PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Understanding the negativity towards Belichick by media and fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
misconception: the fans are negative towards BB...
actually, the fans LOVE him!

it's the sore-assed media (pissed about lack of access) who are negative about him

great post, havent posted in awhile, but thanks for the thought out, the sky is not falling insight

Pats Fanatic said:
Loved your post by the way Isaac but I didn't know that BB hated Lord of the Rings that much, it my have been the changes he did to Tolkien's story.:D

Lol, yes, meant Tom Jackson. But maybe BB gave one to Peter as well for those damn changes. How could they have had Frodo and Sam fight?!?

Last edited:
As I said above, Great Post. I usually just skim long posts, but I went through yours line by line. I agree with just about everything, but am reluctant to canonize him just yet. Here's my quick take.

Misconception 1 (B vs. A players). I agree, but I think his genius lies just as much in finding A Players whom others think are B players, as I also suspect you agree that we wouldn't have three Lombardi's without Brady, Harrison, McGinest and a few other A players.

2. True on the facts.

3. absolutely right. BB and Pioli wait for value

4. agree with the conclusion but would change the emphasis. i think that the patriots are also always on the lookout for the best available athlete, just one who fits their system.

5. I disagree. I think he IS boring in interviews and that he does it to avoid getting into "chats" with reporters that would allow them to "mine his mind" since that could lead to his giving up too much. I live in NYC and work with someone who was BB's neighbor when he was with the Jets. their family (truly) got to know him quite well and say that he is as funny and charming a guy as you could ever want to know in social and family settings. I just don't think he wants to open up to the press.

6. I think it differs by player but that most of them are just content to follow his rules since "it works". In comparison with other teams' players, they are boring. but when you think of TO and Keyshawn etc. "boring is good."

7. totally agree

8. again, totally agree. these folks are confusing "demonstrative" with "emotional."

9. disagree. like many, highly successful people in business, the arts, media, etc., he is a bit arrogant. what's wrong with that? he's earned the right and, as a fan, i kind of like it.

10. mostly agree. he cares what a relatively few people think about him: the list started with his dad and continued through one or two close HS friends and then expanded to include the coaching community and then expanded a bit as he gained notariety. these are the people among whom he wants to define his reputation. as a father, he cares very much what his close community thinks of him. he doesn't care what most of us think about him, though. i think this comes through very clearly in David Halberstam's book, which I highly recommend to you if you haven't read it.

11. completely agree. and you leave out the chaos that ensued when Modell announced he was moving the team.

12. I completely agree, but others will debate it for a long time. I've kept track. Parcell's record WITH BB as Defensive Coordinator or Assistant Head Coach (as of the end of the 05/06 Season): 105-54-0 (.660), Five Division Championships, Three Conference Championships and Two SB Wins; Parcell's record WITHOUT BB as Defensive Coordinator or Assistant Head Coach (through 05/06 season): 58-69-1 (.457), No Division Championships, No Conference Championships, No SB Wins. Any questions?

13. more or less agree. my answer would be: "Who knows? Who cares?" I think Brady owes more to BB than vice versa, btw.

14. agree.

PatsWorldChamps said:

it's the sore-assed media (pissed about lack of access) who are negative about him

I agree, I think the FOB's outnumber the detractors by at least 100-1. If you are a Patriots fan - what's not to love here? That is the point, Borges and the media are not fans, they are paid to stir things up and get people to read their articles. The wrong Borges types can only accomplish this by being wrong and negative.

The BB led Patriots have brought us Superbowls, playoff wins galore, respect beyond belief. That is the simple fact and answer to the media idiots.

PatsWorldChamps said:

fgssand said:
I agree, I think the FOB's outnumber the detractors by at least 100-1. If you are a Patriots fan - what's not to love here? That is the point, Borges and the media are not fans, they are paid to stir things up and get people to read their articles. The wrong Borges types can only accomplish this by being wrong and negative.

The BB led Patriots have brought us Superbowls, playoff wins galore, respect beyond belief. That is the simple fact and answer to the media idiots.

I would love it if you two were right on this. In hindsight my thinking in this post of the negative fans was influenced by negative threads here and on KFFL (mainly by newer posters with titles like "the sky is falling" and "the run is over"), emails to PFW radio and ask PFW (which did run primarily against the team---a point against your case), and that "Almost 39% of Pats 'FANS' have lost faith" thread. Maybe (hopefully) you are right and these sources don't give an accurate representation of the fans. Generalizing about fans is always risky and near-impossible to assess.

Nonetheless, even if 99% of fans are as supportive of BB as they ought to be, I still don't think nearly that percentage really get him and understand his system. If they did the appreciation might be more heartfelt and have staying power (e.g., through a couple losing seasons down the road). Of course you can't expect fans to acquire these insights if the media is constantly running a counter campaign. At this point you either need to be extremely dedicated and informed or read Halberstam's book.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
Awesome post - dead nuts on in most all respects. Issac, your story should be picked up by media and spread far and wide.

I for one am enjoying this rare combination of terrific ownership coupled with a system (from front office, on the field, awesome scouting group, right down to talented and appreciated interns (I know 2 interns and they are treated with respect).

We are very fortunate to have BB heading up the football operations of this golden age of New England Patriot football.

Couldn't agree more fgssand! Great post Issac, it really should be posted somewhere outside of this forum as you're preaching to the choir here for the most part. Would love to see this reprinted next to Borges's column in the Globe next week!!!!

Hoodie said:
Part of the reason for media's misunderstanding is because BB refuses to explain himself. The less he explains the more the media baits him, the less he explains. It infuriates them. (Although explaining, as the Red Sox tried to do also infuruates them so I guess you can't win.)
<--snip-->
ClosingTime said:
<--snip-->
1. Clearly BB is ornery with the press and at times downright obtuse. Journalists covering a beat for years expect there to be a certian level of repoire and friendliness from the people they are covering on a daily basis. BB doesn't go for this. All reporters ask stupid questions at times, most know the questions are kinda stupid but they put them forth to ellicit a certain response for a certain story they are writing. Again BB will not play their game. So, the journalists get pissed and wait for their chance to get back at him, whether they do this consciously or not is a matter for debate. But regardless they have let their personal feelings get in the way of analysis.
<--snip-->
PatsFanSince74 said:
<--snip-->
5. I disagree. I think he IS boring in interviews and that he does it to avoid getting into "chats" with reporters that would allow them to "mine his mind" since that could lead to his giving up too much. I live in NYC and work with someone who was BB's neighbor when he was with the Jets. their family (truly) got to know him quite well and say that he is as funny and charming a guy as you could ever want to know in social and family settings. I just don't think he wants to open up to the press.
<--snip-->

Great food for thought. I admit that I'm a BB apologist, but perhaps he does shoulder some of the blame. This whole access issue has got me thinking---do these reporters want access for information that BB just isn't going to leak (e.g., injuries and contract negotiations) or does BB actually shut them out on legitimate scoops as well? It's a chicken-and-the-egg situation---would BB give better access if the local media were understanding?

One example is that there are a lot of how-does-it-feel questions that BB answers by saying "this is not the time to talk about this". I don't begrudge BB this because to him it really isn't the time, he's thinking about the next opponent. But, what if a decent reporter asked him if he would be willing to have one press conference per year, scheduled at his convenience, when such issues were discussed? Would he deny this?

My guess is that BB would genuinely prefer an open and friendly relationship with a media that understands him, asks great questions, and guards information tightly. I'd hoped Mike Reiss would be a path blazer on this, but it hasn't gone too far. As PatsFanSince74 points out, all indications are that he's a jovial and charming guy. Does anyone remember the Friday press conferences he used to have when he'd ask the questions? Those were great---why did they stop? Maybe we need some sort of PatsFans/Mike Reiss/Fred Kirsch intervention to stop this insanity and get BB and the media to start afresh, this is just football after all.

Isaac said:
would BB give better access if the local media were understanding?
My guess is that BB would genuinely prefer an open and friendly relationship with a media that understands him, asks great questions, and guards information tightly. I'd hoped Mike Reiss would be a path blazer on this, but it hasn't gone too far. Does anyone remember the Friday press conferences he used to have when he'd ask the questions? Those were great---why did they stop? Maybe we need some sort of PatsFans/Mike Reiss/Fred Kirsch intervention to stop this insanity and get BB and the media to start afresh, this is just football after all.
Isaac..GREAT GREAT POST!! POST of the year!! No..more access may indeed mean more chance of leaks and..it is about winning..and not access by the media. I wouldn't want him to..as I want the team to take full advantage of anything and everything. Mike is a straight ahead guy..info first and foremost.."telling it like it is"..which is GREAT!! Not sure when they stopped..BB I am sure is a LOT different than his persona of coach..and people need to understadn that!! I wish that were possible to stop it..but these journalists have their careers and isn't it about the press??? The media is so poor in tis town..they lack so much perspective and integrity.

Bump! Too good to fall so fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back