PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UK Pats fan seeking advice on visiting Gillette/Boston please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston is a small city compared to New York and others here, You can walk to alot of the places you want to see.....and if it's too far, the T can get you there for minimal cost.

Since I live only a 50 minute drive from Gillette, I never thought of accomodations, but there's a hotel right next to the stadium in Patriot Place.
I wonder if you could get a reservation there now for the day of the game you're attending. ( maybe even the nite before the game) Would save alot of headaches/time traveling
and there are restaurants, shops and movie theatre there. Just a thought.
No rush after the game to make the train out back to Boston either. :)

I guess it depends on how much time you plan on sightseeing Boston and the area and how much time you've allocated for your trip across the pond.

Looks like I'm going to be in NY weekend of the 12. May head up to Foxborugh.

Anyone got any ideas on how to travel up. Don't want to hire a car. (automatic isn't real driving)
So any travel hints. Will probably pick a ticket up from stubhub. Any hints you can pm me.

Thanks guys.

There are rooms available at the Renaissance Hotel at Patriot Place on the 12th, but they are a little over $300 which is a bit spendy. Still, you can't beat being able to walk (or stumble) to your room.

They have a couple of suggestions for how to get there from Boston or Providence by taxi (about $100 each way). I would recommend just renting a car. You will have to pay $50 for parking on gameday, but I think overall it would be cheaper than train>>taxi>>taxi>>train.

We drive on the right side of the road here.

Eat plenty of citrus fruits.

If someone asks if you like ***s, they're not talking about cigarettes.

It's American football.... don't assault opposing team's fans.

If someone says they're pissed, they're angry, not drunk.

The plastic stick with bristles you see in the bathroom is called a toothbrush. If you're hoping to score with a hot American girl, you'll need to use that and also make them believe that you are wealthy.

If driving, remember that things like proper merging, using blinkers and paying attention while driving don't happen here.

Don't eat at Apple Bees or TGI Fridays.

If when driving on 93 South, you find youself actually driving North on 95 and 128, then you missed your exit.

The MBTA stops running long before last call.... proof that Boston is not a world class city.

If you make your way out to Western Ma, try to hide your accent. Word that the war is over has reached those parts yet.

If you're considering going on the Duckboats, look at the expression on the peoples faces that are riding in them first. It'll save ya a couple of bucks.

If you're tired of working, just stay here and have lotsa kids. The more kids you have, the more money our government will give you to sit on your arse.

There are cows in Foxborro. Nuff said.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes.

Don't give money to the beggars in Boston... they bring home more money/year than the median income in MA.

Last edited:
Coming from closer to Whiteplains than NYC itself. Looks like about 3 hours by car.

You can catch the Amtrak train in Stamford, CT, about 15 miles form White Plains. You can take this train from Stamford to either Providence or Boston depending on where you will be staying.

Have ya noticed how the Brits stole alot of our town names.

Cambridge....Dedham....Gloucester...Worcester....Exeter..Peterborough...Manchester...Chester

just to name a few.....
You missed three of the biggest...Cambridge, Brighten, and Chelsea

Last edited:
Priceline.com is 100% the way to go as far as staying in the middle of Boston. Bid $100-125 and 3 1/2 stars on the Quincy Market / Financial District area and almost every time they will accept the bid at the Boston Marriot Copley Place. It's a nice big hotel in the middle of everything and the typical rate is $300 a night otherwise.

I'm going for the first time myself to Gillette for the season opener, really excited :)

This is a good point. Boston is a walking city very much in the European mold (but smaller), so staying anywhere in the center of the city (Copley Square, Waterfront, Quincy Market) will be fine for you. The key is getting a good price because downtown hotels are way too high.

Eat plenty of citrus fruits.

If someone asks if you like ***s, they're not talking about cigarettes.

It's American football.... don't assault opposing team's fans.

If someone says they're pissed, they're angry, not drunk.

The plastic stick with bristles you see in the bathroom is called a toothbrush. If you're hoping to score with a hot American girl, you'll need to use that and also make them believe that you are wealthy.

If driving, remember that things like proper merging, using blinkers and paying attention while driving don't happen here.

Don't eat at Apple Bees or TGI Fridays.

If when driving on 93 South, you find youself actually driving North on 95 and 128, then you missed your exit.

The MBTA stops running long before last call.... proof that Boston is not a world class city.

If you make your way out to Western Ma, try to hide your accent. Word that the war is over has reached those parts yet.

If you're considering going on the Duckboats, look at the expression on the peoples faces that are riding in them first. It'll save ya a couple of bucks.

If you're tired of working, just stay here and have lotsa kids. The more kids you have, the more money our government will give you to sit on your arse.

There are cows in Foxborro. Nuff said.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes.

Don't give money to the beggars in Boston... they bring home more money/year than the median income in MA.
I hope i get to sit beside someone like you.
thats just the funniest thing I've read. EVER.

Hey, you get a house here.

Er, I'm guessing you haven't driven in London if you think those things happen over here... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is for future reference for anybody visiting Gillette Stadium.

Getting to Gillette Stadium via public transport is nothing short of a nightmare in my experience.

As stated in my original post I'm from the UK and my first visit to Gillette Stadium was for the 2010 week 6 game between the Patriots and Ravens.

To cut a long story short avoid the train if you can.

It takes forever to get there and then you have to rush to go pick up your international ticket and then their are the completely out of control security lines which are a crush of humanity. I just made it to my seat for kick off. It was not relaxing and I didn't get to check out any tailgating.

If you can, hire a car, I know I will hopefully next time.

Getting to Gillette Stadium via public transport is nothing short of a nightmare in my experience.

As stated in my original post I'm from the UK and my first visit to Gillette Stadium was for the 2010 week 6 game between the Patriots and Ravens.

It takes forever to get there and then you have to rush to go pick up your international ticket and then their are the completely out of control security lines which are a crush of humanity. I just made it to my seat for kick off. It was not relaxing and I didn't get to check out any tailgating.

Mike the Brit said:
As for getting to the game, if you don't have a car, the train from South Station is the option. In its favour, the train is convenient and the atmosphere is fun. But it's not perfect. Takes an absolute age to get about ten miles and sometimes doesn't even manage to get there for kick-off! If I were you, I'd explore other options, so you can check out Patriot Place and the tailgating scene, but, if you end up on the train, so be it.

:rolleyes:

Still, you got to see a great game (with overtime thrown in ...)

Just curious, can you rent a car and drive in the USA with a British drivers license?

Just curious, can you rent a car and drive in the USA with a British drivers license?

I know you could about 5 years ago, some friends from London visited us and they rented a van for the two weeks they were here. If you can drive in London, on the wrong side of the road, you can drive anywhere.

You can drive in the States with European driving licences, just came back from Miami a few days ago and we had rented a car to go to Sunrise to watch an NHL game.
Just be careful with the speed-limits and with the fact, that you're allowed to jump a red light if you turn right and it's not explicitly prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes