PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UFC 121 Predictions

TBradyOwnsYou

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
We've got a quick week and then a good card finally on Oct 23rd!
This card will be one with 2 prelim fights on Spike TV and it will also be available live in theaters around the US.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Prelim on Spike
Middleweight: Patrick Cote vs Tom Lawlor
Middeweight: Court McGee vs Ryan Jenson

MAIN CARD
Heavyweight: Brenden Shaub vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Light Heavyweight: Tito Ortiz vs Matt Hamill
Welterweight: Deigo Sanchez vs Paulo Thiago
Welterweight: Jake Shields vs Martin Kampmann
Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar(c) vs Cain Velasquez (Championship match)

-------------------------------------------------------------

TBOY Predictions:
Cote vs Lawlor: You have to like the Predator here. I say Cote in a unanimous decision.
McGee vs Jenson: I think Jenson trys too hard and gets caught for it. McGee by 1st round submission.

Shaub vs Gonzaga: I have to take Gonzaga's experience here. I think Shaub gets caught. Gonzaga by 1st round TKO.
Ortiz vs Hamill: Come on. Tito is going to get worked for 3 rounds and then cry that his back hurts. Hamill by unanimous decision.
Sanchez vs Thiago: I like Thiago here. I just don't think Sanchez has been his usual self in his last few fights and I'm not sure he will be in this fight. Thiago by unanimous decision.
Shields vs Kampmann: Shields' UFC debut. I have to imagine this fight has serious contender implications. If Shields wins, I'd imagine he gets next crack at GSP/Koscheck(aka GSP). Where as if Kampmann wins, I think he'd still need one more good win to become the #1 contender. This I think is actually a pretty tough fight to welcome Shields to the UFC. I still have to pick him though. Shields by unanimous decision.
Lesnar vs Valesquez: You have to like the Vanilla Gorilla here, the question is how does it end? I think the Carwin fight proved definitively that Lesnar is not going to get KO'd and I still don't think anyone can out wrestle him. So with Cain's 2 strengths negated, I see him just getting pummle-fcked here (not sure what it is, I just made it up, it will be defined this weekend!). I think Lesnar by 2nd round TKO. (Hard not to say 1st round).

Here are my picks, copied from another forum I post at.

Prelim fights
McGee
Cote

Main card with analysis

Schaub dirtnaps Gonzaga. Gonzaga has not impressed me at all. Schuab isn't great, but is better than Gonzaga.

Hamill over Ortiz by decision. I see this going the distance, but Hamill will control the fight with his wrestling combined with Ortiz being old and washed up.

Thiago over Sanchez via decapitation. Sanchez can only win by turning this into a wrestling match, but if he can't take and hold Thiago down, he is going to bed in the second.

Shields over Kampmann. A lot of people think Shields is another Jon Fitch lay and pray type, but Shields despite his last 2 fights going the distance has 8 stoppages before that. I see Shields using his wrestling to eventually get a submission in the third.

Brock over Cain, dirtnap in the second. I am not buying the hype on Cain. He is good, but I don't think he has the power to KO Brock, he might be able to out wrestle Brock, but with Brock having 20 lbs on him, that might be a lot harder than it sounds, and I think Cain's superior cardio won't come into play, since Brock ends up winning via ground and pound in the third.

Watching the Lesnar fight last night has convinced me that this sport is fixed.

Watching the Lesnar fight last night has convinced me that this sport is fixed.

LOL.
My first thought pre-fight was it was odd that Lesnar was 264 and claimed that he cut "no significant weight". That is not normal and I wonder if it is related to his previous illness or something new?
Then in the pre-fight jabber he was very ****y, never a good thing.
Lastly he came out way too fast, just like Carwin did last fight against him. He gassed out super fast and Cain controlled the fight, but didn't over exert again like Carwin before and was able to completely crush Lesnar. I am kind of glad that Cain won just because it opens up the Heavyweight division big time.

I was impressed that Shields was still able to pull out the win even after how obviously exhausted he was from the weight cut. Kampmann however really needs to work his submission game. He had opportunities but it's like he didn't know how to pull them off. If Shields doesn't cut weight better against GSP he will get finished.

Sanchez looked like his old relentless self. Thiago could not keep the pace at all.

Final thought: Joe Rogan is effing hilarious. The stuff that comes out of that guy's mouth...

Kind of odd how I caught this, something woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. Then, remembered the fight and turned it on just in time to see Lesnars entrance. Proceeded to watch Lesnar fall apart then got off to sleep again. :cool:

Lesnar seemed a little odd to me and to then see him completely come apart at the seams seemed to confirm this. Lesnar says he felt good and had a good camp though so maybe he just blew his load too early. That big ass cut hurt him alot too....

LOL.
My first thought pre-fight was it was odd that Lesnar was 264 and claimed that he cut "no significant weight". That is not normal and I wonder if it is related to his previous illness or something new?
Then in the pre-fight jabber he was very ****y, never a good thing.
Lastly he came out way too fast, just like Carwin did last fight against him. He gassed out super fast and Cain controlled the fight, but didn't over exert again like Carwin before and was able to completely crush Lesnar. I am kind of glad that Cain won just because it opens up the Heavyweight division big time.

I was impressed that Shields was still able to pull out the win even after how obviously exhausted he was from the weight cut. Kampmann however really needs to work his submission game. He had opportunities but it's like he didn't know how to pull them off. If Shields doesn't cut weight better against GSP he will get finished.

Sanchez looked like his old relentless self. Thiago could not keep the pace at all.

Final thought: Joe Rogan is effing hilarious. The stuff that comes out of that guy's mouth...

I was being serious. I've seen Lesnar take more devastating shots than that before and eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Something had to have been up.

I was being serious. I've seen Lesnar take more devastating shots than that before and eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Something had to have been up.

Well, Cain has the hardest punch ever registered on the show "Sports Science" at over 2000lbs. Also, Brock really gassed himself and he panics when he has someone on him pummeling him. He doesn't know how to defend himself well which means he continues to get his face smashed. The only person who ever pummeled him like that was Carwin, and Brock reacted the same way only it was Carwin who gassed himself out last time.

The Knee is what killed him, he also took a shot right behind his ear IIRC which throws your balance off completely.
2jcedcp1.gif
Lesnar has been rocked by a Mir Knee and a Carwin uppercut. Cain was landing clean in his onslaught whereas Carwin was landing on Brocks arms.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back