• Hoyer

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 102 69.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Unbiased Question...

Patsfans.com: We prefer our untested backup QB to a QB who has gotten to the AFCCG 2 years in a row.

PS - Matt Cassell has never gotten to an AFCCG.

I mean I hate the Jets, but good God, this thread is so blinded by bias it hurts.

If the Jets offered us Sanchez for Hoyer straight up, you guys would seriously say no?

I don't have enough on Hoyer to make that call.

look at it this way......for the price of sanchize, you could have......

hoyer
wilfork
mayo
ochocinco
mankins

Patsfans.com: We prefer our untested backup QB to a QB who has gotten to the AFCCG 2 years in a row.

By that logic we should prefer Laurence Maroney to Shane Vereen.

PS - Matt Cassell has never gotten to an AFCCG.

I mean I hate the Jets, but good God, this thread is so blinded by bias it hurts.

in spite of sanchez......not because of him......

I guess you have to lump jay cutler in there...he got to an AFCC.....same with kordell stewart, jake plummer

If the Jets offered us Sanchez for Hoyer straight up, you guys would seriously say no?

What do you gain by saying yes? Sanchez hasn't shown that he's anything more than a glorified game manager with the ability to throw a nice touch ball every once in a while. Who knows what you have with Hoyer. If Im the Patriots Id keep Hoyer and let Sanchez keep handing the ball off to Green and LT.

So me and one of my fellow co-workers (who happens to be a Jets fan) got into a huge debate during my lunch hour. He thinks Sanchez is much better than Brian Hoyer could ever be. I know all Jets fans are so into Sanchez and sees him as the franchise QB but c'mon. I dont hate Sanchez by all means, I think he's a decent QB at best. Accuracy and consistency is his biggest flaws in my eyes.

We both argued the facts. I know we don't have much to go off of since Hoyer doesn't start but from what I've seen, I think Hoyer could be light years ahead of Mark Sanchez honestly. He always looks poised in the pocket and really has a good accuracy. I feel if Hoyer was a starter for another team, he'd have better stats than Sanchez any season.

Some input on this... insights?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but what specifically is the "unbiased question"?

- Is it, as you mentioned above, 'is Sanchez (right now) much better than Hoyer will ever be' - i.e., would the Jets be better of with Hoyer or Sanchez at QB in 2011?
- Is it 'is Sanchez in the future will be better than Hoyer will be in the future'?
- Is it 'if I'm the GM of a playoff contender, which one do I want for my QB in 2011'?
- Is it 'if I'm the GM of a non-playoff contender, which one do I want as I look long term'?
- Is it 'which one is a better value for a team to have'?
etc. ...

It seems to me that the question is so wide open to interpretation that everyone could have their own answer, with everyone being right and nobody being wrong - and that's before you even get into the previously noted commentary that it is impossible to determine due to the fact Hoyer has had no experience as a starter in the NFL.

Hoyer has looked good, even last year's preseason games when he came in. He looks even better now. He plays smart and is accurate. He doesn't wow you with scramble plays or throws it effortlessly down the field, but he knows where his receivers are and he processes the information around him pretty quick. However, Sancez has played in pretty big games and has showed that he can make plays under pressure. It might not look pretty throughout the entire game, but the kid has shown he's got guts.

I'd say give Hoyer a real opportunity in regular season games and in real pressure situations to see how he reacts.

IMO, I think Hoyer is gonna be better than Cassel based on how they both looked as #2 QBs. Time will tell.

I voted for Sanchez even though I despise the Jets more than any team in the history of sports and consider Sanchez a borderline pedophile because, at least for now, he has proven he can compete on the big stage. Hoyer could very well be better, but we have no way of knowing right now.

For now, Sanchez has proven that he can win postseason games and be an okay, albeit inaccurate, starting NFL quarterback. We know that Hoyer is accurate and poised, but other than that the one thing that he really has going in this debate is that we haven't really seen any of him in the regular season, so for all we know he could be the next Tom Brady. Given the odds involved, I have to go with the proven entity.

Is Sanchez better than Hoyer "could ever be"? No. It's not unrealistic to project that Hoyer could be better than Cassel, so who knows. Until Hoyer gets a chance to start, though, I don't see how you can take him over Sanchez straight-up.

Last edited:

At their respective salaries, I probably would say no. Sanchez makes too much money for a player who probably will never see the field with less than a 3 TD lead.

This is like comparing JaMarcus Russel to Tom Brady. No contest. Hoyer all day long.

I honestly can't believe how close this poll is. What a shame that we can't be honest and fair about such an OBVIOUS thing. I like Hoyer plenty, but he's not in the same league as Sanchez -- and I can't STAND Sanchez!

For God's sake, people. How is this even a contest and when exactly did Patsfans get overrun with Junior High recess homers?

Funniest thread in a while..

I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, but what specifically is the "unbiased question"?

- Is it, as you mentioned above, 'is Sanchez (right now) much better than Hoyer will ever be' - i.e., would the Jets be better of with Hoyer or Sanchez at QB in 2011?
- Is it 'is Sanchez in the future will be better than Hoyer will be in the future'?
- Is it 'if I'm the GM of a playoff contender, which one do I want for my QB in 2011'?
- Is it 'if I'm the GM of a non-playoff contender, which one do I want as I look long term'?
- Is it 'which one is a better value for a team to have'?
etc. ...

It seems to me that the question is so wide open to interpretation that everyone could have their own answer, with everyone being right and nobody being wrong - and that's before you even get into the previously noted commentary that it is impossible to determine due to the fact Hoyer has had no experience as a starter in the NFL.

Well being Patriots fans, its really easy to be biased easily towards anything the Jets do. So being as "un-biased" as possible, whats your take on this subject?

We've already covered the "we don't know for sure" stuff, I mentioned that in the original post but just think outside the box a little here. I know this greatly impacts the solidity of the initial argument itself but it's more of a "what if" debate if you will.

Thats all, not hard. ;)

Really can't believe so many people are picking hoyer....i think a lot of people are going to overlook Sanchez because of his subpar performance thus far. We must remember however, that he is still young. Year three is where many qbs make the jump and I expect Mark to do the same. If he does then the jets are definately our biggest threats in the AFC. ( if you think they aren't already) I expect him to be a good leader for that team and excel in the short-intermediate passing game. We shall see though. Just because a qb's FIRST two seasons aren't anything to write home about, does not mean he is going to play like that his entire career.

this poll is absolutely ridiculous. and the fact that its now 34-23 is even more ridiculous. gimme a break

Really can't believe so many people are picking hoyer....i think a lot of people are going to overlook Sanchez because of his subpar performance thus far. We must remember however, that he is still young. Year three is where many qbs make the jump and I expect Mark to do the same. If he does then the jets are definately our biggest threats in the AFC. ( if you think they aren't already) I expect him to be a good leader for that team and excel in the short-intermediate passing game. We shall see though. Just because a qb's FIRST two seasons aren't anything to write home about, does not mean he is going to play like that his entire career.

I really didn't mean for it to come to this, I gave and will always give Sanchez his props. I understand the fact that he's young, only in his third year. But i think if Hoyer was in his third year... starting... he'd be better than Sanchez from the glimpses that we've seen.

Nothing wrong with it. I see early, premature threads all the time here. Its just a examination from a smaller specimen with Hoyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back