Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, any parallels here with the "flat earth society" or "the sun revolves around the earth" mistakes?? Makes me wonder. Out loud.

[size=+3]Senate Report Debunks "Consensus"[/size]

[size=+1]Complete U.S. Senate Report Now Available: [/size]

Over 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries recently voiced significant objections to major aspects of the so-called "consensus" on man-made global warming. These scientists, many of whom are current and former participants in the UN IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), criticized the climate claims made by the UN IPCC and former Vice President Al Gore.

The new report issued by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee’s office of the GOP Ranking Member details the views of the scientists, the overwhelming majority of whom spoke out in 2007.

Even some in the establishment media now appear to be taking notice of the growing number of skeptical scientists. In October, the Washington Post Staff Writer Juliet Eilperin conceded the obvious, writing that climate skeptics "appear to be expanding rather than shrinking." Many scientists from around the world have dubbed 2007 as the year man-made global warming fears “bite the dust.” In addition, many scientists who are also progressive environmentalists believe climate fear promotion has "co-opted" the green movement.

This blockbuster Senate report lists the scientists by name, country of residence, and academic/institutional affiliation. It also features their own words, biographies, and weblinks to their peer reviewed studies and original source materials as gathered from public statements, various news outlets, and websites in 2007. This new “consensus busters” report is poised to redefine the debate.

Many of the scientists featured in this report consistently stated that numerous colleagues shared their views, but they will not speak out publicly for fear of retribution. Atmospheric scientist Dr. Nathan Paldor, Professor of Dynamical Meteorology and Physical Oceanography at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, author of almost 70 peer-reviewed studies, explains how many of his fellow scientists have been intimidated:

“Many of my colleagues with whom I spoke share these views and report on their inability to publish their skepticism in the scientific or public media,” Paldor wrote. [Note: See also July 2007 Senate report detailing how skeptical scientists have faced threats and intimidation ]

//
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Re: U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warmin

The Science Channel had a program on today about Global Warming that happened over Ten Million years ago, was Bush, Plastic, Suv's and Neo Cons around then, is this our second time around.

According to The Bellowing Boob Nobel Prize Winner Gore if we could completely destroy America and make it vanish from the earth there would be no more Global Warming.

:bricks:
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Re: U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warmin

Damnit, MMGW is decided science. It's fact and we all know it.

Or not.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Inhofe is the anti-global warming equivalent of Al Gore. He has as much credibility in global warming circles as Gore has in global warming skeptic circles. Of course, 400 scientists is a meaningless number without knowing the total number of scientists who have positions on global warming.

The report apparently came out today, so I assume there will be a response from those who believe the human contribution to global warming needs to be curtailed.
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Just for the record I want to say that whether man is significantly responsible for any changes in climate or not -- which, personally, I doubt -- I do believe that mankind needs to get a real grip on the wasting of natural resources, including the pollution of the air, water, and land. Mankind is to be the care-takers of the earth (and beyond), and any time we neglect our duties in front of the creation we do a great disservice to our Creator. We should never pollute or waste precious natural resources.

Fogbuster

//
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Even though I side with the science that supports a human contribution to global warming, I think the bottom line is, What harm is there in trying to develop new technologies and laws that lead to cleaner air? Even if global warming proves to be false, the worst that will happen is that we'll take a step towards protecting our beautiful world. Now, the naysayers claim that cleaning up will cost zillions of dollars and affect our economy, but I haven't seen any proof of that. Imagine if the naysayers objected to the internet. Sure it cost a hell of a lot, but new technologies, especially when backed by law, tend to be quite good for an economy.
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Translation: "These scientists don't support the liberal agenda, so I choose not to believe them. But I will continue to chastise people who choose not to believe my scientists."
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There's little harm in that, except the problem is you moonbats want to do so much more.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There is a big difference between an internet which is not really that expensive, but which definitely DOES make commerce and communication easier than it has ever been, AND some of the radical regulations and demands that I have heard some MMGB claimants make. The part that perks up my Bull Shorts meter is the way the MMGB crowd -- I'm looking right at AlGore now -- make extreme accusations against the U.S., while giving nations like China, India, and Russia a totally free pass. The way it is structured now, the "Global Warming" crowd wants the U.S. to go back to walking, driving horse and buggy, and eating a diet of sushi and other raw foods.

I'm sorry, but sushi is too darned EXPENSIVE to eat three times a day, much as I like it. I also don't care for room temperature coffee. "Be hot or be cold, for I will spit out the lukewarm among you," is what Jesus said. For example.

//
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Come out to CA where we pay something like 30 cents a gallon extra for special gasoline mixes - there's your proof right off the bat buddy. Throw in smog checks and forced mileage regulations. That's just the car. It's also estimated electric bills will go up by more than 50% to adhere to the upcoming requirements of expected energy bills. It goes on and on. Why not take $20 bills and throw them up in the wind ?
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think if it was national, economies of scale would come into play and prices wouldn't be that much more. Also, I think as new technologies are developed to achieve greater efficiency, it would offset the price increases. At any rate, I think it's worth investing in a cleaner environment. It's a quality of life issue for me.
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +246 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I can guarantee you that if we used the gasoline that everyone else did my quality of life would be just as good - in fact it would be better because I'd have more money. Adding "taxes" for no benefit does not increase quality of life.
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

BTW Hansen who runs realclimate is also biased. He is the guy who got the hockey stick wrong due to his lack of knowledge of stastical analysis. He was also responsible for the erronious data associated with Y2K errors, that artifically raised temps.

While Imhofe is a doubter of anthropmorphic GW, he is merely reporting the objections raised by scientist independent of his role in the Senate.
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I was watching this program and they were showing this beach in Hawaii which was totally made up of particles of plastic. Evidently, the currents gather plastic from other areas and it ends up on this beach (we are talking massive amounts). Its so bad, that all the jelly fish in the area are composed of 50% plastic and that causes lots of deaths to whatever feeds off those fish. Its been a while since I saw the program but was stunned at the time with what they presented.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Well said and I agree 100%
    Now... back to the idiotic "Global Warming" distraction so that the polluters can get away with murder (literally) while we try to figure out why it's hot or cold, wet or dry. Meanwhile, the oceans are a dumping ground and every body of water in China is filled with acid.

Keep it up, fools.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

He did?
    That's cool!...and very radical in this society of middle-of-the-road "moderates" and "centrists". That's why I like Kucinich and Paul so much. Eliminate the IRS? HELL YEAH!
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Patters, currently all the alternatives to traditional fossil fuel give somebody a cost-drain. If we subsidize and move out of fossil-fuel only now, we get hit with more expensive energy sources. If we wait until the natural market dynamic kicks in, it's a matter of time, and a period during which we can't produce what we need.

One example is ethanol based fuel, typically with 10-15% gasoline for taste. You get about 2/3 the miles per gallon out of ethanol, and its cost doesn't compete well. Do we subsidize it? It seems like we're headed that way. Of course, the anti-hunger activists are having, well, a cow.

Hydrogen is a great way to expend energy to produce the fuel, then get energy from the fuel. The net budget's pretty bad. But what hydrogen and electric vehicles can do for us is allow our stationary energy to be used in portable form. That's great, as long as our stationary energy production is sustainable. Alas, if based on coal, it is not. And we're back to square 1.

I hate saying it, but right now, it looks more and more like the nuke plants have to come back on line. To me, it seems like we'll need to get past that technology, but once we're using the nukes again and dependent on them, I somehow doubt we'll feel any urgency about solar energy or other competing technologies.

Pity, that. Eh well... I have no kids of my own, just the wife's. And they're not living in the house asking those embarassing "daddy, will there be cars when I grow up?" questions.

PFnV
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Whether or not MMGW is the effect of our wasteful use of energy resources will be proven.. this may not be proven for 100 or 200 years, but in the interim there is a need to stop being so wasteful in this capitalist society.. what always make me think is, What if we are all wrong and if we did things differently that this democracy could be preserved and we could be weaned from the addiction of cheap Mideast fuel??

When we are sitting in the rocking chair on the porch of some nursing home and it is finally proven that if we did this than this would have happened, just more stuff to ponder and think about what could have been.
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The geo-political pressure point right now is that China is the fastest growing economy in the world, by far. It does this because all business operations in China are strategically planned and guided by the government's national policy, which is to establish world hegemony. They want to conquer the world economically, not with bombs or bullets, which is far too dangerous anymore, with the advent of the nuclear age. By economics the still communist Chinese government wants to dominate the entire world.

So, if the U.S. and the West agree to the massive changes in energy production and usage that the "green" treaties are calling for, the U.S. and West will be reducing their economic capacity at the same time that China is ever-increasing her's. Such a world policy ONLY favors China, while actually penalizing the U.S. and West. This is why the U.S. has balked at such treaties.

If China and India and Russia would all agree to keep faith themselves with these treaties to clean up the environment, the U.S. would be happy to do so, too. As it stands now, however, China, Russia, and India are all demanding exemption from things like "cleaner air, water, and land" because they say they "need" more chance to "develop" (by using old, dirty methods). Result is virtually all rivers in China are polluted to the point of becoming cancer-producing streams, and the air quality in places like Peking, Moscow, Delhi, Mumbai, and Shanghai is far worse than that of Los Angeles 25 years ago, extremely poor.

//
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

So is Gore, who by some counts has at least 3,000 scientists behind his views. (Wonder if Inhofe has any investments in companies that pollute?)

My argument is not with the scientists, who on both sides I figure are simply trying to do their jobs. As I've said in the past, for the layman, you have to go with the preponderance of evidence and thought and, at least at this point in time, there appear to be far more scientists who support some variant of Gore's position than who support some variant of Inhofe's position. Both sides make some good points, but what I've read has effectively debunked some of criticisms of global warming theories, though some of it does get awfully technical.