Welcome to PatsFans.com

Uganda (homosexual)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 5 / -10

Does America give Money to these savage bastards?

They Are Proposing THE DEATH PENALTY For Homosexuals.
    KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) - Proposed legislation would impose the death penalty for some gay Ugandans, and their family and friends could face up to seven years in jail if they fail to report them to authorities. Even landlords could be imprisoned for renting to homosexuals.
    Death penalty for gays? Uganda debates proposal

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Not only do we give them money, Harry, we are the ones who tell them how to spend it. We gave them a ton of money for AIDs education under the guise of PEPFAR. (PEPFAR, by the way, is upheld as one of the most significant accomplishments of Bush’s presidency) - but with strings. Our "deal' with them was that they could only teach abstinance - and they were to quit teaching condom usage or supplying them with condoms.

HIV & AIDS in Uganda

Long history here, Harry. Mostly to do with George Bush, Rick Warren and the Christian Right.

In 2001, Janet Museveni (Uganda's president's wife, a close friend of Rick Warren's and a "born again evangilical) flew to Washington at the height of a heated congressional debate over PEPFAR. She carried in her hand a prepared message to distribute to Republicans. Abstinence was the golden bullet in her country’s fight against AIDS, she assured conservative lawmakers, denying the empirically proven success of her husband’s condom distribution program. Like magic, the Republican-dominated Congress authorized over $200 million for Uganda, but only for the exclusive promotion of abstinence education. Ssempa soon became the “special representative of the First Lady’s Task Force on AIDS in Uganda,” receiving $40,000 from the PEPFAR pot.

Ssempa is the driving force behind the current attempt to death penalize homosexuality - he is also a very close friend of Rick Warren and has been known to be Warren's "man" in Uganda.

Fast forward a few years to 2008 - AIDS,, which had been on a downswing before 2001, is on the rise again, mostly due to a lack of condoms and condom promotions.

Troubled by what he was witnessing in Africa, Rep. Tom Lantos led the new Democratic-controlled Congress to reform PEPFAR during a reauthorization process in February 2008. Lantos insisted that Congress lift the abstinence-only earmark imposed by Republicans in 2002, and begin to fund family planning elements like free condom distribution. His maneuver infuriated Warren, who immediately boarded a plane for Washington to join Christian right leaders including born-again former Watergate felon Chuck Colson for an emergency press conference on the Capitol lawn. In his speech, Warren claimed that Lantos’ bill would spawn an increase in the sex trafficking of young women. The bill died and PEPFAR was reauthorized in its flawed form.

With safe sex advocates on the run, Warren and Ssempa trained their sights on another social evil. In August 2007, Ssempa led hundreds of his followers through the streets of Kampala to demand that the government mete out harsh punishments against gays. “Arrest all homos,” read placards.
    when Uganda’s Anglican bishops threatened to bolt from the Church of England because of its tolerant stance towards homosexuals, Warren parachuted into Kampala to confer international legitimacy on their protest. “The Church of England is wrong and I support the Church of Uganda on the boycott,” Warren proclaimed in March 2008. Declaring homosexuality an unnatural way of life, Warren flatly stated, “We shall not tolerate this aspect [homosexuality in the church] at all.”

Rick Warren's Africa Problem - Page 3 - The Daily Beast

I know you don't like Rachael Madcow but this might be worth checking out if you're really interested in American ties to Uganda policy.

Truth Wins Out - UPDATED VIDEO: Republican Lawmakers Ensure Silence = Death in Uganda

You'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about Uganda and Senators James Inhofe, R-Okla.; Sam Brownback, R-Kan.; Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.; Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., members of The Family, mega-evangelist Rick Warren, and several others.

All of it verifiable in various sources other than MSNBC - unfortunately Rachael did a lot of work pulling it together and I'm at work so I don't have time to hunt down each piece of the pie individually so you'll have to do your own research if you're really interested enough.

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

So your topic is about homosexuality in Uganda (not aids)...right?

This is ludacrous, sad and unacceptable. But why don't other nations "take action" for once? How many times does America have to be the voice of the world? I'm at the point where I'd like to see a more isolationist policy on all fronts...especially the war front.

For Americans, what happens in America is more important than anything that happens outside America. In other words, Americans are priority #1 in the minds of Americans.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Have you ever heard of Martin Niemöller?

He said something along these lines when the Nazi's first came into being:

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It's a small world, PR, and getting smaller every day. It's not hard to jump a plane and cross the ocean - and sometimes ram it into a building.

Isolation only works if no one can reach you, either. We speak for other people so that it remains possible to speak for ourselves, as well.

5. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's all well and good. It's noble and just but we have to get our own house in order before we mess in the affairs of others. That should be one of our first priorities. If we are going broke, that needs to be addressed before we take care for others or we won't be around very long...What's the point if we bankrupt ourselves. What is the greater good. A long range policy to help as many as we can or to break ourselves and be forced to stop doing anything to help.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009