UDFA tidbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
2 of them (OT Randy Hand and QB Corey Bramlet) signed 3-year deals.
10 of them (C Brian Barthelmes, WR Erik Davis, DE Kader Drame, LB Corey Mays, LB Freddie Roach, LB Pierre Woods, CB Vernell Brown, CB Gemara Williams, S Keon Jackson, S Sam Smith) signed 2-year deals.
3 of them (S Jarvis Herring, DT Remi Ayodele, WR Matt Shelton) signed one-year deals.

I am guessing that Hand and Bramlet got the largest signing bonuses out of the 15 UDFAs and that Herring, Ayodele, and Shelton did not get a signing bonus.

Interesting bits of info..I understand the 2 year deal...why 3?? or 1?? Any thoughts as to why the differing years of a contract?? Obviously, if a player makes the team, the Pats would want him locked up for at least another year...hence 2... Just curious. GREAT INFO!!

The length of contract/signing bonus may say as much about other team's interest as it does about NE's expectations. Hand, for example, got talked up as a scout favorite in the Shrine Game, even though I didn't see him being that productive in the game.

BB was saying that some UDFAs get up to $50K signing bonuses, which is roughly the same as 7th round picks, while others get as little as $2K. Since UDFAs count against the rookie cap allotment, it makes sense to spread their SBs over more years.

For example, let's assume Bramlet and Hand got $48K bonuses. By spreading it over 3 years instead of 2, the Pats are saving $16K against the rookie salary cap this year. And while that seems like very little, it actually makes up for about $96K of Maroney's SB ($16K over 6 years).

The length of Bramlet's and Hand's deals may mean they are not here just to be warm bodies or provide competition, they've been given the chance to develop with this team. BB has a history of keeping little known offensive linemen around, on and off the 53, on and off the PS, until they finally get the chance on gameday to prove themselves; Neal, Ashworth, and Hochstein have all followed this path. Some would say Wesley Britt is set to become the latest benefactor of this policy. We don't keep 9 QB's on the roster so there hasn't been room to groom someone, however expect Bramlet to end up on the DL or PS this season.

Pats726 said:
Interesting bits of info..I understand the 2 year deal...why 3?? or 1?? Any thoughts as to why the differing years of a contract?? Obviously, if a player makes the team, the Pats would want him locked up for at least another year...hence 2... Just curious. GREAT INFO!!

I think that Box O Rocks nailed. I think that there were other teams interested in the players and the Pats were compelled to offer signing bonuses in order to sign the UDFA. The Patriots then lengthen the deal in order to minimize the signing bonus proration.

Seymour93 said:
The length of Bramlet's and Hand's deals may mean they are not here just to be warm bodies or provide competition, they've been given the chance to develop with this team. BB has a history of keeping little known offensive linemen around, on and off the 53, on and off the PS, until they finally get the chance on gameday to prove themselves; Neal, Ashworth, and Hochstein have all followed this path. Some would say Wesley Britt is set to become the latest benefactor of this policy. We don't keep 9 QB's on the roster so there hasn't been room to groom someone, however expect Bramlet to end up on the DL or PS this season.

Yep. I especially look at Bramlett. You'd figure he's brought in to be a live arm during Training Camp. The Patriots sign at least one of these guys every year. But there's no reason to give a TC QB a three-year deal if you don't really, really like his potential. If another team offers him a bigger signing bonus, and the QB opts to go there, BB would simply bring in the next QB off his list. There's literally dozens on undrafted college QBs who would jump at the chance to get into an NFL training camp.

bucky said:
BB was saying that some UDFAs get up to $50K signing bonuses, which is roughly the same as 7th round picks, while others get as little as $2K. Since UDFAs count against the rookie cap allotment, it makes sense to spread their SBs over more years.

For example, let's assume Bramlet and Hand got $48K bonuses. By spreading it over 3 years instead of 2, the Pats are saving $16K against the rookie salary cap this year. And while that seems like very little, it actually makes up for about $96K of Maroney's SB ($16K over 6 years).
Only if Bramlet makes the 53 man roster. If he is cut, the remaining signing bonus hits the cap next year. So it will cost the Pats $32K next year instead of $16K (in youkr example). Or do I have this cap stuff wrong again?

And with the Pats a kazillion dollars under this year, why would the try to sread out the money?

Last edited:
Please note for all practical purposes that 2006 is the only year that these players will be able to negotiate a signing bonus. If Ayodele is on the 53-man roster at the end of the year, he will then become an ERFA next year and has to accept the Patriots' tender offer in order to play in the NFL in 2007.

Pats726 said:
If he makes the team, they have him locked up anyway as an ERFA, don't they?

spacecrime said:
Only if Bramlet makes the 53 man roster. If he is cut, the remaining signing bonus hits the cap next year. So it will cost the Pats $32K next year instead of $16K (in youkr example). Or do I have this cap stuff wrong again?

And with the Pats a kazillion dollars under this year, why would the try to sread out the money?

You're right about the cap in general. I was talking about the rookie allotment for this year, which is aroud $4.6 mil and includes the UDFAs' cap hits. Or does it? If it doesn't, I see no benefit whatsoever in spreading the cap hit over multiple years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing