Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. suspends supplier of arms to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 15 / -12

What's your guess, just more corruption or incompetence by the Bush administration?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/world/asia/28ammo.html

When the United States Army decided this week to suspend the main supplier of munitions to Afghan security forces from future federal work, it did so after a field investigation documented what it called an act of fraud.

Last Nov. 25, the president of the company, Efraim E. Diveroli, signed papers certifying that 28 pallets of ammunition for Afghanistan had been manufactured by MFS 2000, a Hungarian company, according to the investigators’ memorandum.
    Acting on a tip, the Army’s Procurement Fraud Branch visited an Afghan ammunition storage site in January after the shipment arrived. There, investigators found that ammunition certified as Hungarian was actually made in China, according to the memorandum.

The investigators’ discovery did more than lead to his company’s suspension. The discovery placed him at risk of a federal criminal charge of fraud. And it raised questions about how Army contracting officials have been securing arms for the Pentagon’s allies in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mr. Diveroli’s company, AEY Inc. of Miami Beach, received a two-year contract in January 2007, potentially worth $298 million, to provide Afghan security forces with ammunition. At the time, Mr. Diveroli was 21.

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And you arrived at blaming the administration for the actions of a contractor who "knowingly misrepresented what the company would provide" how exactly?

I mean, get a grip.

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +358 / 15 / -12

I think the following would have raised some red flags: the owner was 22 years old and the company was previously engaged in printing, not exactly related to munitions. In addition, why did it take over a year and a "tip" to discover this given that "almost all of (the munitions were) in poor packaging. AEY has also worked with middlemen and a shell company that are on a list of federal entities suspected of illegal arms trafficking and that have been accused of corruption."

When we sign contracts for $300 million, I believe our government has a responsibility to have high standards and accurate vetting. I also think there's more to this story than just incompetence.

(Note that I changed the link to one to the New York Times, since it had more details than the CNN article.)

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where did you see $300 million?

In your original article it mentions $10m for that company and $200m for various contracts.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +358 / 15 / -12

The New York Times article, linked in my revised initial post, said its potentially worth up to $300 million (but $200 million/$300 million, does it matter?).

6. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Considering the source (NYT)...you're damn right. LOL

I trust them like you guys trust Fox.

:D