Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Has Oil Field Larger Than Iraq's

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Feb 22, 2009.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Is this liquid oil or oil shale ? And is it close enough to the surface to be easily accesible ? Sorry, it's a real long article and I didn't have time to plow through it. If it's for real and Obama goes after it, I'll turn my support to him in a second.
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

The tricky Zionists with their time-travel technology buried it deep, from a few thousand feet underground to over 10,000.

And yes, the tricky Zionists locked all the oil up in shale. That was probably AIPAC's work. Or maybe Dershowitz. Diabolical I tell you.

Your problem isn't PNAC or AIPAC, it's extraction technology. Guess what? This horrid, Israel-loving Jewish Zionist for one, would absolutely love to get at this resource. I've also quite unambiguously championed the exploration of alternative energy portability, primarily in the form of electric power (though I am open minded to natural gas, or whatever else pushes your pistons.) I don't WANT America dependent on Mideast oil. I doubt very seriously that Israel does either.

But we both know that's not what your constant diversions toward Israel are about. In counseling, they'd probably be able to find something that triggered these emotions, Mav, and I think it would benefit you to at least explore this avenue.

PFnV
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It is as accessible as any other field if we devote enough resources and political attention to it.

It certainly is a lot cheaper than spending the 1+ trillion it took to invade and occupy Iraq.
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

From October '08:

Oil price bottom will likely be based on shale extraction cost

Obviously, the first barrel will cost more than the first billion barrels, etc. And in the first billion barrels, we're looking at an expected cost of 70-95 bucks. With the collapse of world demand, this looks like an idea whose time has not yet come.

Am I okay w/the government devoting resources to bridge this gap? Sure. I'd prefer to get off the oil standard altogether though. I'm not sure I want to commit to fossil fuels given sustainable energy alternatives; it is, however, nice to know that the $70-95 a barrel range (prior to wholesaling) is absolutely doable now, from the point of view of energy independence.

PFnV
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Me too, but he won't.
  7. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Some aggressive estimates put the Bakken Oil reserves at about 167 billion barrels. The Green River Basin Oil Shale is being estimated at over 1.5 trillion barrels.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

From what i remember it was actually oil as in the liquid variety.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

It's there, it's just a total ***** to get to. Hard layers of rock, inconsistent pooling, and a not yet cheap enough extraction technology weaken it's attractiveness. Plus, do you think the environazi, behavior control police are going to let you drill for US oil? Hell no.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

167 billion??? Where the hell did you get that number? 3.65 billion barrels is the mean estimate according to the latest USGS report...but what do they know?
    USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)

And the recoverable oil shale in the Green River Basin is 750 billion barrels - not twice that. Problem there is that the deposits are interconnected with an aquifer that provides drinking water for Western Colorado. When the shale oil is heated and the oil is liquified, there is a high probability the aquifer will be contaminated. All fine and good as long as you don't live in Western Colorado.
    Green River Oil Shale Formation - Green River Shale Map
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"environazi"? Do you have any idea what the hazards are involved with cooking oil out of rocks? This isn't like drilling a hole and getting a gusher of liquid oil.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I'm not speaking to the specifics of extracting from shale. I'm speaking to the people who run an air polluting, 20 ton diesel tug boat across 300 miles of ocean, to protest some tuna fishers who might snag some dolphins in their nets, or the people who fly a private jet across the globe, to talk about saving the planet from combustion engines. You know, environazi's. Those would be the absolute extremists who's brain is incapable of even a nano-second of rational thought. My mention of them isn't a statement about how clean and safe drilling in the Bakken field would be. If it were as easy as digging a hole with a shovel from Home Depot, and bucketing the slop straight into your car, an "environazi" would still drive his 1968 tie-dyed VW across the country to protest it. Catch my drift?
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, man...I can dig it!
  14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9