Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Used Uranium-Depleted Rounds in Yugoslavia, Iraq and Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, May 21, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The webpage does not inspire confidence, but the Youtube clip is of a credible news TV show:

"It's called "depleted" uranium, but it's radioactive and on impact and when burned it releases nano-particles of radioactive uranium into the environment.

We know that millions of pounds of depleted uranium rounds have been used by the US military in Yugoslavia, Iraq and Afghanistan with catastrophic results on both civilians and military personnel.

Now it appears the US is using depleted uranium rounds within its own borders for target practice."

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/102.html
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is old news. We had depleted uranium rounds for a number of ordnance delivery systems way back in the late 1960s. I'm sure Ft. Campbell, home of the Armor Corps, has seen tons of the stuff come and go, and I'm sure they have used it for target practice around Ft. Campbell, which is in Kentucky. DU is the primary means of defeating other armored vehicles, due to its high heat intensity which can burn through anything.

I've never seen a detailed breakdown on the health costs for this stuff, but it cannot be healthy to be around. Of most concern is the way it vaporizes when used in a tank-busting, bunker-busting or similar role. The radioactive dust then just blows where ever the wind takes it. Just how damaging it is I do not know.

//