Welcome to PatsFans.com

UN staff killed by Afghan mob enraged over Florida Quran burning

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Apr 1, 2011.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Emotional Gut Reaction.... I hope someone does the world a favor and puts this POS out of his missery.

UN staff killed by Afghan mob enraged over Florida Quran burning - CSMonitor.com

An Afghan mob apparently angry over a Quran burning in Florida set upon a United Nations compound Friday, killing as many as 20 employees and setting fire to several compound buildings.

The attack, which may be the deadliest assault on the UN in Afghanistan, grew out of a protest in response to news that US pastor Terry Jones oversaw a Quran burning on March 20. Mr. Jones drew worldwide criticism last year for threatening to burn Qurans on the anniversary of 9/11.

The UN is still assessing the scope of damage and determining the exact death toll at its offices in Mazir-e-Sharif, a typically quiet city in northern Afghanistan
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Why the flunk didn't Allah step in and stop the holy quran from being burned?

Why didn't God stop these killings because of the Quran burnings that Allah didn't stop?

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting, its because god hates the gays....

Allah also hates them..
  3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Terry Jones is an Air Bandit, the world would be a better place without people like him. And that goes for the other side also, people that would kill over a book. I guess i cut them a little slack becuase Jones was told last year what would prolly happen but he did it anyways.

This Ignorant person (Jones) was warned what the other Ignorant people would do, but this Ignorant attention whore did it anyways.
    Furthemore i Do think he did it for the attention were as they (the Muslims) really take this as an offense, their anger is genuine.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

yeah....

both sides in this are about as childish/dumb as it gets.

Both sides, Great Job! You guys really showed 'em!
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Now this Hate Mongering Attention Whore is calling for revenge. And the beat goes on yeah the beat goes on. Laudy laudy D laudy laudy DIE

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/us/politics/02burn.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Pastor Who Burned Koran Demands Retribution

Sitting in judgment was a jury of 12 members of Mr. Jones’s church, the Dove World Outreach Center. After listening to evidence and arguments from both sides, the jury pronounced the Koran guilty of five “crimes against humanity,” including the promotion of terrorist acts and “the death, rape and torture of people worldwide whose only crime is not being of the Islamic faith.”

Mr. Jones said in an interview with Agence France-Presse that he was “devastated” by the killings of 12 people, including seven United Nations workers, in a violent protest in Afghanistan on Friday when an angry mob, enraged by the burning of a Koran by Mr. Jones’s church, attacked the United Nations compound in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif. “We don’t feel responsible for that,” he told the news service.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Calm down a bit and rethink these comments will you?
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +195 / 2 / -2

He's an as*hole, but he doesn't compare to the mob. I don't know why you'd cut them slack for warning what would happen.

As for being offended, too bad. Too many people treat religion as something that is a legitimate excuse for bad behavior. Sorry, it's not -- and it doesn't matter which religion or god you choose to believe in.
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Last august/september jones who wa going to burn 400 copies of the quoran wa told by the feds that doing such a thing would put the lives of US Service men in danger, in the end at the time they convinced him not to do it. Back when this all started it became obvious that it was a stunt by jones, he was getting all kinds of pub and he liked it. On the other hand the outrage shown by muslims is genuine, its an attack on their religion, their not doing it to for their agrandizment. Thats all i'm saying, i'm sick of these people on both sides. Innocent people are stuck in the middle and end up dying. I'm not condoning the mob for what it did, and yeah they are crazier, they would kill someone over a cartoon. But i guess its much easier for me to focus on Jones a single person, a face,and a name.
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

"Cutting them some slack was a Very Poor choice of words. A more accurate way to describe how i feel is in this instance Jones instigated it.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

The guy who burned the Koran to agitate other people is a jerk. The mob who murdered people because of perceived offense are savages. I can't imagine any Christian sect who would behave this was if a Bible were defaced. When for example the 'piss christ' photo was exhibited as art, there were no riots only a move to see that offensive 'art' wasn't funded using taxpayer money.

The Mulsims are trying to get the UN to pass hate speech legislation that would remove freedom of speech for any speech Muslims consider offensive.

Murder is >>>> worse than being a jerk.
  11. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Hmm...people or an inanimate object. Which is more valuable?

Can you imagine the temerity of people who claim that there is a violent strain in Islam? Say that again and we'll kill you!
  12. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I don't buy the argument that Jones is responsible for what happened in Afghanistan. He's an assdouche in the strictest sense of the word, but I subscribe to the notion of personal responsibility, and those people in Afghanistan who did this bear the responsibility for their actions. They're people, just like any one of us, capable of making the decision to kill or not to kill. There is no justification for what they did.

Can they protest? Yes. Should they get a free pass for killing people because their sensibilities were offended? No.

I don't care if they even threatened to kill people in the event that a Qur'an was burned. That threat is not justified, and it is not Jones' responsibility. Abortion doctors are threatened all the time. They continue to do their work. Are the threats justified? In the event that they are killed, did they just have it coming?

It's a silly line of logic.

I'm no Christian, and I don't like to see any book burned (even Mein Kampf should be kept for the cautionary tale it provides), but let's not confuse things here.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

All religions are incredibly foolish wastes of thought.
    Some religions are just more stupid than others.
    It's just splitting hairs, though.

When a mob of religion A kills twelve people of religion B, it is no more "savage" than a techno-army of religion B killing civilians by the hundreds of religion A from thousands of feet up in the sky.

Why and how it is done is of no solace to the dead and their loved ones.
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Remember "Jesus Floating In A Jar Of P!ss" loons considered that art.

Imagine what the Muslim Religion will do to the batty liberals after the liberals allow them to "Rule The World"

Jones is a moron but he has the same rights as the as the art museum that displayed "Jesus In P!ss" that
    p!ssed a lot of christians off but they didn't behead anybody.

Keep kissing their ass they get stronger every day.

:bricks:
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

Terry Jones is bat shyt crazy and is just another attention getting whore. Why do something that will cause a negative effect on others, in this case murder was the result. The people who killed the UN workers are responsible for their behavior, however why would Jones arbitrarity stir this pot??

Concern is raised for the troops who are trying to bring a message to the folks in Afghanistan that the Taliban is bad and there is a better way. What will be the effects on our military??... it does not matter Terry Jones is on the front page of just about every newspaper. More face time that is the bottom line.

This Attack is Different | UN Dispatch

16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

To me, it's almost unfathomable to believe there are large groups of civilians in the world who would KILL....MURDER people over

1. Comments about their religion/God
    2. Burning a book
    3. Criticizing a religion

But the sad fact is, there may be more people like this than we possibly know. It's like some parts of the world are living in the middle ages.
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

???

And which religion is it that kills civilians from thousands of feet up in the sky Wistah? I know I should know the answer, but I must have a brain fart because for the life of me, I've never heard of any bombs being dropped in the name of any particular RELIGION that ended up killing civilians.

Appreciate you help!
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That's a pretty strange belief considering people kill and murder people over things like wearing their hat the wrong way, cutting them off in traffic, playing their music too loud, buying the wrong brand of detergent or not cooking the Thanksgiving turkey the right way.

Why would religion be any different?
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

So now you want to compare INDIVIDUAL craziness to Muslim extremists?

Can you give me examples of "recent Consistent acts of murder committed by groups representing a common cause" rather than your weak comparison above?

In the case of Muslim extremists, there is a commonality among & across national borders that unites a very large number of people. We've seen & read many worldwide death threats to people who criticize or mock Islam.

But you just over looked those facts with a simple, "Well, we have people killing over turkeys".... Which is not even relevant to my statement.

The bare facts are that groups of Muslim extremists target non-Muslim foreigners for murder. What example of similar behavior can you give me in our country.

Why would ANYONE'S first reaction to Muslim extremist murder be to defend them? To me, they deserve no defense and no mercy.

We have a few on this very board who consistently mock and criticize religion in general. I have no issues with that. EVERYONE should have the freedom to say anything they desire about any religion without fear of consequences. Don't you agree?

Finally, despite the fact that Jones is a first-class idiot, no matter what perspective one views the murder of the UN staff, Jones can't be blamed.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Yes PR some on this board consistently mock and criticize religion, mostly THE CHRISTIAN Religion, very few will have anything negative to say about the "Savage Islamic Religion" that is a no no in the world of the liberal, for some strange reason the liberals have fallen in love with Muslims.
    (probably because muslims hate america)