Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Aug 29, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic..._US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true
    ---
    interesting...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

yeah,so. Ah thats been a fact for about oh.........40 years,or more.:rolleyes:
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

We have gun laws that we won't enforce because it means "offending" the criminal and we have a strange habit in this country of PROTECTING and SLOBBERING over killers and gun carrying bad guys (the rights thing again)

I saw this early in life so I bought 3 guns, I have a 22 pistol, a 38 revolver and a shotgun, if the bad guys are allowed to have guns than the good guys should have them also, if not, then the bad guy wins.

If our screwy government could find a way or had the balls to make it impossible for the baggy pant swaggering scum bag gang banger to have a gun then I would gladly get rid of mine, until then the good guy had better protect himself.

The little weasle Dukakis said "get rid of your gun and let the Police protect you" many Police Chief's will also say this, well, don't try it, if some scum is climbing through your window and you call the police instead of shooting him by the time the police get there your wife will have been raped and you and your dog are both dead.
    The Police Arrive When It's All Over
    A MANS HOME IS HIS CASTLE PROTECT IT WELL
    :bricks:
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Agreed - from a rare pro gun control Republican (me). Life with no chance of parole in some underground dungeon of a prison would end criminals with guns fairly quickly.

Regardless, stats show a gun owner is more likely to accidentally shoot a family member/friend than an invading intruder. Of course that stat doesn't help if your family gets shot but I'll never own a gun. Maybe I would if I lived in an unsafe area (although our city that used to be 100% safe has had more crap moving in - I guess they have to go somewhere).
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Someone was calling for more gun laws. There are so many now its a mess. If the ones on the books were enforced there wouldn't be a need for any more. On the other hand I believe the average gun owner is a law abiding citizen,so many of the guns used for crime would have to be stolen. The problem is I don't think that there are THAT many stolen guns. So somebody is SELLING these people their weapons illegaly.
  6. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

You are a very wise man my friend. There are so many laws for so many things, yet, when some Einstien gets elected and there's an incident, like a shooting or a kid is raped, they get up on a soapbox and pass 12 new laws. What good are laws if you don't enforce them? Didn't they pass a 1 year mandatory for anyone that was caught with a gun illegally? Do those people even go to jail? Last time I checked, Sebastian Telfair wasn't in jail for a year, so me thinks not. Whether it's guns, illegals, rapists, or thieves, enforce the law and we'd all be better off.
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

RW Like many NEW laws they went overboard enforcing it. I remember someone getting a year for having a bb gun without an fid card in Westfield the first year the law was enacted. I don't remember if he ever served the time though.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

When Freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free... tom robbins..