PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA Signing Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the signing of Marcus Forston! Had completely forgotten about him.

In a lot of the early 2012 draft mocks, he was rated 1st round-near the top. If he can stay healthy, then he might have a chance to make it.

This is a guy I will keep a close eye on. Hope he sticks around.

Love the signing of Marcus Forston! Had completely forgotten about him.

In a lot of the early 2012 draft mocks, he was rated 1st round-near the top. If he can stay healthy, then he might have a chance to make it.

This is a guy I will keep a close eye on. Hope he sticks around.

I see Forston as a penetrating DT - insurance in case Myron Pryor gets hurt, or leaves after 2012. But he certainly has the talent to develop into more.

Wilfork, Fanene, Love, Pryor. Presumably Warren. That leaves 1-2 spots for Brace, Deaderick, Harrison and Forston.

I see Forston as a penetrating DT - insurance in case Myron Pryor gets hurt, or leaves after 2012. But he certainly has the talent to develop into more.

Wilfork, Fanene, Love, Pryor. Presumably Warren. That leaves 1-2 spots for Brace, Deaderick, Harrison and Forston.

I'm still waiting to see something out of Brace...would love for him to finally arrive, but who knows.

I've been catching up with Forston on youtube and he's got a lot of good qualities. There are some videos on there that project him in a good light concerning his personality. I like what I've seen of him on tape, as he gets into the backfield regularly. Here's hoping for sustained health.

it's annoying that the Redskins got Minnifield. I would have liked us to grab another talented player who dropped because of an injury... as an UDFA what do we have to lose and he could have turned out to be a good corner.

I'm still waiting to see something out of Brace...would love for him to finally arrive, but who knows.

I've been catching up with Forston on youtube and he's got a lot of good qualities. There are some videos on there that project him in a good light concerning his personality. I like what I've seen of him on tape, as he gets into the backfield regularly. Here's hoping for sustained health.

I'm afraid I've given up on Brace ever being more than a JAG. I would be more than happy for someone like Forston to take his spot.

Here's Wes Bunting's scouting report on Forston from when he declared for the draft in January:

Miami DT Marcus Forston Declares for the Draft: Where does he stand? | National Football Post

Bunting notes:

The biggest concern I have with Forston revolves around his health. He’s missed significant time during both the 2009 (ankle) and 2011 season (knee) because of injuries and his medical report will likely be the key in determining just how high he goes.

Overall, the talent is most definitely there. There are some technique flaws that needs to be addressed, as he has to play lower through contact in order to play up to his physical skill set. However, he’s an explosive kid who can bend, has a good first step, natural power and is sudden enough to shed blocks in both the run and pass game. He does need some work, but Forston has the ability to start at the next level with some development, which is something I can’t say about many of the defensive tackles in the senior class.

Therefore, if he does checks out medically, Forston could be a prospect that might easily out play his draft spot as a potential 2nd/3rd round pick and become one of the better tackles to come out of this class because of his high upside. And eventually mature into a solid/very good starting three-technique in the NFL.

After 3 years, I think that Ron Brace's "upside" has pretty well been established, and it's not very high. Time to give someone else a chance.

I agree but this smells like a red-shirt year for Forston. Get him completely healthy and introduced to the system for next year.

I'm afraid I've given up on Brace ever being more than a JAG. I would be more than happy for someone like Forston to take his spot.

Here's Wes Bunting's scouting report on Forston from when he declared for the draft in January:

Miami DT Marcus Forston Declares for the Draft: Where does he stand? | National Football Post

Bunting notes:

After 3 years, I think that Ron Brace's "upside" has pretty well been established, and it's not very high. Time to give someone else a chance.

I wasn't a fan of the Brace pick at all...I don't think anyone was if I recall. Playing next to Raji in college apparently disguised his flaws and got him severely overdrafted. Wasn't that the year of Barwinism?

I'm eager to see any kind of potential out of someone on the defensive line, besides Wilfork. It's really just a mediocre bunch that has its moments. If Forston can showcase the talent he's been lauded for and stay healthy then we've struck gold.

Truth be told, Forston put himself in a position to not be drafted. Maybe he was given advice that the DTs in this class were subpar and somebody would pick him at a decent spot because of that. He had a year of eligibility left I believe. He could have raised his stock significantly in that time, and been drafted in the top part of the draft if he had fulfilled upon his promise. Or, he could have faced significant competition next year due to 2013's apparent depth at that position.

The knee injury is a concern, but we just drafted 3 pass rushers with recent injury history. They got over theirs, hopefully (and expectedly) he can get over his.

I agree but this smells like a red-shirt year for Forston. Get him completely healthy and introduced to the system for next year.

After being off a year, he's definitely got a whole 'nother level to perform up to. Let's hope he catches on quickly.

I was the one that listed Bolden based on the NYT article, Fresh Prince Carlton reverted it saying he was signed by the 'skins, that was false however as Bleacher Report got him mixed up with a different Bolden.

I think you have to put Deaderick in the first group, over Warren for sure. Deaderick was probably our second-best D-lineman last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final cut was Wilfork/Fanene/Love/Deaderick/Pryor, and then Brace and Warren fighting for that last spot. And don't be surprised if Brace wins it. Warren they know they can cut and re-sign anytime. They clearly still have some kind of hope for Brace.

One good thing about a lot of the UDFA they signed -- Forston, Zusevics, Bolden (apparently) -- is they have injuries that need clearing up. That makes them pretty good PUP candidates.

Forston from his tapes looks like a slightly longer, rangier version of Myron Pryor.

I think love could b cut n keep Pryor or brace

I think love could b cut n keep Pryor or brace

Not a chance, IMHO. BB loves Love, and he is entrenched as VWs backup at NT and probably more.

Not a chance, IMHO. BB loves Love, and he is entrenched as VWs backup at NT and probably more.

Have to agree with this. Love has done well with his opportunity. He's a guy who could continue to improve and be a rock solid rotation player.

Dan Pompei lists Markus Zurevics among his top UDFA signings:

Guard--Markus Zusevics, Iowa. He might have gone in the fifth or sixth round had he not torn his pec muscle at the combine. Once he gets healthy, Zusevics can become a decent blocker in New England.

NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

Interesting too that he lists Zusevics as a guard rather than a tackle.

Love is a self made guy that has really grown a lot as a player since college. When you talk about extracting every last ounce of natural talent, you talk about Love being that poster child.

The problem is what you see is what you get with Love. He is literally scraping the ceiling with no more up side.

So a player coming in with the same ability as Love, but with more room to grow, could beat him out for a roster spot.

Good thing for Love is that no one on the Training camp roster is strong enough to take his spot this year.

Love is a self made guy that has really grown a lot as a player since college. When you talk about extracting every last ounce of natural talent, you talk about Love being that poster child.

The problem is what you see is what you get with Love. He is literally scraping the ceiling with no more up side.

So a player coming in with the same ability as Love, but with more room to grow, could beat him out for a roster spot.

Good thing for Love is that no one on the Training camp roster is strong enough to take his spot this year.

Everything you say is true. But BB also values guys who get over ounce of ability out of themselves, and he's mentioned Love more than once as one of his UDFA success stories. And he comes at a reasonable cost, at least right now. I think that he would be unlikely to gamble that known quantity away for someone with more upside but more uncertainty.

But I DO think that it's quite possible that Love could go the BJGE route - once he becomes a FA (after 2013; he'll be an RFA after this year, and it will be interesting to see how the Pats tender him) the Pats will have a fixed value on what he is worth, and if someone is going to pay him more to be a starter then the Pats would move on. He's a role player and a valuable one, but not a core guy in any sense of the word.

But I DO think that it's quite possible that Love could go the BJGE route - once he becomes a FA (after 2013; he'll be an RFA after this year, and it will be interesting to see how the Pats tender him) the Pats will have a fixed value on what he is worth, and if someone is going to pay him more to be a starter then the Pats would move on. He's a role player and a valuable one, but not a core guy in any sense of the word.

Cost always seems to be a concern with BB which is why BB makes a killing in the tier two free agents. No doubt in my mind that Love could price himself off the team.

The fact that BB did not draft any big DT's in this draft, even though a trade up for Brockers just sitting there for the taking, makes me think that he is pleased with the Wilfork, Deaderick and Love rotation, (for now) with Warren off the street if someone gets hurt.

Cost always seems to be a concern with BB which is why BB makes a killing in the tier two free agents. No doubt in my mind that Love could price himself off the team.

It will be interesting to see if the Pats give Love a 2nd round tender next year the way they did Brian Hoyer. It will certainly say something about how they value him. Of course, there's always the possibility that they ink him to a long term deal before he gets to that point.

The fact that BB did not draft any big DT's in this draft, even though a trade up for Brockers just sitting there for the taking, makes me think that he is pleased with the Wilfork, Deaderick and Love rotation, (for now) with Warren off the street if someone gets hurt.

I personally think Warren will be more than just injury insurance. I think he'll be more of a regular part of the rotation opposite Wilfork, similar to 2010.

It's always interesting to look at what BB does NOT do in the draft. In this case, he did not drafting any big DTs despite several possibilities. In particular, he explicitly passed on Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu and Josh Chapman at 90, when all 3 could easily have gone earlier. So either he didn't think they were very good or he was relatively pleased with his current rotation for now.

It will also be interesting to see if Love deveops any further, or if he has indeed squeezed every ounce out of his ability. For his first 2 years, Love compares quite favorably with Jay Ratliff. Love played in 9 games as a rookie and started 1, with 9 tackles and 1 sack. As a sophomore he played in all 16 games and started 13, with 33 tackles and 3 sacks. Ratliff didn't become a starter until his 3rd year for the Cowboys (in 2007). My gut sense is that Love's ceiling isn't that much higher, but he's already exceeded expectations.

It's always interesting to look at what BB does NOT do in the draft. In this case, he did not drafting any big DTs despite several possibilities. In particular, he explicitly passed on Brandon Thompson, Alameda Ta'amu and Josh Chapman at 90, when all 3 could easily have gone earlier. So either he didn't think they were very good or he was relatively pleased with his current rotation for now...

He also might be thinking that he doesn't need any more wide-bodies at DE if he plans on more 4-3 looks.
So as you stated, Bill might figure that the ones he already has (Wilfork, Love, Deaderick, Brace, Warren)
could be enough to cobble a 4-3 DT/3-4 NT rotation together. Fanene should also be part of the 4-3 DT rotation in passing situations, and at 3-4 DE in the base.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back