PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Umenyiora, Tuck, and Strahan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anybody worried about these guys? I've seen every game the Giants have played this year (they're always on the NFC affiliate where I live), and Osi, especially, is a pain in the a##. Think Dwight Freeney but with a longer stride and better against the run. Strahan somehow still has nine sacks this year on the other end and Justin Tuck is a guy I've watched since college who they've put about 25 pounds on and have playing real fast.

Of course the only reason I bring this up is because of the recently nicked up right side of the Oline. I wonder if the Giants could end up getting decent pressure with just the front four...though their DC Spagnolou is from the Eagles tree so he can get blitz-happy, too.

One thing you can count on, at least 75% of the time it'll be Strahan doing his bull rush knock-your-hands-away thing on Brady's right, and Umenyiora speed rushing to try and turn the corner from the left. Neither of those guys does the opposite very well.

Don't forget about the Pats tight end problem... that didn't sound right, but seriously.

That is precisely why we will see a complete spread offense with multiple screens, draws and play actions.
I expect and hope to see once Randy and Tom set the record if they do to see them pulled and see some Guitterez to Jackson action.

True, which will mean a lot of 4 wides. At think at first the Giants will see if they can get pressure w/the front four and try to play coverage. And they have been a bad coverage team for 4 or 5 years. But that Dline I think could cause problems. O'Callahagn (if it is him) better bring his lunchpail against Strahan

True, which will mean a lot of 4 wides. At think at first the Giants will see if they can get pressure w/the front four and try to play coverage. And they have been a bad coverage team for 4 or 5 years. But that Dline I think could cause problems. O'Callahagn (if it is him) better bring his lunchpail against Strahan
Strahan is like Pavlov's dog. The ball is snapped and (DING) he goes for the QB. Gives him a LOT of sacks and great stats, but throw screens or pitchouts at the area he vacates and pile up the yards.

Last edited:
Strahan is like Pavlov's dog. The ball is snapped and he goes for the QB. Gives him a LOT of sacks and great stats, but throw screens or pitchouts at the area he vacates and pile up the yards.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Strahan plays the run as well as any DE who has ever played the game. As great a pass rusher as he is, he has been a better run stopper in his career. This is not Dwight Freeney, or Simeon Rice, just pinning their ears back and going for the QB all the time. He plays on the strong side, with that comes all the extra run stopping responsibilities. And theres never been a DE who has ever played the run any better then him. By playing on the strong side if anything he's only sacraficed personal statistics.

Last edited:
Nothing could be further from the truth. Strahan plays the run as well as any DE who has ever played the game. As great a pass rusher as he is, he has been a better run stopper in his career. This is not Dwight Freeney, or Simeon Rice, just pinning their ears back and going for the QB all the time. He plays on the strong side, with that comes all the extra run stopping responsibilities. And theres never been a DE who has ever played the run any better then him. By playing on the strong side if anything he's only sacraficed personal statistics.

Very true. I don't know if he is the best pf all time against the run, but he is still very good at holding the point of attack, and he was even better in his prime. Still one of the top 5 two-way linemen in the league (amazingly, at 260 lbs and age 36). Osi is the more pin your ears back-type, but he has improved against the run as well.

Last edited:
Very true. I don't know if he is the best pf all time against the run, but he is still very good at holding the point of attack, and he was even better in his prime. Still one of the top 5 two-way linemen in the league (amazingly, at 260 lbs and age 36). Osi is the more pin your ears back-type, but he has improved against the run as well.

Yea hes dropped a lot of weight to help him prolong his career. He played at about 280 in his prime, not that he was fat then, but the loss of some fat has helped him offset a loss in quickness due to age. Hes a lot more cut now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes