Welcome to PatsFans.com

Unemployment falls to 7.7 percent

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Kid~Brady, Dec 7, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

#1, you take this site WAY too seriously.

the link to Tyler whatevah the fugg wasn't from me....as I stated in my post. It was sent to me and I didn't even look at it.

Now maybe you like to spend you time off digging into gov't data, but I don't....most normal people don't...but go ahead, it's a free country. Knock yourself out.

Length of post and digging into data are the signs you think too much and take this stuff too seriously. You're almost competitive with this stuff....why would anyone be that way?

I dunno.....

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 15 / -8

Chronic attention to facts, PR broh. I'm turning into an inveterate wonk. Occupational hazard.

I'm going to try to be neutral and not competitive with this next part. In fact, let's just say this to typify this exchange, not even each other's "traits" as if we're frozen in time. After all, one or the other of us could do more research at any given point (although maybe you're right, and I like the research more just as a character trait.)

Now then, in this exchange, I think you came here to spout stuff, just unload something that vaguely feels true to you.

I came here, read the ongoing thread, and realized that it was build on a number of terribly basic errors. I happen to know the details of how such errors normally come up, and I'm bored.

So I take a little while to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

The truth of wonky stuff like this is never simple, so it's never viral. Try to package it up into a bumper sticker, and it's likely to fail.

So until we're smarter as a country, and don't take politics and policy to be exchanges of fact-free pablum, we have a problem. We'll be groping blindly, all the while tearing out our hair over how terrible everything is (and without a clue as to whether everything, or for that matter, anything, is terrible or not.)

So that's why I take politics and policy seriously.

It's okay with me that you don't, in this particular case.

If these are just our relative character traits, also fine. The world needs both wonks and lightweights. Lightweights are probably more fun at parties. Wonks aren't much fun at all, but are better at working on the types of problems we're talking about.

Frankly, I can't wait to retire, so I can have fun again without thinking someone is going to talk about it at the water cooler the next Monday.

PFnV

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I make my living sifting through data day after day....no way I'm going to do it my sparet time too unless I can make some "under the table" $$ doing it.;)

Our society has become obsessed with this or that...it's a MAJOR problem yet people seem to want to just accept it.

What ever facts I can find, you can find some that counter mine and vice-versa ad infinitum and nausea. So why even start? You think going from 11% unemployment to 7.6 or whatever (see? Either one of those 2 numbers may be wrong, but no way in hell I'm going to check...because I really don't care enough) is great news and I think everythings pretty much the same as it was 3 years ago. We just shifted millions of jobs from decent paying, full-time jobs to crappy part-time jobs.

To me, I see no positive in that at all.

I bet you make a list before you travel and check each item off one-by-one. I just throw sheeit in the suitcase and take off. Funny, I rarely ever forget anything and I travel a lot.

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 15 / -8

Nah, I don't check items off a list when I travel. Going to work about 80% of the time I remember I always need my wallet, my ID, my keys, smokes, a lighter, and that other thing, oh yeah, my glasses.

I don't see a rough equivalency in this exchange, PR. I don't see a "nyah nyah nyah" kind of thing. I see one statement that's got some validity -- the jobs being newly taken by a depressed labor market tend to be lower-paid than they were prior to the events that depressed the market. Only a market that needs more labor than presently available changes that -- and that labor has to have the skills to match the market.

You've moved the goalposts to a point we agree on. Your original point is lost; you may keep your sidearm suh.

PFnV

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 15 / -8

And i'm not competitive gaddarmit

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 26 / -33

But we were talking about unemployment, raisins and grapefruit..

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yes...and the fact so many business are cutting hours of full-time employees and hiring more part-time employees has resulted in a false sense of "jobs added". So it is very relevant to a discussion on unemployment.

Also, this fact direct from the BLS....

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

For those who follow the unemployment report on monthly basis, we always take note of government "Revisions" on the number of jobs added. So the BLS over-stated jobs added for September by +16k and by a whopping +33k for October.

So if the jobs added were over-stated and revised, why hasn't the unemployment rate also been revised?:confused:

Makes one think huh?.....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 26 / -33

Your claim was that the Unemployment figures were bogus because Obama changed the definition of full time from 32 hours to 29... and despite all your rhetoric you have not substantiated your claim.

You are talking about two separate systems..

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I'll admit, it's difficult not to be on this board.

And btw....your method of mental-checking your necessities before leaving is exactly the same as mine. So I'll admit my perception of your personality was wrong....but no way in heck I'm like PFiVA!!:eek:

I hate when I lock up, get in my car and realize I have to go back into the house to grab something I forgot. Unlike many, I often forget my cell phone but rarely go back to get it. I just don't see it as a "must have" for daily living.

Guess that means I'm getting old.

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 15 / -8

Forgot to put the phone on the list. :)

I've seen the BLS/headlines say "_____ [month] was revised [upward/downward] to X.X%."

You're just not reading a blog or whatever that includes a percentage adjustment when we see one. Or, the amounts you complain of don't add up to a movement of a tenth of a point, the lowest number usually reported. Revising figures for the previous month or two is certainly not new. BLS is a pretty high-integrity raw data source; they don't "order" them to claim higher numbers one month and lower numbers another month.

PFnV

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Yes, I did. But you seem to be incapable of grasping it.

Just to show I'm not an "aint it awful" kinda guy is this little snippet from Yahoo Finance...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/brea...4-low-markets-remain-skeptical-160237071.html

12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 15 / -8

Yah, sure. Look at Yahoo Finance's link -- provided within the very opinion piece you posted -- from the day before the report came out:

Jobs Report Preview: Resist the Urge to Panic on Weakness Says Wilkinson | Breakout - Yahoo! Finance

Not only isn't there anything aberrant about the November report, but this guy pretty much nailed it ahead of time.

Sandy was built into this number. It's a combination of (1) Sandy not being a job-loss disaster of sufficient size to derail a good report, and (2) gains elsewhere overcoming the effect Sandy did have.

You keep wanting things to be worse than they are. Everything's not rosy. We all know this. Constantly trumpeting that whatever is okay isn't too is just not adding anything. It's a one-trick pony.

PFnV

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

PFiVA, respectfully, you don't have a clue what I want or think. But since you want to play that game...I think you believe whatever you read in the news regarding our economy....as long as it's good news.

I've repeated myself enough that you should know I believe we're being lied to constantly. Sometimes I believe it's because our gov't actually (falsely) believes that by not telling us the entire truth, our economy may improve.

As if we behave on what we hear.:rolleyes: That's not only grossly false, it's a joke. Americans only behave economically based upon their own situation.

Just one example...we're hearing that housing has bottomed. But I'm not sure it has. But people will not buy homes based upon what they read or hear. They'll buy based upon their financial situation.

If Americans could only see on paper the number of good jobs that have been replaced by crappy jobs, then we might be able to have a conversation.

The good news is that in time, enough people will drop out of the labor force that we'll be in a "full-employment" situation. Sure, it will look & sound good, but it won't be true full employment. And certainly not like full employment looked in 2006.

I'll be satisfied when I see good, solid jobs being added where people can prosper and build lives. I guarantee you that has not been happening over the past 4 years.