Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
2001: Stephen Neal, Tom Ashworth

2002:

2003: Shawn Mayer

2004: Randall Gay, Eric Alexander

2005: Bam Childress, Santonio Thomas, Wesley Britt, Mike Wright

2006: Corey Mays, Pierre Woods

2007: Matt Guitterez, Dan Connolly* (started on PS)

2008: BenJarvis Green-Ellis, Vince Redd, Gary Guyton, Tyson DeVree

2009: Brian Hoyer, Brent Lockett, Kyle Arrington

2010: Kyle Love, Dane Fletcher

We have got some pretty good players who have been given no shot.

Neal,Gay,Guyton are prob the best but the majority of the players have made an impact on the team at some point in their career

Last edited:
Kyle Arrington would also be on this list since he was a UDFA who was cut by the Eagles.. A similar situation as to what happened with Ashworth.

Wesley Britt should not be on the list as he was drafted by the Chargers, originally.

Last edited:
Kyle Arrington would also be on this list since he was a UDFA who was cut by the Eagles.. A similar situation as to what happened with Ashworth.

your right I forgot about him. thanks

I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again (being that it'll probably get lost in the shuffle): I'm intrigued to see whether or not BB will shuffle Love in at NT and move Vince out to DE at any point in the season.

I originally posted this in the Dane Fletcher thread, but I'll re-post an edited version here since we're talking about undrafted free agents.

Undrafted free agents who were originally signed by the Pats:
  • QB Brian Hoyer
  • RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
  • OL Stephen Neal
  • OL Ryan Wendell
  • DL Mike Wright
  • DL Kyle Love
  • ILB Gary Guyton
  • ILB Dane Fletcher

Free agents with little or no prior experience who are with the Pats:
  • OL Dan Connolly
  • OL Mark LeVoir
  • OLB Rob Ninkovich
  • OLB Marques Murrell
  • CB Kyle Arrington

There's also a lot of late round picks from the list of players that were drafted by the Pats:

-> 7th Round:
  • WR Julian Edelman
  • OLB Tully Banta-Cain
  • DL Brandon Deaderick
-> 6th Round:
  • QB Tom Brady
  • DL Myron Pryor
  • LS Jake Ingram
-> 5th Round:
  • C Dan Koppen
  • ST Matt Slater
  • P Zoltan Mesko
-> 4th Round:
  • S James Sanders
  • K Stephen Gostkowski
  • CB Jonathan Wilhite
  • TE Aaron Hernandez

Last edited:
I originally posted this in the Dane Fletcher thread, but I'll re-post an edited version here since we're talking about undrafted free agents.

• QB Brian Hoyer
  • OL Stephen Neal
  • OL Ryan Wendell
  • DL Mike Wright
  • DL Kyle Love
  • ILB Gary Guyton
  • ILB Dane Fletcher

• OL Dan Connolly
  • OL Mark LeVoir
  • OLB Rob Ninkovich
  • OLB Marques Murrell
  • CB Kyle Arrington

There's also a lot of late round picks from the list of players that were drafted by the Pats:

-> 7th Round:
  • WR Julian Edelman
  • OLB Tully Banta-Cain
  • DL Brandon Deaderick
-> 6th Round:
  • QB Tom Brady
  • DL Myron Pryor
  • LS Jake Ingram
-> 5th Round:
  • C Dan Koppen
  • ST Matt Slater
  • P Zoltan Mesko
-> 4th Round:
  • S James Sanders
  • K Stephen Gostkowski
  • CB Jonathan Wilhite
  • TE Aaron Hernandez

You've forgotten Randall Gay who was a spot starter for us and a SB hero. He is still in the league and playing.

You've forgotten Randall Gay who was a spot starter for us and a SB hero. He is still in the league and playing.

Sorry, I overlooked the OP's thread title; I was looking at players on the current Pats roster.

2000: Matt Chatham

That is alot of players who were drafted later to still be on the team! (I know that TBC went then came back)

I am sure Matt Cassel can be added to the list aswell!

Says something about the crapshoot that is known as the draft...

Says something about the crapshoot that is known as the draft...

Also says something about our scouts! They know what they see!

• QB Brian Hoyer
  • OL Stephen Neal
  • OL Ryan Wendell
  • DL Mike Wright
  • DL Kyle Love
  • ILB Gary Guyton
  • ILB Dane Fletcher

• OL Dan Connolly
  • OL Mark LeVoir
  • OLB Rob Ninkovich
  • OLB Marques Murrell
  • CB Kyle Arrington

-> 7th Round:
  • WR Julian Edelman
  • OLB Tully Banta-Cain
  • DL Brandon Deaderick
-> 6th Round:
  • QB Tom Brady
  • DL Myron Pryor
  • LS Jake Ingram
-> 5th Round:
  • C Dan Koppen
  • ST Matt Slater
  • P Zoltan Mesko
-> 4th Round:
  • S James Sanders
  • K Stephen Gostkowski
  • CB Jonathan Wilhite
  • TE Aaron Hernandez

Isn't it obvious? These are cheaper than higher round picks - the whole "value" nonsense. If you trade your second rounder for three fourths you're obviously going to have more fourths on the team. And we all know, whether or not we want to admit it, Krafty is pennywise. When's the last time they traded way up in the first round to get a serious impact player? They'd rather roll the dice with two seconds and two thirds than trade up to get a big time player. Guarantee they trade one of their firsts next year down....

Isn't it obvious? These are cheaper than higher round picks - the whole "value" nonsense. If you trade your second rounder for three fourths you're obviously going to have more fourths on the team. And we all know, whether or not we want to admit it, Krafty is pennywise. When's the last time they traded way up in the first round to get a serious impact player? They'd rather roll the dice with two seconds and two thirds than trade up to get a big time player. Guarantee they trade one of their firsts next year down....
I think your assumption that trading down equals being cheap is one of those things that gets repeated so often that it becomes accepted as the truth, when in fact it has no basis in fact.

Belichick and Kraft see more value in spreading money throughout the roster. Other teams, such as the Colts, prefer to be top heavy, offset by a larger number of players making $400k or less on the roster. When all is said and done, both teams end up spending about the same, right up to the cap, year after year. It's not a case of right or wrong, just different philosophies - just like when one team is successful using a 4-3 defense it doesn't mean using a 3-4 defense is wrong.

I'll put it another way, with some simple math. Team 1 spends $10, $1 and $1 million dollars on three players. Team 2 spends $6, $4, and $2 million on three players. Each team has spent exactly the same, $12 million. Yet by your logic Team 2 is being cheap because their top salary is lower than the top salary on Team 1.

Last edited:
The 'never trade up' line is another cliche that has been repeated so often it is accepted as truth, with little basis of fact. The Pats have traded up to get Matt Light, Daniel Graham, Asante Samuel, Bethel Johnson, Eugene Wilson, Chad Jackson, and Ron Brace. Yes, some of those did not turn out to be "impact" players, but the idea that the Pats never trade up is not true.

Also, it has been reported that the Patriots could have had either a 2010 2nd round pick or a 2011 1st round pick in exchange for Seymour. The fact that the Pats opted for a first rounder kind of shoots a hole in your theory that they prefer later round picks.

Why the preoccupation with first round, and only first round picks? Since there's no guarantee that they will be "a big time player", then perhaps drafting two or three second rounders is a better philosophy, as it would increase your chances of finding a starter or elite player.

By the way, the Patriots have seven players they drafted in the first round, and ten more they drafted in the second round. I would love to hear an explanation of how trading up would improve those numbers.

Last edited:

Well if the Raiders finish in top 5, and there is no rookie salary cap; I think we can guarantee it! 5-10 is likely; but anything below I see BB keeping.

Wasn't that Wecker guy an UDFA?

When's the last time the Pats were under the salary cap by more than $1m at the end of the season? When's the last time the Pats weren't one of the bottom 5 teams in the league in available cap space?

That is why I love this board on person says somethimr stupis and 3 or 4 people come back tell them they are stupid then show them why they are stupid

2001: Stephen Neal, Tom Ashworth

2002:

2003: Shawn Mayer

2004: Randall Gay, Eric Alexander

2005: Bam Childress, Santonio Thomas, Wesley Britt, Mike Wright

2006: Corey Mays, Pierre Woods

2007: Matt Guitterez, Dan Connolly* (started on PS)

2008: BenJarvis Green-Ellis, Vince Redd, Gary Guyton, Tyson DeVree

2009: Brian Hoyer, Brent Lockett, Kyle Arrington

2010: Kyle Love, Dane Fletcher

We have got some pretty good players who have been given no shot.

Neal,Gay,Guyton are prob the best but the majority of the players have made an impact on the team at some point in their career

Maybe you can add Joe Andruzzi to the list. He was an UDFA from C.W. Post signed by GB, was cut before the 97 season, played football in Europe and was signed in 2000 by BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes