PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UnBelieveable PUP list - Jackson PUPed, Claridge OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I would say about the conditioning run is if Jackson and Seymour failed it, why? Are you telling me the highest paid defensive player in the NFL and a 21-year old second round draft pick are failing conditioning runs that Dan Klecko can pass? If that's the case, I'm a little worried about the drive of this team, especially Jackson. How in the hell could that physical specimen fail a conditioning run?

Are they all failures of the conditioning run??? Or something else???
Paxton, Seymour, Sullivan, CJackson, BChildress???? Claridge's releas eis a BIG surprise..and maybe the reason CBrown is back...Drame?? A project..too much of one.

belichickaholic said:
Why are all these players on pup? Are they injured or did they just not pass the conditioning test?

Trying to make a positive assumption - could this possibly be a strategy to get a looksee at guys in camp by putting guys on the PUP who we know will make the team like Jackson and Seymour?

It'd be just like BB to figure out a way to work the rules to his advantage, and no one's really going to question who's on the PUP

The warning signs for Claridge had been out there. The whole not working out in NE thing. I know he's had some personal issues lately, but I began to have doubts about the guy when somebody reported he was staying in his home state for his re-hab.

Jackson's career is off to a rousing start. :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeSixPat said:
Trying to make a positive assumption - could this possibly be a strategy to get a looksee at guys in camp by putting guys on the PUP who we know will make the team like Jackson and Seymour?

It'd be just like BB to figure out a way to work the rules to his advantage, and no one's really going to question who's on the PUP

I don't see the reasoning behind this. I know you only threw it out as a theory but are we supposed to believe that Jackson is so refined as a rookie that he doesn't need reps in camp with Brady? I can't buy that one for a second.

No one falled the sprints yet. That does not happen until the start of training camp. First thing tomorrow morning Belichick will run his conditioning test. I do not believe he can set a report date of Friday and have a test on Thursday it makes no sense because he sets his start date with the NFL and I beleive there are union issues involved with mini camps and training camps that prevent.

Secondly someone going on the PUP list now is no big deal. I do believe Belichick frequently moved players on and off the list last year pretty much at will. At training camp there was veteran players regularly out of drills for a morning practice or an afternoon practice or whatever. This is just being extra cautious which is fine with me. I do not know all the rules involved the number of players in training camp but I would not be surprised if the Pats are taking advantage of the PUP in a way to maximize the number of players they can evaluate.

Really all it means is that the players on the PUP get tomorrow off.

Wait until we have more info before lumping the unexpected names into failed conditioning runs.... It is fairly common to have a late offseason muscle pull (weight lifting, sprints, etc.), which cause that player to spend a day or 2 on the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) list, even prior to taking the run.

Especially in Seymour's case (as opposed to Wilfork for example) - there is no way that he got that far out of shape since the offseason workouts ended.

Actually I'm worried more about Seymour's history of having some minor knee problems - it seems as if most every year he has missed a game or 2 or 3.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

OK that's a good theory, and your right I wouldn't put it past belichick to do something like that, but WTF? Could they have come to camp out of shape? What have they become Club Med?

Well our chances of winning the pre-season championship are ruined. Looks like the Jest win it again.

The Claridge thing is a surprise.

JoeSixPat said:

Seymour maybe... Jackson and Sullivan no way - they need the reps.

This won't be a big deal.

Belichick probably is having a tough time deciding who to get rid of for the preliminary cuts, so this way he can get more of those "borderline" players on the field for the first few days of camp to see what they do and who just doesn't have it. Most of these names should be back practicing soon.

Robdude said:
No one falled the sprints yet. That does not happen until the start of training camp. First thing tomorrow morning Belichick will run his conditioning test. I do not believe he can set a report date of Friday and have a test on Thursday it makes no sense because he sets his start date with the NFL and I beleive there are union issues involved with mini camps and training camps that prevent.

Secondly someone going on the PUP list now is no big deal. I do believe Belichick frequently moved players on and off the list last year pretty much at will. At training camp there was veteran players regularly out of drills for a morning practice or an afternoon practice or whatever. This is just being extra cautious which is fine with me. I do not know all the rules involved the number of players in training camp but I would not be surprised if the Pats are taking advantage of the PUP in a way to maximize the number of players they can evaluate.

This is incorrect. The conditioning run was today. I heard it on the radio and Fred Kirsch, who is in charge of Patriots.com, confirmed that it was Thursday on this week's PFW in Progress. The conditioning run was definately today.

Read My Cj Thread

why do we put too much weight into a patriots "injury report". that too before training camp. this is BB doing something to piss of the league or exploiting the injury report loopholes and using it some advantage of his.

Robdude said:

Thanks for setting things straight, although I think there may be more into the surprising PUP list than just BB putting guys on there for the sake of it. Seymour and Jackson must have picked up minor knocks during minicamp or the offseason. If it was anything serious with one of those players, then the media would've already been on it by now. I tend to believe the theory that BB has found a new way to keep details of their injuries undisclosed by putting them on the PUP.

As for Claridge, I think we over analyzed here, and made him into a creation he wasn't. He was only a 5th rounder from an unheralded football program in UNLV. Before that draft, there was almost no mention of him, with fellow UNLV Rebel LB, Adam Seward, getting a fair amount of pre-draft buzz. He got injured almost immediately into camp, but into the season when LB was one of our weaknesses, we almost looked at Claridge as a saviour for next (now this) season, when clearly he was not up to the task.

Seymour93 said:
Thanks for setting things straight, although I think there may be more into the surprising PUP list than just BB putting guys on there for the sake of it. Seymour and Jackson must have picked up minor knocks during minicamp or the offseason. If it was anything serious with one of those players, then the media would've already been on it by now. I tend to believe the theory that BB has found a new way to keep details of their injuries undisclosed by putting them on the PUP.

As for Claridge, I think we over analyzed here, and made him into a creation he wasn't. He was only a 5th rounder from an unheralded football program in UNLV. Before that draft, there was almost no mention of him, with fellow UNLV Rebel LB, Adam Seward, getting a fair amount of pre-draft buzz. He got injured almost immediately into camp, but into the season when LB was one of our weaknesses, we almost looked at Claridge as a saviour for next (now this) season, when clearly he was not up to the task.

I think Claridge was over-analyzed because fans are looking for somebody, anybody to be a legit young LB with upside. The next guy will be Freddie Roach but I'm not buying it. Roach was a key contributor on one of the best defenses in college football. Guys like that don't fall through the cracks and not get drafted very often. I am not as high on Roach as most people. I think we fall in love with players who we've heard of and watched play. I just think the whole world knew about Roach and for him to not get drafted, there's probably a good reason that we don't know about. Granted, mistakes are made (Brady) but I'm not very high on Roach at all. That's just my take on it.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
I think Claridge was over-analyzed because fans are looking for somebody, anybody to be a legit young LB with upside. The next guy will be Freddie Roach but I'm not buying it. Roach was a key contributor on one of the best defenses in college football. Guys like that don't fall through the cracks and not get drafted very often. I am not as high on Roach as most people. I think we fall in love with players who we've heard of and watched play. I just think the whole world knew about Roach and for him to not get drafted, there's probably a good reason that we don't know about. Granted, mistakes are made (Brady) but I'm not very high on Roach at all. That's just my take on it.

It would be wise NOT to praise Claridge, Roach, Woods, Mincey, Andrews, or any other rookie until we see them on gameday.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
I just think the whole world knew about Roach and for him to not get drafted, there's probably a good reason that we don't know about.

Maybe his single digit Wonderlic score (4 or 5, if I remember correctly) had something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back