Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unemployment Numbers Suggest U.S. Economic Boom

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Mar 17, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

....or not

The real title of the Gallup article is

"Unemployment Numbers Suggest U.S. Economic Boom, or Not"

"A careful look at the government's unadjusted household unemployment data shows a stunning 740,000 jobs added to the economy in February -- three times the 227,000 reported based on the establishment payroll survey. If this is economic reality, then the underlying economy must be growing much faster than most Americans currently believe. If the U.S. economy is surging, and jobs increased at the rate of three-quarters of a million last month, why haven't we heard a lot more about it? And, given a rapidly expanding economy, how can Gallup's nearly 30,000 random interviews with Americans across the nation show a significant increase in the unemployment rate?"

Gallup.Com - The Behavioral Economy by Dennis Jacobe: Unemployment Numbers Suggest U.S. Economic Boom, or Not

Nice to see a mainstream source belaboring our gov't (lies) reports on the unemployment trend data.

No, this isn't because Reagan changed the way it's reported. It's about mathematically sound rationale. And to date, our gov't is not using sound rationale, they're "trying" to sway public thinking into believing something that is not true.

Our economy did not add 740,000 jobs in February....that's lie #1.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +341 / 60 / -86

#87 Jersey

37 straight months of unemployment over 8%. The most since the 30's depression.
    Trickle down poverty.
    Wages 10% lower than 4 years ago.
    Gas has doubled.
    Milk for the baby on the rise.
    Dollar ain't worth a shiit.

3. Stilla

Stilla On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

After reading the link, I understood that the economy is growing.
    What else do you want, a magic show?

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +805 / 26 / -33

I prefer the eyeball test, and what I see is that lots of folks are spending money, and even though many are not doing well.. many are.

In Harrisburg was going to go to a gun show at a farm exhibit hall, could not even get in the parking lot of this huge venue. Had to wait in a mile long line, which I bailed out of. Come to find out there were 4 shows in this complex; monster truck, cat, holstein and the gun show.. there were a lot of folks there and the lots were overflowing.

No matter where I go people are buying, if unemployment was as bad as they say it was do not think it would look this bad.

I think that during this time we have evolved to an underground economy, and lots of people are working under the table to make ends meet.

But the fact remains is that Reagan did change the way we counted the unemployed and there are those who wish to change back, for no other reason except it makes sense to them, not necessarily anyone else.

5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 27 / -22

#75 Jersey

Talk about manufacturing STRAWMAN arguments!

Who said anything about 740,000 new jobs added in February?

U.S. gains 227,000 jobs in February - MarketWatch

Economy gained 227K jobs in Feb.; more unemployed rejoin workforce - The Washington Post

Getting Better: U.S. Economy Adds More Jobs Than Expected in February | Fox Business

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/10/b...bs-last-month-rate-at-8-3.html?pagewanted=all

U.S. Payroll Gain Caps Best Six-Month Job Growth Streak Since

Search through any of those accounts. Where does the number 740,000 appear. NOT ONE TIME.

So, basically, this guy at Gallup and you are manufacturing controversy. Your disinformation campaign continues........

OK, I'll play.

"A careful look at Bill Belichick's claims that the New England Patriots won 9 Super Bowls so far this century-- three times the 3 reported based on everyone's eyeballs. If this is reality, then the Patriots have perfromed far better than most Americans currently believe. If the Patriots won 9 Super Bowls, why haven't we heard a lot more about it? And, given such domination, how can Gallup's nearly 30,000 random interviews with Americans across the nation show a significant increase in Patriots haters?"

6. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 27 / -22

#75 Jersey

By the way, this is what your "mainstream source" (and the SAME writer) put out the very next day:

U.S. Economic Confidence Is Now The Best It's Been In Four Years

"U.S. economic confidence improved sharply to -18 in the week ending March 11 from -25 the prior week -- the highest since the week ending Feb. 13, 2011, when it was also -18. The -18 readings this year and last are the highest weekly levels Gallup has recorded since it started tracking confidence daily in January 2008......

.....Bottom Line

Americans' confidence in the economy surged last week, at least in part as a result of the positive unemployment report from the government, which it released Friday. The government reported 227,000 jobs were added in February and the unemployment rate held steady at 8.3%. Many viewed these numbers as a continuation of the good news on jobs in January. Some economists and many on Wall Street also saw the recent unemployment report as an indication that the U.S. economy may be doing better than previously thought....."

FUNNY- NO MENTION OF 740,000 ANYWHERE in his next day March 13th article.

Perhaps this guy just remembered to takes his meds on March 13th?

No explanation yet of YOUR basis for the 740,000 strawmen, however.

7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

There are no jobs without growth... there is no growth without abundant, cheap energy.

It's really quite simple.

Both sides can play with numbers and blame the other all they like. But they can not hide the basic laws of thermodynamics.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As someone on the front lines in the construction industry I can say that there does seem to be a little life out there. Just a little mind you and everyone is still pretty much an a-hole to each other; but I'd swear that there's budding signs of better days ahead.

Of course it could be the fact that I'm an optimist and I'm searching desperately for reasons not to put a gun barrel in my mouth:D

9. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 27 / -22

#75 Jersey

C'mon. You live in Brighton and you're in the construction industry?????

Between the Harvard multi billion dollar Allston campus getting revived and the New Balance City about to go to work, there should be about $2 billion of construction bubbling just in your part of the Boston!

If you can't see that, I can't help you.

From the other website I'm a member of:

Allston-Brighton Developments - Page 26 - archBOSTON.org

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Actually I have seen both those projects only recently come back to life. That's part of why I'm being optimistic.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

If we measured unemployment using the same methodology we did back in the depression, the correct statement would be

"37 consecutive months with Unemployment over 15%"

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

In my opinion, it's people like you who have a realistic perspective of our economic condition. Without significant increases in demand for construction, we'll go no where. And all that hinges upon private housing, not public construction projects.

When people start to build SINGLE family homes, put on additions, upgrade their kitchens, etc., then we can talk solid recovery.

Please keep us posted.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree that there must be a big increase in working "off the books". I don't blame anyone for doing that as we all have to whatever we have to in order to survive.

It makes a lot sense too. I had a decent amount of work done to my house last summer and I paid the guy cash. I think he gave me a good deal because it was a cash transaction. He asked me upfront if I could pay him in cash (before he gave me an estimate).

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +805 / 26 / -33

The Dead Reagan Society is proud of you.. but he changed the way we count the unemployed, to make him look good and Carter look bad..

While there are those who long an pine for bringing back a different way of counting the unemployed, their silence is noted during previous administrations...

Look around it is amazing, the investor class is getting richer and richer.. and a whole lot of poor folk are barely getting by.

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +805 / 26 / -33

Coupled with the biggest crop of all, M., things are pretty good for some who do not make statistics on a government chart unless they get busted during, "The war on drugs".....

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +763 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Isn't one of your big gripes with illegals that they work for cash and, hence, do not contribute their fair share of taxes.

Don't you just hate the fact that some people don't pay their fair share - or, even worse, that they don't pay any share at all?

Doesn't it just normally infuriate you that you pay taxes on the money you make and others do not?

Apparently rules and "doing the right thing" only matter when they don't actually concern you.

17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 15 / -8

So let me get this straight. New housing starts can be up, sales of existing homes can be up, but "only talk to you when you can parse out specifically single-family dwellings"... and "When existing homeowners start getting work done to their houses..."

Maybe we should also hold off talking to you about housing until every house we are talking about has a new white picket fence and a flag outside with the insignia of a midwestern university?

It sounds like you've now cooked up a reason why specifically urban dwellings should be exempted from the economy. Very odd. Looking forward to hearing the rationale.

Oh and by the way, when you had a lot of work done to your home last year, did that count as people having work done to a home that we should call you about?

PFnV

18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,925 / 27 / -22

#75 Jersey

Incredible.

So your criteria is that the same mistakes made over the years to get us INTO the housing market crisis should be repeated to get the nation OUT of it.

Overall private construction is key. Whether that contains people living WITHIN THEIR MEANS in housing is fine. OVERALL private construction going in the right direction is the criteria.

You can split hairs wishing that folks were going back to single family home building and marble sinks in the bathrooms paid for by home equity loans.

PR, we get your modus operandi by now.

If 9 out of the 10 monthly leading economic indicators rise this month, you will concentrate on the one that didn't and concentrate your position. 'Doesn't matter that the stock market is up, corporations are raising their dividends and the ISM is steadily increasing....... gas prices are HIGH!!!!!!'

Go ahead. If everything were opposite and total private construction decreases, but single family homes building increases, I'm sure you'll suddenly come to your senses......but only out of expediency to making your point.

19. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

FWIW, I don't care what sort of work increases, just that there's an increase. I mostly do remodeling in private homes but that's irrelevant. Even though I wouldn't have anything to do with a high rise, the guys that do work on high rises leave my work alone when they're doing high rises.

School letting out is a super happy day for me. The union guys all go in to remodel the schools when the kids come out, and btw all those bastages work under the table cheap while they're waiting for school to let out because they're also collecting while they're smashing the bottom out of my end of the remodeling industry.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Not really mrsp....

My biggest gripe with illegals is the fact they're ILLEGAL and don't deserve to be in our country.

I hate when WEALTHY people don't pay their fair share...but if joe or jane shmoe have to do a little moonlighting in difficult economic times (like now) in order to provide for themselves and their family, I'm fine with it. Which is why I'm going to offer to pay cash to get some more work done on my home this summer. I usually get much lower offers if I offer to pay in cash.

Rules only matter when everyone abides by them and we authorize the creation of the rules....since we run this country.

Personally, I'm doing very well and I'm grateful for that. Just got a very large bonus and a very large raise because I'm darn good at what I do. So I don't mind kicking in my fair share.

But if I got laid off and couldn't find a job for 2 years, you bet your fanny I'd consider moonlighting to get by. It's the American-way as long as you're an American!