PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA's, who should the Patriots sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a long time since the draft, but with the lockout about to end. one of the first items of business for the Patriots will be to sign about 10 UDFA's.

Here is a list of players that will be available:

Great Blue North Draft Report

Who should the Patriots go after? I really, really want them to bring in Herzlich. Tolliver could be a nice pick up at WR. and Rich Lapham could be a sleeper at ROT.

Who else?

Last edited:
Its the perfect scenario for Herzlich to come as an UDFA. There is no depth, let alone starting quality OLBs on this team.

I like that DII OLB someone posted in another thread. John Clay for the PS and camp competition. I dont know many others. Lockette and Tolliver for WR.

Its the perfect scenario for Herzlich to come as an UDFA. There is no depth, let alone starting quality OLBs on this team.

I like that DII OLB someone posted in another thread. John Clay for the PS and camp competition. I dont know many others. Lockette and Tolliver for WR.

Clay was on my list at RB. I really liked him every time I saw Wisconsin play. they had a deep stable of RB's so his playing time was shortened this year. But he came on strong in the Rose Bowl.

His weight can be a problem but that may be due to his ankle injury.

Herzlich would be a waste. Let him go somewhere he actually has a chance, a 4-3 team. He's an ILB for the Pats, and he's not beating out any of the top 4 right now.

Guys I like:
Jeff Maehl, WR
Dane Sanzenbacher, WR
Willie Smith, OL
Jake Kirkpatrick, C
Dain Taylor, OLB
Kendric Burney, CB
Deandre McDaniel, S

And the one UDFA that I have the most interest in:
Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers

Worst case scenario, he's a 6-foot, 210-pound, 4.42-speed gunner candidate.

Last edited:
Herzlich would be a waste. Let him go somewhere he actually has a chance, a 4-3 team. He's an ILB for the Pats, and he's not beating out any of the top 4 right now.

Why is he incapable of becoming an OLB?

Why is he incapable of becoming an OLB?

He lacks bulk. He lacks pass rush moves. He lacks a quick first step. He lacks any experience setting the edge. Basically, he needs to get his athleticism back, and then learn just about everything there is about playing OLB.

Here is my list:

Undrafted Free Agents:

1. Ryan Bartholomew (C) – Syracuse
2. Zach Hurd (G) - Connecticut
3. Dane Sanzenbacher (WR) – Ohio State
4. Terrence Tolliver (WR) - LSU
5. Mark Herzlich (OLB) – Boston College
6. Ugo Chinasa (OLB) – Oklahoma State
7. DeAndre McDaniel (S) - Clemson

I keep an ongoing Roster file where I do my own Mock Draft (and revise it about 100 times). After that I look at who is left and do a UDFA list, so I just cut-and-pasted the above list. I see a few of us are on the same page. I doubt BB is among us...

1. Ryan Bartholomew (C) – Syracuse - very good choice

I forgot that he didn't get drafted. Sharp, decisive blocker, who had been rated in the mid rounds by some draftniks. He's smart and very good in pass protection, underrated as a run blocker, voted team captain. With Neal retiring, Mankins franchised and Koppen turning 31, bringing in a guy who's strong, bright and a leader, and has played both guard and center wouldn't hurt.

Tim Barnes, Missouri, another C/G who could fit with the Pats. Was rated as 3rd best center by some, directed the O Line for Blaine Gabbert.

DeAndre McDaniel S, Clemson - rated the 2nd best safety by many. Strong, athletic, a hitter whose a bit slow (though one of best in broad jump and vertical leap), McDaniel was star at Clemson. Excellent 'ball skills.' Was arrested as sophomore for aggravated assault on his girlfriend. Case never went to court - McDaniel agreed to community service and intervention. He turned himself around and won awards for his academic improvement, made honor roll and was voted team captain. Some wiseguys call him NFL ready.

Last edited:
There are still a bunch of guys that went undrafted that I really like.

RB- Graig Cooper- Miami- Huge upside, graded similarly to Mark Ingram before injury last year, potential steal of the UDFA’s
RB- Brandon Saine- Ohio State- Hybrid RB/WR, poor man’s Reggie Bush
WRs- Terrence Tolliver- LSU- Big physical WR, ton of upside, raw
WR- Ricardo Lockette
WR- Tori Gurley- South Carolina
WR- DeAndre Brown- Southern Miss- Huge potential, great size (6’6”), still hasn’t recovered pre-injury form
OT- Willie Smith- East Carolina- great developmental OT prospect, shocked he went undrafted
OT- David Mims- Virginia Union
OL- Jarriel King- South Carolina
TE/OT- Will Yeatman- Maryland
OG- Zach Hurd- UConn
C- Tim Barnes- Missouri
C- Jake Kirkpatrick- TCU
C- Kris O’Dowd- USC
C- Zane Taylor- Utah
OLB- Ugo Chinasa- Okla State- Prototypical OLB size, great athlete, raw but had a breakout season his senior year.
OLB- Steven Friday- V Tech
LB- Mark Herzlich- BC- Great story and a legitimate NFL prospect, backup ILB and ST’er
DL- Cedrick Thornton- Southern Arkansas- Huge upside as a sub rushing DL, small school but a ton of potential
DL- Adrian Taylor- Okla- Was considered a potential 1st rounder before last season, but injury derailed him. Great two gap technique, lacks the height to fit at DE, but I LOVE him as a developmental NT. Would likely spend a year on IR.
CB- Kendric Burney- UNC- Surprised he went undrafted, good Nickel CB/ST’er
FS- Deunta Williams- UNC- The most talented player to go undrafted, I had him graded as a potential top 15 pick before the season. Went undrafted due to injury, but a great option to put on IR for a year.
FS/SS- DeAndre McDaniel- Clemson- 2nd/3rd round talent, went undrafted likely because of character concerns, but as an UDFA definitely worth the risk.

Wait, we can sign these guys today/ as well as our own free agents, and free agency starts tomorrow?!?!

-ESPN

Last edited:
DE Cedric Thorton
DE Corbin Bryant
DE Lawrence Marsh
DE Brandon Bair
NT Ian Williams
NT Adrian Taylor
OLB Marc Schiechl
OLB Keith Darbut
S Joe Lefeged
S Deunta Williams
C Tim Barnes
C Zane Taylor
G Chris Stewart
FB Preston Dial
FB Henry Hynoski
RB Brandon Saine
RB John Clay
RB Graig Cooper
WR Terrance Tolliver
WR Ricardo Lockette

As always, NEPD will host a page detailing which UDFA's each NFL team signs - check it out as soon as UDFA's start signing: 2011 Undrafted Free Agents

Even some of us (like moi) who know nothing of any college players like reading these threads. Fun!

Even some of us (like moi) who know nothing of any college players like reading these threads. Fun!

Amen. I am constantly amazed by the wealth of information supplied by some of the people here.

WR Maehl Oregon. Perfect Patriots player

1. Ryan Bartholomew (C) – Syracuse - very good choice

I forgot that he didn't get drafted. Sharp, decisive blocker, who had been rated in the mid rounds by some draftniks. He's smart and very good in pass protection, underrated as a run blocker, voted team captain. With Neal retiring, Mankins franchised and Koppen turning 31, bringing in a guy who's strong, bright and a leader, and has played both guard and center wouldn't hurt.

Tim Barnes, Missouri, another C/G who could fit with the Pats. Was rated as 3rd best center by some, directed the O Line for Blaine Gabbert.

DeAndre McDaniel S, Clemson - rated the 2nd best safety by many. Strong, athletic, a hitter whose a bit slow (though one of best in broad jump and vertical leap), McDaniel was star at Clemson. Excellent 'ball skills.' Was arrested as sophomore for aggravated assault on his girlfriend. Case never went to court - McDaniel agreed to community service and intervention. He turned himself around and won awards for his academic improvement, made honor roll and was voted team captain. Some wiseguys call him NFL ready.

Fun fact: last summer, DraftTek.com had the Patriots selecting DeAndre McDaniel. . . .

. . . . with Oakland's first-rounder. :bricks:

Wait, we can sign these guys today/ as well as our own free agents, and free agency starts tomorrow?!?!

-ESPN

From what I am seeing teams can sign both their own draft picks as well as rookie undrafted free agents at 10 am tomorrow (Tuesday); Friday will be day when teams can sign veteran free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes