Welcome to PatsFans.com

Uncanny parallel to Barry Switzer's Cowboys in 1995

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patspsycho, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Shanknancy is calling BB's decision to go for it, one of the worse of all time. He claims that it is right up there with Buckner's whiff (don't ask me the bizarre logic behind that).

As usual, that d-bag is dead wrong.

In 1995, Barry Switzer made a decision to for for it on a 4th and yard on his 29, when the Cowboys played the Eagles. This was the power left play he loved to run, and he had actually ran it TWICE in a row (3rd and then 4th down) Emmitt Smith was stuffed on that 4th down and Switzer was called "Bozo Coach" the next day.

Unlike BB, who only had to get the first down to win the game, Switzer had to go another 40 yards to win.

Now the funny thing is:

Switzer got attacked by the media for pulling such a bone-headed move.

And one unexpected byproduct of this was that the team rallied around him and pulled together.

They won the rest of their games that season.

And won the superbowl.

'Nuff said.

2. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I hope we pull that off

3. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +209 / 3 / -0

this is what i love about BB. All the analysts who say they wouldnt have done it are afraid more about the criticism than actually thinking what is the right or wrong call. BB knew he would getkilled for it and still did it. having 3 rings helps but its a gutsy +ve call wrong or right.

4. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I hope you're right about the rallying around part, but the bolded is a key difference. Switzer calling two power runs back-to-back were a message that he had faith in his team manning up. BB's calls had an air of spontaneity...at 3rd-and-2, you can't tell me he had planned all along to go for it on 4th with THAT 3rd-down call. I think his 4th down call was an "oh poop...we can't give the ball back...let's go for it" moment...a far cry from Switzer's calculated playcalling. I don't know if BB's calls are rally-around material.

Regards,
    Chris

5. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +209 / 3 / -0

i would have had him rather try a long deep ball to moss on 3rd down .even if it was picke dit wouldve been like a punt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.