Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Economy grows 0.9 percent

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, May 29, 2008.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

While not great, this is certainly better news than a negative growth. Still tough economic times, but I guess that official recession is still nine months off at least...

Not that this will stop certain people in the media/politics from intimating that we are, of course, in a recession already.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy;_ylt=Asr.KAySsfnXEkbfw4_nveCs0NUE

WASHINGTON - The economy logged slightly better — but weak — growth in the first quarter, spurred by improved sales of U.S. products overseas. While that's heartening, the country is still far from being out of the woods.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In fact, a closer look behind the 0.9 percent increase in the gross domestic product during the January-to-March period revealed much caution on the part of consumers who have been clobbered by the housing, credit and financial debacles.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Woah there buddy - the economy is receding (you know, the already declared recession).

3. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

So I've heard - despite the actual definition of recession not being met yet.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +738 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Thus the new phrase "it feels like a recession".

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

If you want pain wait and see what things will be like when we get a jimmah carter II economy under obamassiah.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

I was going to start a thread with this earlier. The headline was going to read something like:

"Economic growth 50% higher than originally calculated"

Or..

"First quarter GDP grew 50% more than reported"

Numbers can always be described in more favorable, or negative ways. :D Still though, any increase is a positive.

7. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You'd think so, but not while Bush is in office. I'm not a fan of his, but there are some who would love to see the country tank just so they can scream and point fingers at the man. Bush Derangement Syndrome, though I think it's an annoying cutesy phrase that radio talk show hosts coined, is very real.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

It absolutely is. My brother had the same with Clinton. He was always trashing anything the man said or did. It reminds of a yahoo fan. Someone who thinks Peyton Manning "sucks" persay. We might love our Pats and Tom Brady, and I might dislike Manning in pressure situations versus Brady, but PM is one of the greatest of alltime, hands down. Yahoo's, or BDS'ers, won't ever acknowledge a single positive about either person. Of course, the best part about it all, is that when you're simply being objective, you're called a 27%'er, or a loyalist. LOL.