Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes - ABC News

Coded references to New Testament Bible passages about Jesus Christ are inscribed on high-powered rifle sights provided to the United States military by a Michigan company, an ABC News investigation has found.

The sights are used by U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the training of Iraqi and Afghan soldiers. The maker of the sights, Trijicon, has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army.

U.S. military rules specifically prohibit the proselytizing of any religion in Iraq or Afghanistan and were drawn up in order to prevent criticism that the U.S. was embarked on a religious "Crusade" in its war against al Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents.

One of the citations on the gun sights, 2COR4:6, is an apparent reference to Second Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads: "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Other references include citations from the books of Revelation, Matthew and John dealing with Jesus as "the light of the world." John 8:12, referred to on the gun sights as JN8:12, reads, "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Trijicon confirmed to ABCNews.com that it adds the biblical codes to the sights sold to the U.S. military. Tom Munson, director of sales and marketing for Trijicon, which is based in Wixom, Michigan, said the inscriptions "have always been there" and said there was nothing wrong or illegal with adding them. Munson said the issue was being raised by a group that is "not Christian." The company has said the practice began under its founder, Glyn Bindon, a devout Christian from South Africa who was killed in a 2003 plane crash.

Read more at the link
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

I'm absolutely fine with these codes on the sites. They're not obvious religious inscriptions and need to be interprated in order to understand them, so why all the fuss?

If I owned a company that supplied weapons to our soldiers, I too might slip something spiritual on them to bless our soldiers. After all, it is only the safety of our soldiers that matter here, not what foreigners might think. We're sending over our young men & women to help them and I don't care one bit if anything offends Afghanis or Iraqi's.

Of course they wouldn't be aware of anything until ABC news told them. What does that say about ABC news?
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

This is OT but
    http://www.newsreview.com/chico/content?oid=10876.
    a Navy dentist inscribed the words "Remember Pearl Harbor" in morse code in dentures he made for Gen. Tojo while the Japanese premier was in custody after WW2.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

Great story PFinPhilly!
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

If you violate the rules of Government Contracting, you should loose the contract pure and simple... not a lot of grey area here, to enable and excuse a company under the guise of religion or other reason is not expected. The reality is that not everyone in the US Military is christian, and some who are will take exception...

If you sign a contract to provide military equipment, you are expected to fulfill all apects of the contract in accordance with the rules... if the Koran was encoded the outcry would be very loud and clear.. if another religion was encoded that outcry would be similar... we are not all christians.
  6. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

But the rule in question is specific to proselytizing. Encoding some words on military equipment is definately not proselytizing. So I don't see what rule was broken.
  7. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

For starters, not all US soldiers are Christians?
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 3 / -10

If I wanted to bless you Jack, I'd do it my way, not yours. That is how one blesses another anywhere in the world.

If you are Muslim and you bless me in the Muslim way, I'd be grateful.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Seems pretty stupid on the part of the manufacturer. But then again, it appears they've been doing this for 20+ years, so it is what it is.
  10. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hmm something that enables someone to kill with more precision, yeah that really sounds like something Jesus would want to be associated with. :rolleyes:
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Praise Allah Death To The Great Satan America
  12. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

If it was a quote from the koran, would your principal still be valid.. this is simple, there are expectations of contractors and when you violate them you should loose the contract or be fined for the breach of contract.. demand excellence and follow the rules of contracting, the problem is that most defense contractors feel as though they are exempt from oversight and cumbersome rules...
  15. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Truthfully, I could care less one way or another. My point is that the contractors violated no rule(s). Proselytizing this is not.

If they broke any rules or laws, please let me know which.
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

This will come down as a constitutional issue, and hopefully the separation of church and state will be clarified...

You may say that there were no rules violated, but there will be a need to clarify rules in the future, as if this is let go.. there are a whole range of possibilities that can ensue... you can open a MRE and there will be a prayer card enclosed, a christian cross can be etched on the inside of a helmet.. or little St. Christophers can be sewn in the neckline of camo's... the possibilities are endless..

You did not answer the question of what would happen if there was a verse from the koran on the scopes???
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

So what rule(s) was broken?
  18. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

As I said, I could care less. It could have verses from Blazing Saddles as far as I'm concerned. The verses were encoded so it's not likey they were written in legible English.
  19. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

A few months ago the military was reportedly handing out Bibles and talking about Christianity. DemocracyNow ran it as well as quite a few other sites. I'm too lazy to check archives for links but after a short stint in the news the story just sort of disappeared.

I remember thinking it seemed like a strange thing for the military to be doing, spreading religion like a bunch of Hari Krishnas:cool: but the rifle thing is weird. Not because the script is from any particular religious source but it just seems like a weird thing to be doing,:confused: This is interesting tho:

20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

The Marine Corps are concerned... these are the codes used..JN8:12, 2COR4:6.. these are not codes, duh

Bible verses on rifle scopes prompt concern - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times