PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

UDFA deals, as per Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the draft, I read that $76,000 was allotted for rookie signings.
I figured that the amount is much too low for the draft choices so
it has to be the UDFAs. Other years, all rookies, undrafted and drafted,
were included in the rookie pool. There was no limit on UDFA bonus money.
Maybe, too much money was diverted from the draft picks?
With some teams having signed over 20 UDFAs, I'd like to know where you read that there was $76K allotted for UDFA signings..

BTW, according to the CBA, the allotment for UDFAs was 75K last year. And this year it goes up by the total amount that the Rookie Allotment went up. So it's a %.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow-up Adam.
BTW, do you know from where the league pulled that $76,585 figure for UDFA bonuses?
It seems rather arbitrary, unless it is tied to some % of the overall rookie pool.

It is the same as the percentage increase in the "base" rookie pool. Last year, the league-wide rookie pool -- not including comp picks and undrafted players, which is why I call it the "base" rookie pool -- was set at $159 million. This year, the only increase was that the rookie minimum went from $375,000 to $390,000. So, multiply the $15,000 increase by 224 draft slots (32 picks in seven rounds), and you get $3.36 million. Add that to the $159 million from last year, and the total for the 224 draft slots comes to $162.36 million. Divide that by $159 million, and the increase is 2.1132 percent. Multiply that by last year's undrafted rookie reservation of $75,000, and you get $76,585.

It is the same as the percentage increase in the "base" rookie pool. Last year, the league-wide rookie pool -- not including comp picks and undrafted players, which is why I call it the "base" rookie pool -- was set at $159 million. This year, the only increase was that the rookie minimum went from $375,000 to $390,000. So, multiply the $15,000 increase by 224 draft slots (32 picks in seven rounds), and you get $3.36 million. Add that to the $159 million from last year, and the total for the 224 draft slots comes to $162.36 million. Divide that by $159 million, and the increase is 2.1132 percent. Multiply that by last year's undrafted rookie reservation of $75,000, and you get $76,585.

Whoa!! It's The Man, himself!! :rocker:

I didn't realize you were one of US, Brother Adam... :eek:

In the words of Cyrus the Virus to Garland Green ~ The Marrietta Mangler:

Love Your Work.
thumb.gif

garland.jpg

With some teams having signed over 20 UDFAs, I'd like to know where you read that there was $76K allotted for UDFA signings..

BTW, according to the CBA, the allotment for UDFAs was 75K last year. And this year it goes up by the total amount that the Rookie Allotment went up. So it's a %.

Change my word signings to bonuses. For $76K you would sign part of a player. The teams signing 21 players must exhaust their bonus money pretty quickly. The Patriots spent most of theirs on only 7 players.

Change my word signings to bonuses. For $76K you would sign part of a player. The teams signing 21 players must exhaust their bonus money pretty quickly. The Patriots spent most of theirs on only 7 players.

Yep -- in essence the UDFA bonus cap means that just as with draft picks, each team is allotted resources for about 7 priority UDFAs. But you can fill out the end of your camp roster with as many non-bonus scrubs as you like.

As for the Cowboys and their 21 UDFAs...they also had a full draft class of 7 picks. 28 rookies! Having that much room for tryouts isn't a great sign about your roster depth.

Change my word signings to bonuses. For $76K you would sign part of a player. The teams signing 21 players must exhaust their bonus money pretty quickly.

Here's the guaranteed money that the Cowboys gave to each of the 21 UDFAs that they signed right after the draft --

Code:
G Ron Leary  		 $214,000 ($9,000 SB, $205,000 of salary guaranteed)
WR Tim Benford  	 $20,000 ($0 SB, $20,000 of salary guaranteed)
WR Saalim Hakim		 $17,500 ($10,000 SB, $7,500 of salary guaranteed)
LS Charley Hughlett  	 $10,000 ($0 SB, $10,000 of salary guaranteed)
T Levy Ad****  		 $9,000
LB Aston Whiteside  	 $5,000 ($2,000 SB, $3,000 of salary guaranteed)
G Harland Gunn  	 $5,000
T Jeff Adams  		 $4,000
TE George Bryan  	 $4,000
T Taylor Dever  	 $4,000
LB Adrian Hamilton  	 $4,000
T Tyrone Novikoff  	 $4,000
RB Darrell Scott  	 $4,000
TE Andrew Szczerba  	 $4,000
S Eddie Whitley  	 $4,000
CB Isaac Madison  	 $2,000
WR Cole Beasley  	 $1,500
RB Lance Dunbar  	 $1,500
WR Donavon Kemp  	 $1,500
CB Lionel Smith  	 $1,500
CB Troy Woolfolk  	 $1,500

As you can see, they gave several players partial guarantees instead of or in addition to signing bonuses. The undrafted rookie reservation of $76,585 applies only to the signing bonuses.

Here's the guaranteed money that the Cowboys gave to each of the 21 UDFAs that they signed right after the draft --

Code:
G Ron Leary  		 $214,000 ($9,000 SB, $205,000 of salary guaranteed)

As you can see, they gave several players partial guarantees instead of or in addition to signing bonuses. The undrafted rookie reservation of $76,585 applies only to the signing bonuses.

Question: do you know what they are guaranteed against? Are they saying that they will give Leary $205K even if he's cut and not signed by another team?

That actually makes sense to me. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back