Welcome to PatsFans.com

UN panel: New taxes needed for a climate fund

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +533 / 6 / -2

As always, just follow the $money$.

UN panel: New taxes needed for a climate fund

By ARTHUR MAX, Associated Press Writer Arthur Max, Associated Press Writer – Thu Aug 5, 12:22 pm ET

BONN, Germany – Carbon taxes, add-ons to international air fares and a levy on cross-border money movements are among ways being considered by a panel of the world's leading economists to raise a staggering $100 billion a year to fight climate change.

British economist Nicholas Stern told international climate negotiators Thursday that government regulation and public money also will be needed to create incentives for private investment in industries that emit fewer greenhouse gases.

A climate summit held in Copenhagen in December was determined to mobilize $100 billion a year by 2020 to help poor countries adapt to climate change and reduce emissions of carbon dioxide trapping the sun's heat. But the 120 world leaders who met in the Danish capital offered no ideas on how to raise that sum — $1 trillion every decade — prompting Ban to appoint his high-level advisory group.

UN panel: New taxes needed for a climate fund - Yahoo! News

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

maybe we should just pollute less

3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Agreed. I'm all for common sense conservation. I recycle, don't litter, try not to use my car unless necessary, and generally just consume less and be more aware of the environment. Living in NH, I appreciate nature, and I love going outdoors. We should definitely be much more considerate to the environment. This shouldn't be an issue of taxing us more.

Then again, considering who said this, it shouldn't be surprising.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

It is Jupiter's fault we are catching their climate change mayber we should tax Jupiter for warming up.