Welcome to PatsFans.com

U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Jun 1, 2010.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Good i only hope Holder doesn't pull any punches, and throws the perverbial book at anyone involved no matter how high up the chain of command it goes. they are. IMO it should include negligent homocide for the people who knowingly disregarding the safety test failures..

U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spill - CNN.com
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

My guess they will investigate BP but will ignore the people who issued waivers and allowed the shoddy testing to be put forward.

I hope I am wrong.

BTW they (BP) was working on cutting a pipe to try to make a containment vessel easier to put in place to siphon off oil until the relief well is completed when the announcement was made about the criminal investigation work was stopped.....
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

This should tell all the talking heads that this certainly can't be Obama's Katrina.

Did Bush investigate Mother Nature?

The root cause of this even was certainly neglagence, and It would look as if it was pressure from high level executives that were on the deep sea drilling craft that were to blame for the actual event, along with the regulators, the meth and sex that paved the way for rules and safety to be ignored.

If anything good were to come from this, its a reshaping of our energy policy in a transparent way and a Manhatten project for a clean renewable power source.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Ummmmmm, how bout we focus all our energy on STOPPING THE MFing LEAK FIRST and minimizing the damage to our precious coastal resources and wetlands.

We can't even get that part right so far. Let's focus on the important stuff right now, and while oil is still spewing millions of gallons into our gulf, fingerpointing and deciding who's to blame can wait a bit.

For god sake, there is plenty of time for that crap later. now is the time for action.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

So, Holder is supposed to be down there working on the Junk Shot and Top hats? Not sure how a bunch of laweyers at the justice department will help plug the hole...

I know there is a joke in here about laweyrs and the bottom of the sea etc...
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's not the point. Right now, we (the peoples...... you remember us, right?) are entirely dependent on BP, the administration, and their ability to somehow put their collective minds together to STOP THE VOLCANO OF OIL SPEWING into the gulf at a thousands of gallons an hour.

It does no good to have Justice down there right this minute busting their balls about this right now. They are kinda busy. Sure, quietly put the pieces in place for an appropriate investigation later. But this grandstanding "us vs. them" showdown announcement of "starting a bigtime DOJ investigation is just circle-jerk, political theater.

Now is not the time for that.
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

Or maybe this is precisely the time for it, if it pressures BP to act more aggressively to rectify the situation than it otherwise might.
  8. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I am pretty sure BP wants this thing cleaned up as fast as possible. Motivation to end the spill is not necessary. Every drop of oil that spews out into the gulf cost's BP money. And I am not talking profits off the actual product. More like costs associated with having to pay to clean this whole thing up.
  9. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes I totally agree. Like Patriot_in_NY said I wish they would wait until they stop this spill first.

Because in our minds it kind of like watching a murder in slow motion and the victim has only been stabbed in the arm once and is not dead. Now the DOJ gets involved and investigates before the murder is complete?

If this next attempt doesn't work this spill will continue to august and decimate New Orleans, LA, Texas coast, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and many more coast. The DOJ will not change any of that, and might complicate things.

This does seem like someone in government said" how to we save face and separate ourselves form BP?"

Because how can you prosecute in the middle or beginning of a murder?

this does need to happen thou, Im just not sure this is the right time, I may be wrong
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Imo..... Bfd
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I hate to lay this on you, brutha, but I don't think we'll be seeing anything but oil coming out of that hole until October...and there's no reason to believe that even that date is true and that the relief wells will even connect because of the information source. Everything BP has said so far has been a lie and they can't be trusted for anything right now. Why do we constantly fall into the idiotic trap of "Technology caused this problem...technology will fix it".

We need to kill and gut BP now before they do any more damage and *****-footin around them so they won't leave the repair job will do nothing to stop the leak. Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'.

We need the tanker flotilla down there yesterday! The well will keep pumping and the best we (not BP) can do is to contain as much product as possible from now on.
  12. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This. Then add the Avatar director or whoever he is...I see a Steven Spielberg opportunity looming ever closer. Unbelievable. Color me Alice in Wonderland.
  13. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is America! We don't care about solving problems, we care about pointing fingers and assigning blame.
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Why not ( and I am serious here) call a conference and get the best scientists from across the nation ( MIT, Berkeley, etc) as well as industry and let them come up with ideas. Take the best potential solutions for stopping the oil and try it. considering what is going on now, at least it's worth a shot...........
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  15. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oil drillers went to space to blow up an asteroid, why not have astronauts go under water and stop the oil?
  16. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

We're sharing a brain today PFP! On my way in this morning I was thinking about MIT, WPI or that other well-known engineering school (out in Indiana I think?). I'm just :enranged:
  17. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That too! Spielberg could even film it;) BTW what's up with the military
    US military rejects calls to take control of oil spill - Telegraph
  18. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

19. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Fine I'll take your word for it :D
  20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

But of course, it would have to be an international conference inviting the best minds from around the world and we know how that would end up,as a colossal failure. The Chinese wouldn't want to sit with the Taiwanese, the Arabs would want to blame the whole spill on the Israelis, Europe would try to get everyone to bail them out, North Korea would threaten, Mexico would blame the spill on Arizona's new immigration law,Iran would blame the spill on women wearing low cut dresses(or is that only for earthquakes?) and in the end the oil would continue to flow.
    Sarcasm aside, maybe the President needs to take Bill Maher's approach to BP and give them a 30 day deadline to get the flow stopped or cease to exist as a company. There would be a powerful incentive for them to get creative instead of a defeatist "it will be August" deadline.