bars there in April and watch out the window together and remember why Boston's such a great city.:D