PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Umenyiora: "We know we can beat that football team"

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAWN...

I want the gints to say something really stupid.

Come on Elley... come on.

Spew it out.

I don't want to do too much psychoanalyzing here, but my problem with these sorts of quotes is not necessarily that they give the opponent "bulletin board" material, but also that anyone who feels the need to say something like this to the press is more likely to be not confident than confident.

A player who genuinely believes that his team is going to win or has a good chance to win feels no compulsion to try to convince people who believe otherwise. That's exactly what you're trying to do when you say this to the media: "I'm confident we can beat this team." I think someone who does this is really trying to convince himself.

What's funny is, you're rarely if ever, hear a Pats player say anything like this.
They talk about execution, respecting the other team, playing their game, tough matchup, they're (opponent) good at x, x, x, x, it's going to be tough.

They know how to talk to the media in order to limit the potential fodder it can create. It seems other teams don't know or don't care.

I guess LdT was right.... 'it must come from their head coach'.

Actually when asked you do. On the rare occasions someone asks Brady or Belichick if they are capable of winning, they say "yes, we can win". It is just very rare anybody ask them that question.

This wasn't an A. Smith guarantee.

Vince Wilfork was talking about how it ticks the team off when other teams 'talk in the papers' in the lead-up to the game. He said that this week after the San Diego game.

While Osi's comments do appear more or less innocuous, I'd still be willing to bet that the guys in that locker room have heard the quotes, and taken them to heart. Like many have said, you don't hear the Patriots TALKING about beating the Giants.

This should be a fun Superbowl to watch.

I don't want to do too much psychoanalyzing here, but my problem with these sorts of quotes is not necessarily that they give the opponent "bulletin board" material, but also that anyone who feels the need to say something like this to the press is more likely to be not confident than confident.

A player who genuinely believes that his team is going to win or has a good chance to win feels no compulsion to try to convince people who believe otherwise. That's exactly what you're trying to do when you say this to the media: "I'm confident we can beat this team." I think someone who does this is really trying to convince himself.
The Giants are a very immature team.You'll definitely find this out in the next couple of days.I'm praying that a Giant player says something stupid.

The Giants are a very immature team.You'll definitely find this out in the next couple of days.I'm praying that a Giant player says something stupid.

If we were running a poll, I would vote Jacobs.

It's one thing to believe it, another to tell it the NY Post.

And we all know that anything printed in the Post must be taken with a grain or two of salt. ;)

Did you see that dance/chant they were doing after the GB game? "We're going to the show, we're going to the show..."

I know they were excited and all, but man that looked stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes