Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. Economy Grew at 5.9 Percent Pace Last Quarter

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

U.S. Economy Grew at 5.9 Percent Pace Last Quarter (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

The U.S. economy expanded at a 5.9 percent annual rate in the fourth quarter, more than the government reported last month, reflecting stronger business investment and a greater contribution from inventories.

The rise in gross domestic product, which exceeded the median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News, marked the best performance in more than six years, the Commerce Department said today in Washington.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

So were you all excited last time we had a big jump ? :

Don't get used to it :

And the headline number isn't always what it seems :

News Headlines

The bottom line, the economy won't really grow until the bozo in chief stops destroying jobs.

And one more thing :

Recession might be coming :

News Headlines

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Can't handle the truth, huh ?

Again - without jobs the economy won't grow over time.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

This is as big as LIE as saying the unemployment rate is going down! c'mon Patters, do you actually believe this stuff?

The economy and our country stand on the precipice of collapse and you're trying to talk "Sunny days are here again"?:rolleyes:

Here is my counter point;

U.S. Economy: New-Home Sales Decline to Record Low (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

U.S. Economy: Confidence Falls to Lowest Since April (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

U.S. Economy: Equipment Demand Slows to Start 2010 (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Without jobs, all this happy talk about the impending recovery, and all of Bernanke's yapping about low rates, will not satisfy the market. It is going to take both jobs and an increase in consumer spending to lift the economy.

What many Americans are blind to is the fact our gov't WANTS Americans to believe things are getting better so people will start spending. Do you think that's acceptable? I don't.

They want Americans to do their part in helping the economy by once again opening their wallets and SPEND. I don't believe anyone should do that to help the economy. I think people should be responsible to themselves only when it comes to finances.

And the fact is, Americans are up to their eyeballs in debt. And if & when they start to climb out, they will NOT spend recklessly again for decades. Just like what happened after the depression. Personally, I don't see sustained full-employment recovery for another 3-5 years....I hope I'm wrong.

Let me know when the recovery starts....better yet, I better let you know.:rolleyes:

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think the economy is still struggling. After all, we're battling the worst crisis since the 1930s. That said, however, Obama's approach seems so far to be more effective at ameliorating the effects of the crisis than Reagan's more conservative approach to a lesser crisis. I don't deny that the world economy is in rough shape, but for me the bottom line how people fare, and Obama's somewhat liberal policies seem to be effective at protecting many of those who would typically be most hurt by such a crisis.
  7. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

Some people are just itching for the economy to do badly because it reflects poorly on President Obama.

It's pretty pathetic, really.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

His policies aren't putting people back to work in sustainable jobs. All he's doing to help is extend unemployment benefits.

Artificial economic stimuli are what caused this recession. So why continue to artificially inflate it? Let it bottom out. The sooner that happens, the sooner things can turn around.

I say let banks fail. There is a huge crisis approaching with the pending commericial real estate collapse and I'm sure the banks holding these properties will once again be bailed out. Why? Why should Americans bail them out and increase our towering debt even more?

Our system of gov't (not our structure of gov't) isn't failing...it HAS FAILED. And something needs to be done soon to stop the insanity.

Little by little, Americans are going to see the truth. It's very ugly and it's very frightening...but it will come soon.

9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

Once again, spoken like someone who is not at all responsible for the real-life consequences of their actions.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

Jack in all honesty, you don't know diddly about economics. If you want to whistle in the dark and pretend things are gonna be ok, by all means do so. But if only you knew the truth.

You should ask yourself...."Who the phfauk would want the economy to fail?" Because I certainly don't. I have a great job and a very saleable skill set that can allow me to flourish if the economy does well. So of course I want a healthy economy. but I can guarantee you we aren't going down the right path recovery...certainly not the quickest path.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

Do you always speak in generalities or do you have something specific to say?:rolleyes:

Or are you saying you believe in "Save the people even if it means our economy collapses"?

You see, you don't understand that if our economy fails, the people can't be saved....:rolleyes:

No matter what the topic, you see EVERYTHING through liberal glasses. It is impossible for you to see from any other perspective as if you truly believe the world should be viewed from that perspective. Consider please "what if you're wrong?"

I've been a liberal most my life. I hated Reagan & Bush and I voted for Carter, Dukakis, Clinton, Gore & Obama. But at least I've finally asked myself, "what if I was wrong?" Good God, I think I was wrong! :D

12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

Coming from the guy who blithely said we should just "let the banks fail."

You're an economist by trade, aren't you? If so, that's a bit... embarrassing.
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

And what you're advocating is the surest path to an systemic economic collapse.

So you can take the :rolleyes: and shove it.
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

Bend over and I will!:rolleyes::D

Answer me this....

How many banks got bailed out during the Great Depression? Yah, um-hmm...you got it Jack. NONE! And the banking system never came back did it?
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

That's actually not true, and I suspect you know very little about my politics.

It's nice and all that you had an epiphany and woke up one day and decided you didn't like Obama's policies despite the fact they were the same policies he had in his platform during the election. It's also risible to see the GOP going full-on tea party mode, when it was largely their fiscally irresponsibility and profligacy that got us into this mess in the first place.
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

No, we're telling it as we see it.

But . . . truth be told, I am hoping things are sluggish for a while so we can end the disaster that is total Democrat control. Once we get a more even handed Congress then I won't be looking for bad reflections on obama. And I'm not HOPING for bad news but I do cringe at the thought of this fiasco continuing through 2012. We've got to get some balance.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

LOL.

Because the banking system in 2008-09 bears many resemblances to itself only 80 years prior!

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Perhaps we should start a third world war, too!
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +294 / 6 / -5

No, you're not. Because no matter how much evidence is presented to you on a given topic, you will never shift your views because your partisan hatred trumps your rational thought. Your post is proof positive, because I'm sure you had no issue whatsoever with total GOP control during the 2000's, and to date the results have proven to be far more disastrous.

Remember Bush Derangement Syndrome? Time to coin Obama Derangement Syndrome, because you've got it in spades.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I want Republicans to gain seats in November. And I want obama to be successful, I just don't think there's a chance in hell. If he would be what he campaigned as being I would have hope for him. But he is what is is and he isn't what we thought he was.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -9

Why not?:D