Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. has worst healthcare in industrialized nations.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jan 9, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

WASHINGTON, Jan 8 (Reuters) - France, Japan and Australia rated best and the United States worst in new rankings focusing on preventable deaths due to treatable conditions in 19 leading industrialized nations, researchers said on Tuesday.

If the U.S. health care system performed as well as those of those top three countries, there would be 101,000 fewer deaths in the United States per year, according to researchers writing in the journal Health Affairs.

Researchers Ellen Nolte and Martin McKee of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine tracked deaths that they deemed could have been prevented by access to timely and effective health care, and ranked nations on how they did.

They called such deaths an important way to gauge the performance of a country's health care system.

Nolte said the large number of Americans who lack any type of health insurance -- about 47 million people in a country of about 300 million, according to U.S. government estimates -- probably was a key factor in the poor showing of the United States compared to other industrialized nations in the study.

Full Story:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN07651650?rpc=92

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

The title you put up is incredibley misleading, and inaccurate. The article is talking about preventative deaths, and not healthcare itself. The US has the best health care in the world. The systems problem is populatory access to it. Those are two very different things.

3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You'll be shocked, I'm sure, to hear that Wes is just reiterating how the MSM is reporting it. Why would they EVER do that??

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

The headline to the article says preventable death ranking. Soon we'll get someone in here to type some hysteria about how the US healthcare system is the worst in the world. Watch, it's coming. :D

5. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I think the 101,000 citizen that die in the United States every year agree with you , it is misleading.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

People in this country don't take care of themselves wes. We're the fattest country in the world, and access to medical coverage has nothing to do with that. Look at the criteria for preventable deaths. It's anyone who dies before 75. No one is denied care in this country. People always forget that. The system is flawed and needs correction, but the headline is completely inaccurate & false. Care is not the problem, access is.

7. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Good point.

Now , if Mgh Hospital has the latest machines and top notch doctors , what am i benefiting from it if i am part of the 47 millions that will get rejected for premium cares ?
    Hey , i am talking about expensive cares , not about a cold/Flu treatment.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

That's what this guy likes to do. He slaps us misleading subjects and hopes for the best. This has nothing to do with "worst healthcare". If I shot myself that's preventable. Drug overdose. Too many Big Macs. Take your pick. We may lead in preventable deaths but it's surely not because of having the worst healthcare.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

If you feel sick, all you have to do is go to the ER like all the illegals do. You won't be refused, and you won't have to pay. If the doctor at the ER feels you need further examination or coverage, you'll get it. It's obviously not ideal, but it's there. People tend to listen to everything they hear and read and take it as gospel. The important thing to know about issues we face is the truth. The system needs some fixing, and I'm not sure what the best path is to do that, but care is there for people who need it.

Here's an example, I had a medical issue that I thought needed some attention less than two weeks ago. My BCBS policy just went up to $550 a month for me, a 33 year old single male. So when I went to the MGH here in Chelsea, I told them my problem, and they gave me an appointment for a month later. When I explained that the problem kind of needed a more immediate evaluation, the woman told me to go to the ER, cuz a month from now was the best she could do. So I went to the ER, with all the illegals and people who have no coverage, or were like me, had insurance and couldn't get an appointment to see their doctor, and got evaluated.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

Understand your anger, my experience with ER's is not as much to do with people from different countries, but homeless people who either do not or are not able to care for themselves.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

I wasn't angry that I had to go to the ER, or that people use the ER. I was annoyed at how paying $550 a month for insurance was almost meaningless when I needed to see a doctor. In the end, all the $550 per got me, was the same service someone who pays $0 per month recieved. You'd think all that money would at least get me an immediate appointment with my/a doctor. Well, it didn't.

12. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Michael Moore cut this scene from Sicko because no one would believe it.
    The Worlds Best Country to live in (video)
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b5d_1195670526

Norway .... is it some far distant planet ?

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

What literal diarea that loser spews. If that country is so great, why don't you & Mike move there? I wonder what their obesity rate is. I wonder where they rank in welfare hand outs. I know their schools are better, so I wonder what their out of wedlock rate is.

14. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You're right, few people would believe it (or at least shouldn't without doing their own research) and with good reason. Moore has an agenda and to take anything at face value from him is foolish.

15. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

No , my voice and others will make the necessary changes to get back on the right track.I don't need to move there , i am just showing you what s going on in the world.

Norway :The country that's got it all - but is still saving for tomorrow ( 2006 article)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/may/20/moneysupplement2

16. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

What's that sound....oh it's your credibility hitting rock bottom

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +915 / 7 / -3

And what changes are those wes?

18. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yeah, remember his last movie, where he suggested that the president led our country to war on false pretenses? Utter nonsense. You can pretty much ignore Michael Moore for that fact alone.

19. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

are you actually trying to argue that his movies are factual?

20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Speaking of incredibly misleading, your claim that the US has the best health care in the world is not true, and in fact you provided no evidence at all. You don't even say what you mean by best health care. In fact, in studies I've read we rank rather low. For instance:

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

Now, you seem to be saying is that in the US you can buy the best health care. That's possible, but even that's not true in every category. Every country has its own specializations and approaches to medicine. If you face a serious illness, you may well find drugs or procedures available in other countries that are not available here. For instance, I've read articles that some wealthy people go to France for certain cancers and the Scandinavians in my opinion offer far better physical therapy than is available here.