PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Unemployment line shocker: Bears to let Rivera go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes you wonder if something is afoot with this guy - lots of buzz and interviews for HC vacancies and he ends up an unemployed DC from a team that went to the Superbowl. Strange indeed.

Makes you wonder if something is afoot with this guy - lots of buzz and interviews for HC vacancies and he ends up an unemployed DC from a team that went to the Superbowl. Strange indeed.

Yes. I think it's reasonable to assume that there's some sort of "story" here, which will come out, probably before the day is over.

That is a suprise. Wonder if could have anything to do with Lovie's contract situation?

I don't understand. His contract is up. He's been interviewing for head coaching jobs. He probably thinks he can make more elsewhere.

maybe he ruffled some feathers , during his interviews . i guess we'll know soon enough.

Where Lovie was the lowest paid HC around, I'ds think the assistants weren't likely paid much either compared to jobs with other teams. I suspect he didn't want to sign a deal where he continued to be, in his mind at least, underpaid.

I like Dan Pees, but I wonder if Rivera would be a better choice ?

I like Dan Pees, but I wonder if Rivera would be a better choice ?

Riveria to the best of my knowledge doesn't have experience in the 3-4. P Johnson would be a better choice.

Pees did a fine job this year no reason to change. Especially since he won't be a head coaching candidate due to age.

Riveria to the best of my knowledge doesn't have experience in the 3-4. P Johnson would be a better choice.

Pees did a fine job this year no reason to change. Especially since he won't be a head coaching candidate due to age.

* Any problems the Patriots D had in the playoffs weren't because of tnhe DC anymre than any O problems were because of the OC.

Never underestimate the injuries-the fact that they DID get this far sans Tommy Harris and Mike Brown was really remarkable-but it really showed in the SB.

Should Rivera have been more aggressive with blitzes? Probably-but sans those 2 guys, it probably limited to what he could do anyways.

It sounds to me like it was mostly about money. And the article says John Clayton is reporting he is about to become the Chargers new DC.

It sounds to me like it was mostly about money. And the article says John Clayton is reporting he is about to become the Chargers new DC.

If so, that's a spectacular stroke of luck for the Chargers. To fire your HC that late in the game and still have time to land a coordinator of Rivera's caliber is extraordinary.

If so, that's a spectacular stroke of luck for the Chargers. To fire your HC that late in the game and still have time to land a coordinator of Rivera's caliber is extraordinary.
I don't know if tampering applies here (does the March 1st date apply to coaches under contract?) but I suspect Rivera knew there was a big paycheck waiting for him in San Diego, and tried to force Da Bears to match it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes