PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA Signing Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also might be thinking that he doesn't need any more wide-bodies at DE if he plans on more 4-3 looks.
So as you stated, Bill might figure that the ones he already has (Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace, Warren)
could be enough to cobble a 4-3 DT/3-4 NT rotation together. Fanene should also be part of the 4-3 DT rotation in passing situations, and at 3-4 DE in the base.

That's true. But if BB plans to run any substantial amount of 2-4-5, Ochmed has quite correctly pointed out in a pre-draft post that such a scheme requires two very stout tackles up front. That was one reason why I thought that he might trade up for a guy like Brockers, and also why I could have seen him targeting someone like Ta'amu, Chapman or Thompson later in the draft. Also, there was some suggestion with the Albert Haynesworth experiment in 2011 that 2 widebodies at DT in a 4-3 could be dominant - much as the 2000 Ravens proved with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

That's true. But if BB plans to run any substantial amount of 2-4-5, Ochmed has quite correctly pointed out in a pre-draft post that such a scheme requires two very stout tackles up front. That was one reason why I thought that he might trade up for a guy like Brockers, and also why I could have seen him targeting someone like Ta'amu, Chapman or Thompson later in the draft. Also, there was some suggestion with the Albert Haynesworth experiment in 2011 that 2 widebodies at DT in a 4-3 could be dominant - much as the 2000 Ravens proved with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

If we had two Wilforks up front then I don't think it'd matter what defense we ran. That's why I'm so excited about this upcoming DT class. Its our opportunity to get Vince some help and subject offenses to full scale pocket pressure on a consistent basis.

I'll be watching as many DTs as I can this college season to keep track of their performances. I'm new to the Chicago area football scene though. I wonder if there are any prospects to look for around these parts.

Perhaps an as-yet-to-be-signed (AFAIK) UDFA wide-body like Dominique Hamilton, Myles Wade,
Craig Wilson, Ishmaaily Kitchen, Gordon Witte or Chigbo Anunoby can be brought to TC for a look-see
with the possibility of a spot on the PS.

Love is a self made guy that has really grown a lot as a player since college. When you talk about extracting every last ounce of natural talent, you talk about Love being that poster child.

The problem is what you see is what you get with Love. He is literally scraping the ceiling with no more up side.

So a player coming in with the same ability as Love, but with more room to grow, could beat him out for a roster spot.

Good thing for Love is that no one on the Training camp roster is strong enough to take his spot this year.

It will be interesting to see if the Pats give Love a 2nd round tender next year the way they did Brian Hoyer. It will certainly say something about how they value him. Of course, there's always the possibility that they ink him to a long term deal before he gets to that point.

I personally think Warren will be more than just injury insurance. I think he'll be more of a regular part of the rotation opposite Wilfork, similar to 2010.

It's always interesting to look at what BB does NOT do in the draft. In this case, he did not drafting any big DTs despite several possibilities. In particular, he explicitly passed on Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu and Josh Chapman at 90, when all 3 could easily have gone earlier. So either he didn't think they were very good or he was relatively pleased with his current rotation for now.

It will also be interesting to see if Love deveops any further, or if he has indeed squeezed every ounce out of his ability. For his first 2 years, Love compares quite favorably with Jay Ratliff. Love played in 9 games as a rookie and started 1, with 9 tackles and 1 sack. As a sophomore he played in all 16 games and started 13, with 33 tackles and 3 sacks. Ratliff didn't become a starter until his 3rd year for the Cowboys (in 2007). My gut sense is that Love's ceiling isn't that much higher, but he's already exceeded expectations.

With regards Kyle Love. My view is that BB practices an apprenticeship scheme in effect for the Pats. Prospects serve their apprenticeship (PS, special teams, limited reps) and if they meet BB's exacting standards, then he develops a huge amount of trust in them. Love clearly fits into that team view.

I don't believe that BB thinks (or expects) early contributions from most prospects outside of first round ones. This is a) why he favours this apprenticeship approach and B) why getting cheaper vets in FA is as legitimate a route towards team building as the draft. Witness what happened this year with the deep WR draft and his vet signings at the position. Building a team using these vets is almost more preferable than the draft because these guys have already demonstrated the fortitude to stick in the NFL for a lot of years, something draft prospects haven't.

Whether it's the DT position, or another, when looking at potential Patriot prospects, the vet FA market, and developed players within the system, is just as viable as the draft with first rounders being the exception. That's why we didn't draft the likes of Josh Chapman or Brandon Thompson - Kyle Love has shown more than them.

Have to agree with this. Love has done well with his opportunity. He's a guy who could continue to improve and be a rock solid rotation player.

Very true but he's goin to have to get a lot better, his size n motor r whats good about him rite now but to keep a spot on this team 4 the next few tmyears I think his shedding hands and lateral movement have to get considerably better, that's all IMHO.

Last edited:
Very true but he's goin to have to get a lot better, his size n motor r whats good about him rite now but to keep a spot on this team 4 the next few tmyears I think his shedding hands and lateral movement have to get considerably better, that's all IMHO.

Without checking to see, I believe a previous poster mentioned that Love would be a free agent in a year or two. I think that if he keeps up his current production and shows improvement then New England is probably going to lose him in free agency. Another team will look at him, see that he was a starter on a championship team, and pay him more than we'd be willing to.

Without checking to see, I believe a previous poster mentioned that Love would be a free agent in a year or two. I think that if he keeps up his current production and shows improvement then New England is probably going to lose him in free agency. Another team will look at him, see that he was a starter on a championship team, and pay him more than we'd be willing to.

That was me. Love was a ERFA this year. He will be a RFA after 2012, so the Pats will have to decide whether to tender him at a 1st or 2nd round level. Otherwise they would get no compensation if another team signs him. They tendered Brian Hoyer at a 2nd round level ($1.9M). It would certainly give some idea of how they value Love. Assuming Love isn't signed to a long term deal, he would become a UFA after the 2013 season.

I personally see the Pats trying to extend Love during this season if he continues to play well.

Perhaps an as-yet-to-be-signed (AFAIK) UDFA wide-body like Dominique Hamilton, Myles Wade,
Craig Wilson, Ishmaaily Kitchen, Gordon Witte or Chigbo Anunoby can be brought to TC for a look-see
with the possibility of a spot on the PS.

I can cross Hamilton (Oakland), Anunoby (Indy) & Kitchen (Baltimore) off the list.
So Wade, Wilson & Witte are still on the market AFAIK.

Cross Myles Wade off the Wide-Body list, too. He signed w/ Tampa yesterday.

Patriots announce the seven UDFA signings.

Jeff Demp, RB Florida. This guy was ahead of Chris Rainey in both as a running back and PR/KR. I think the reason why we was not selected in the draft was because he wanted to focus on the Olympics instead of career in the nfl. In the Olympics trial yesterday, he did not make the US team (he finished next to last). I think he will probably sign with nfl team as UDFA now that his Olympic dream is over. Draftniks, is he a fit for Patriots scheme ?

Jeff Demp, RB Florida. This guy was ahead of Chris Rainey in both as a running back and PR/KR. I think the reason why we was not selected in the draft was because he wanted to focus on the Olympics instead of career in the nfl. In the Olympics trial yesterday, he did not make the US team (he finished next to last). I think he will probably sign with nfl team as UDFA now that his Olympic dream is over. Draftniks, is he a fit for Patriots scheme ?

Earlier in he spring he was quoted as saying he would drop 15 lbs from his playing weight to train for the Olympics. If so, that might put him in he 170lbs range. Not necessarily a deal killer, but kinda light for the rigors of he NFL. I don't know how long it would take to put the muscle back on. PS material only?

Earlier in he spring he was quoted as saying he would drop 15 lbs from his playing weight to train for the Olympics. If so, that might put him in he 170lbs range. Not necessarily a deal killer, but kinda light for the rigors of he NFL. I don't know how long it would take to put the muscle back on. PS material only?

It probably made him faster. Even at 5'7 170 he is still 15 pounds bigger than this guy.

Brandon Banks Highlights - YouTube

I'd invite him to camp to compete with Edelman. He could be our KR/PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes