Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes' in all vehicles

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 27, 2011.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Before people start to make his a partisan issue, the boxes have been in some cars for as long as 20 years. My question is why they need to be in all cars? What's next after these mandatory data collecting boxes, GPS?

Last Updated: May 26. 2011 1:57PM

U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes'

David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau

The U.S. Transportation Department said today it will propose making vehicle "black boxes" mandatory in all vehicles by the end of the year.

The department's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has long considered whether to make black boxes, officially called event data recorders, or EDRs, mandatory. They collect data about the seconds leading up to a crash and can help investigators determine the cause.

Last year, Congress considered requiring EDRs in all vehicles. NHTSA Administrator David Strickland told Congress the agency was studying the issue.

From The Detroit News: Autos Insider | U.S. to propose mandatory vehicle 'black boxes' | The Detroit News

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,985 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Along those same lines, automatically, mandate, etc. toll tags in all new vehicles. Factory install them. Like Icy said, they already can track us so why not get rid of costly toll booths. I forget the labor expense of those toll booths in Ma., maybe 50%? Get rid of all the maintenance, wages, safety issues, wasted fuel, etc. Just Drive.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

I don't think "they can already track you" is a justification. What about people who don't use cell phones, or use "burners" (yeah, watching The Wire lately :) )? Plus, did the government mandate that tracking be a part of any cell phone, or is it simply the way the technology work?

re. cars, if it's simply about saving lives, then make sure the black boxes can't actually record and save any location data -- only information that would be relevant to a crash

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Really? They can track you alrady so who cares? Wow. :rolleyes:

Why do the boxes have to be in every car? There has to be 100 million vehicles in this country. I think putting them in a small percentage of that many vehicles will provide the gubmit with more than enough of a sample size to analyze. They don't need to be in everyone's car.

I looked it up. I was off by a tad in my car guesstimate. Seriously, like they need them to be in every car.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the cell phone needs to to be on. It is weird, but that is how it is