PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Un-Capped year FA rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
What are our rules to signing FAs this offseason? Do we have to let one go before signing?

What are our rules to signing FAs this offseason? Do we have to let one go before signing?

The Patriots are under no special restrictions whatsoever.

The JEST, along with all the other teams still in the playoffs, are now limited to (1) one big-ticket FA (>$5M/yr) and small-ticket FAs under ~$3.5M/yr., and (2) one FA for each one they lose (provided the new FA's first-year salary is smaller).

The four winners next week lose ability (1).

Correct. Only the final 8 teams (based on playoff success) are under any restrictions whatsoever, so we are free to sign anyone who is on the market.

Will be interesting.

Recent FA signings for Patriots have been awful.
Not sure they will want to spend big dollars especially when there is a chance of no football in 2011

Does anyone know the drop dead date on this ? It would be nice to know at some point that, say, Mankins won't suddenly be a UFA if they reach an agreement.

Does anyone know the drop dead date on this ? It would be nice to know at some point that, say, Mankins won't suddenly be a UFA if they reach an agreement.

The bad news is that the drop date is the start of the 2010 league year (which I think is 3/5).

The good news is that the price of getting a CBA done by that point would probably include the expected FA rules for 2010 remaining in place (to avoid the potential utter chaos of 200+ players going from RFA to UFA status in a matter of days); in other words, Mankins and Gostkowski should be RFAs even if a new CBA is signed.

Last edited:
Correct. Only the final 8 teams (based on playoff success) are under any restrictions whatsoever, so we are free to sign anyone who is on the market.

Good point Mayo.
Cousins, This team is not a Draft built team in most cases. Some of our best players were trades or FA (Harrison, Vrabel, Moss, Welker, Seau, Dillon, Bryan Cox, Phifer, Andruzzi and who can forget the play we got from an aging Otis Smith,Antwan Smith, David Patten even to some extent Gaffney and Izzo and I never thought I would say that). What are all these FA's remembered for? Being some of the best Pats ever and bringing the meaning to being a Patriot....But they were all cast offs and trades. Cheap FA's is what got us in trouble (other than AD). I don't know about any of you but I am sick of every year dropping down spots in the Draft or stock piling for the next year so we can drop down again. Yes, I am questioning the front office personnel in charge of acquiring talent. We had the worst talent on this team this year in the last ten. One of the best Patriots teams ever in 2007 was built mostly through trades and FA. Yes there was Brady, Mankins, Mayo, Bruschi, Wilfork, Law, Samuels even perhaps Seymour but our most talented draft picks are bottom of the barrel like Edelman and Prior this year (see Brady).

My point is this. Screw the crappy Draft pick dance. Get your talented FA as you solid base next season and for Gods sake, lets not drop down for the Ohrnbergers and Tates of the Draft and pass on the Matthews, Nicks, Eric Woods etc. go by.
Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, Randy Moss are not getting younger. The way the Pats Draft is for three years down the road other than Mayo (Edelman by circumstance).

The Pats lost their heart when Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel left. They were leaders. Tell me who was the team leader? Seau came in and didn't play much but he may have been the closest.

We have to make huge changes in picking the "groceries" and NOT Flloyd Reese. He'd Draft Bronco Nagurski because he thought he was coming out.

BB was forced into trading for Burgess (I rate a "C") because he had no where else to go. He went for Galloway because he thought he would be an upgrade on Gaffney and better than spending a few extra dollars on T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Cousins, could we have used him? Could we have used ....Heaven forbid, Marvin Harrison in a few games?).

There are players they can go for in 2010 that would bring heart back to this dead team:
1-Although I cannot stand him as a Titan, Keith Bullock at 32 he still has some years and is a team leader.1A would be Barrett Ruud if he is not resigned.1B would be Kirk Morrison

2-Aaron Kampman with a pass rush and can play both outside LB and DE (THINK Vrabel),

3-Peppers (yes the big money FA but when he turns it on he is one of the top five DE's in the NFL). Bite the bullet.

4-Shawn Merriman-Yep that guy. He plays with passion and is still young enough to mature in our system. We hate him now but if he switched unis not so much.

5-Chase Blackburn (I hated him as a Giant but he has started some at ILB and he can bring it when he plays. He is only 27. He is better than Woods, Alexander, Crabel and maybe Guyton.... and Seau and AD are gone) He plays with passion,

6-Anquan Bolden (is there a more passionate WR in the NFL who will run you over to make a play? Who plays hurt) 6A would be Malcomb Flloyd. The big guy would be a compliment to Welker and Edelman opposite Moss.

7-Will Smith (probably resigned but we can dream An upgrade on Green and maybe even Warren the way he has played lately)

8-Terrance Newman (An experienced CB because Butler is just not ready and Newman plays a hitting style CB that BB likes)

9-Another safety so they can dump Sanders once and for all. Antoine Bethea (I hate him but he seems to make plays). McGowan is OK but not a DB QB, Sanders teases you but as you all saw yesterday ...sucked lemons. Merriweather has no constancy yet. He is not DB QB material)

10-Owen Daniels(BB was high on him at one time. A real TE who can actually catch)

11-LenDale White-Yep I said it. (This guy can be a work horse if he is used properly. He's only 26 years old. I have seen him run over people. Sammy is good and serviceable. Taylor is too injury prone, BB has no faith in the Law Firm and see ya later Maroney.....Please!!!!!!!!!!!)

Draft thoughts? :
Terrance Cody DT Alabama-Now try that Ravens

Taylor Mays SS USC -Probably gone but with Chung and Merriweather a great back line who can bring it.

Eric Decker-MN. Perfect BB WR who can catch and run patterns at 6'3". He will be there in round 2 (had an injury)

Toby Gerhart RB Stanford. A do anything back who will catch, block and move piles. Heart. Should be there in round 2

Jon Asamoah G Illinois. "No More Mister Nice Guy!"
Illini senior guard is calling out teammates who don't play hard

How about Tebow? He can do many things. He has heart.
DW Toys

Some players, like Mankins and Wilfork and any of the other free agents, had a lot to play for yesterday. If they had won, the Patriots would have been restricted from going whole hog into the FA market. That would mean they couldn't bring in FAs immediately unless one of their own left, and it could also mean that the Patriots couldn't use budget arguments in negotiations with players. In other words, Wilfork and Mankins would have more wiggle room if only they had won.

I'm not saying that they would have played harder, though it's been noted players do play harder in a contract year, but you have to wonder about player's knowledge of the league's contract situation and its impact on play (clearly, Brady was very aware of the CBA negotiations).

I'll make it really simple for you. I hope that you will get it.

We are division winners.

We would not have come close without the play of 2009 free agents Banta-Cain, Bodden and McGowan.

Will be interesting.

Recent FA signings for Patriots have been awful.
Not sure they will want to spend big dollars especially when there is a chance of no football in 2011

I'll make it really simple for you. I hope that you will get it.

We are division winners.

We would not have come close without the play of 2009 free agents Banta-Cain, Bodden and McGowan.
Very much agree. Good post.
DW Toys

Some players, like Mankins and Wilfork and any of the other free agents, had a lot to play for yesterday. If they had won, the Patriots would have been restricted from going whole hog into the FA market. That would mean they couldn't bring in FAs immediately unless one of their own left, and it could also mean that the Patriots couldn't use budget arguments in negotiations with players. In other words, Wilfork and Mankins would have more wiggle room if only they had won.

I'm not saying that they would have played harder, though it's been noted players do play harder in a contract year, but you have to wonder about player's knowledge of the league's contract situation and its impact on play (clearly, Brady was very aware of the CBA negotiations).

If no cap. Mankins will a RFA not a UFA and really have no leverage. With the Pats being able to match any offer it benefits him more with a capped year.

Good point Mayo.
Cousins, This team is not a Draft built team in most cases. Some of our best players were trades or FA (Harrison, Vrabel, Moss, Welker, Seau, Dillon, Bryan Cox, Phifer, Andruzzi and who can forget the play we got from an aging Otis Smith,Antwan Smith, David Patten even to some extent Gaffney and Izzo and I never thought I would say that). What are all these FA's remembered for? Being some of the best Pats ever and bringing the meaning to being a Patriot....But they were all cast offs and trades. Cheap FA's is what got us in trouble (other than AD). I don't know about any of you but I am sick of every year dropping down spots in the Draft or stock piling for the next year so we can drop down again. Yes, I am questioning the front office personnel in charge of acquiring talent. We had the worst talent on this team this year in the last ten. One of the best Patriots teams ever in 2007 was built mostly through trades and FA. Yes there was Brady, Mankins, Mayo, Bruschi, Wilfork, Law, Samuels even perhaps Seymour but our most talented draft picks are bottom of the barrel like Edelman and Prior this year (see Brady).

My point is this. Screw the crappy Draft pick dance. Get your talented FA as you solid base next season and for Gods sake, lets not drop down for the Ohrnbergers and Tates of the Draft and pass on the Matthews, Nicks, Eric Woods etc. go by.
Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, Randy Moss are not getting younger. The way the Pats Draft is for three years down the road other than Mayo (Edelman by circumstance).

The Pats lost their heart when Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel left. They were leaders. Tell me who was the team leader? Seau came in and didn't play much but he may have been the closest.

We have to make huge changes in picking the "groceries" and NOT Flloyd Reese. He'd Draft Bronco Nagurski because he thought he was coming out.

BB was forced into trading for Burgess (I rate a "C") because he had no where else to go. He went for Galloway because he thought he would be an upgrade on Gaffney and better than spending a few extra dollars on T.J. Houshmandzadeh (Cousins, could we have used him? Could we have used ....Heaven forbid, Marvin Harrison in a few games?).

There are players they can go for in 2010 that would bring heart back to this dead team:
1-Although I cannot stand him as a Titan, Keith Bullock at 32 he still has some years and is a team leader.1A would be Barrett Ruud if he is not resigned.1B would be Kirk Morrison

2-Aaron Kampman with a pass rush and can play both outside LB and DE (THINK Vrabel),

3-Peppers (yes the big money FA but when he turns it on he is one of the top five DE's in the NFL). Bite the bullet.

4-Shawn Merriman-Yep that guy. He plays with passion and is still young enough to mature in our system. We hate him now but if he switched unis not so much.

5-Chase Blackburn (I hated him as a Giant but he has started some at ILB and he can bring it when he plays. He is only 27. He is better than Woods, Alexander, Crabel and maybe Guyton.... and Seau and AD are gone) He plays with passion,

6-Anquan Bolden (is there a more passionate WR in the NFL who will run you over to make a play? Who plays hurt) 6A would be Malcomb Flloyd. The big guy would be a compliment to Welker and Edelman opposite Moss.

7-Will Smith (probably resigned but we can dream An upgrade on Green and maybe even Warren the way he has played lately)

8-Terrance Newman (An experienced CB because Butler is just not ready and Newman plays a hitting style CB that BB likes)

9-Another safety so they can dump Sanders once and for all. Antoine Bethea (I hate him but he seems to make plays). McGowan is OK but not a DB QB, Sanders teases you but as you all saw yesterday ...sucked lemons. Merriweather has no constancy yet. He is not DB QB material)

10-Owen Daniels(BB was high on him at one time. A real TE who can actually catch)

11-LenDale White-Yep I said it. (This guy can be a work horse if he is used properly. He's only 26 years old. I have seen him run over people. Sammy is good and serviceable. Taylor is too injury prone, BB has no faith in the Law Firm and see ya later Maroney.....Please!!!!!!!!!!!)

Draft thoughts? :
Terrance Cody DT Alabama-Now try that Ravens

Taylor Mays SS USC -Probably gone but with Chung and Merriweather a great back line who can bring it.

Eric Decker-MN. Perfect BB WR who can catch and run patterns at 6'3". He will be there in round 2 (had an injury)

Toby Gerhart RB Stanford. A do anything back who will catch, block and move piles. Heart. Should be there in round 2

Jon Asamoah G Illinois. "No More Mister Nice Guy!"
Illini senior guard is calling out teammates who don't play hard

How about Tebow? He can do many things. He has heart.
DW Toys

I think I'll disagree on most points. Yes many of our stellar performers were by trade. No I don't want to discontinue the draft dance. I'll stick with Bill. I didn't care for many of your free agents with perhaps the exception of Bulluck and Lendale White. I'm not certain we need more safeties.

I do like Gerhart and Cody, no on Tebow, don't know the other two.

In addition to the two above I liked Brandon Carter G from Texas Tech and Brandon Sharpe OLB from Texas Tech

It's not time to panic. Stuff happens.

I think I'll disagree on most points. Yes many of our stellar performers were by trade. No I don't want to discontinue the draft dance. I'll stick with Bill. I didn't care for many of your free agents with perhaps the exception of Bulluck and Lendale White. I'm not certain we need more safeties.

I do like Gerhart and Cody, no on Tebow, don't know the other two.

In addition to the two above I liked Brandon Carter G from Texas Tech and Brandon Sharpe OLB from Texas Tech

It's not time to panic. Stuff happens.

Don't know those two but if they have heart...Fine.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye