Welcome to PatsFans.com

Um...Wow

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 22, 2009.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh my freaking GOD!

Africa just can't get off its back, it seems. How long will we have to watch them destroy themselves? I'm getting a little tired of hearing the "residual effect of colonialism" defense, even though I understand it. Sooner or later, something will have to be done there. It's like another planet there.

In the 70's, my dad used to travel to Liberia for work, and he would come home so excited about the beauty and peace there. Luckily, we never moved there, but I think we were close at one point.

Look at Liberia, now. Look at Rhodesia/ Zimbabwe. Now South Africa? Congo, Sudan, Ethiopia, Mozambique, ...what a mess.

The poor kids....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  4. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

People of German descent are responsible for about 50,000,000 murders in the last century. But the Allies defeated them, rebuilt their country, and now they are far less violent. It took 50 years to fix the Germanic people and cost millions of lives and billions of dollars. In South Africa, Apartheid obviously failed to institute any kind of solid moral fabric. Now, that South Africans are free, the truth about the country can rise to the surface where it can be dealt with. The new South Africa is only about 20 years old and has a lot of work to do to erase the damage of Apartheid and install a sound moral foundation. But, let's remember that if the world can cure people of Germanic descent of their violent bigoted ways, it can do the same for South Africa if it's willing to try.

6. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Oh, that's right, Patters...must stay on cue.

White guilt, white guilt, white guilt.

You bring up a separate, perfectly pointless issue, which I have many times before when talking about the carnage last century.

But now we're talking about THIS century.

Must stay on cue...white guilt, white guilt, white guilt.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I'm simply drawing an analogy that I thought you could relate to since you look at things through a racial lens. So, I was hoping to give you hope by pointing out how the world seems to have largely cured people of German descent from their violent hateful ways that killed tens of millions. Therefore, I think it's possible for the world to address the problems in South Africa, and I also think the South Africans might be able to do it alone, though it will take awhile.

That's not white guilt. That's simply using your logic to make an analogy. But, perhaps you only like to stereotype certain races.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  8. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

More like a diversion.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

No, you're trying to avoid the problems your race-based world view gets you in. You're fine in making generalizations about blacks, but the moment someone makes them about whites, you start rambling about white guilt. I'm glad to expose your hypocrisy.

10. State

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Whatever my motivation may be--and certainly you aren't privy to it--it's a remarkable and horrifying bit of news.

But the miasma of evil coming out of South Africa is truly stupendous in size and scope. As it is in Zimbabwe. Of course, it certainly doesn't fit the PC "diversity is good//white men are bad" mantra and, apparently, you would rather create a new thread on SC's governor's disappearance. Pathetic.

The left hasn't had this much fun since Cheney fired a shotgun into his hunting accomplice's face.

Meanwhile, Africa is burning, starving, and dying and the left doesn't care: it's blacks doing it to blacks. It was much better when there was apartheid to build shanties on the Dartmouth College green as a form of protest. Now that the very place that caused so much concern has become a Clockwork Orange rape and criminal warzone--a popular feature for new cars is the flame thrower shooting out both sides to thwart a carjacking-- you have no response other than to attack the poster. Me.

I hate to sound didactic, but it's the fallacy of ad hominem.

The moral heartlessness in your response, Patters, is disheartening. I know you have a good heart, but you need to re-think your Africa approach.

A little less benign neglect is in order. More tough love. No more bravo sierra about what happened twenty years ago. SA rape has nothing whatsoever to do with apartheid. That ship has sailed.

Think outside the faculty cafeteria.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Again, you're avoiding my point, but it goes without saying that study's finding are horrendous. That said, I think the new South Africa is very young and has many issues to contend with. Dismantling Apartheid and creating a more healthy society is a huge project, but the world has seen similar things done in places like Germany, Japan, and Botswana.

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Germany and Japan had to be levelled to the ground. Are you suggesting we do that in SA? I know you're not. Point is, your analogy is deeply flawed. Botswana? Small laboratory where programs are easily instituted.

People who cling to primative cultural memes have a much more difficult time modernizing after upheaval. Japan and Germany were modern before their "restoration". Tribal Africa is not ready for the modern world. The religious and cultural resistance to birth control and safe sex is a good example, IMO. You can't make the horse drink.

13. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The slow but methodical destruction of the African people has been going on for years and it's a travesty, not just for them but for everyone in the world. It's so rich in resources, it's truly one of the most beautiful places to see in the world. Rwanda, the genocide, the violence and disease seems to have turned that once proud nation into almost a rogue,almost lawless state.

We've been in Africa for years under AfricaCorp and now so is the Taliban,reportedly anyway.

Africa's a Prize and the means of getting it is criminal imo.

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I knew a couple of South Africans years ago. Both always swore that Apartheid wasn't about keeping blacks down, it was about keeping them from killing each other. That all the blacks were 'welcome' in the white areas to a greater or lesser extent, mostly as cheap labor of course, but the one thing that was forbidden and heavily enforced was for a guy from tribe A to go into the territory of tribe B. That's when things always got violent.

Anyhow, I always assumed they were full of it, just seeing things through their own 'tinted' glasses so to speak, now obviously I'm not so sure. Even still its better to let indigenous people sort things out for themselves. Sooner or later they'll stop killing each other and build a decent society. In the mean time at least there's no blood on our hands.

15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Give a man a fish, you feed for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed for his entire life.

Trouble is, nobody wants to learn how to fish any more.

Who's responsible????

//

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Liberal homosexuals working for ACORN?

17. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0