Welcome to PatsFans.com

U District needle exchange gives out free crack pipes

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Free crack pipes? :confused:

By VANESSA HO
    SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

For more than 20 years, local heroin addicts have relied on a collection of needle exchanges for clean works. But in recent months, crack users too have quietly found an outlet in the city.

In a nondescript alley in the University District, users can pick up clean crack pipes, pipe filters and ascorbic acid for injecting crack. Heroin users can also pick up a drug that reverses a heroin overdose -- an apparent first for a city needle exchange.

"We take a different philosophy approach than most government institutions or public health departments. They have a budget, and have to pick and choose who they're going to help," said Shilo Murphy, executive director of the non-profit People's Harm Reduction Alliance, which runs the U-District needle exchange.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

At first glance it does not make sense, but seems to be part of a larger strategy of reducing Hepatitis and related diseases..

Every strategy on this Faux War on Drugs sux, but some suck less...

Needle exchange and harm reduction

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

A middle class white guy comes into my drug rehab center where I work. I do his intake. He's very hyper, and probably using right when I'm sitting with him. He telling me all the s!it about his family and his problems, and how he got hooked on crack, lost his job, has to get rid of his cat, and has to move into a shelter. His sister stole money from him and he got into a fight when his brother charged him with a knife. They both ended up spending 2 weeks in jail. Meanwhile the guy has a mother who's dying and a gf who just gave him an STD.

Harm reduction models serve several purposes: reduce the distribution of tainted supplies that might cause the spread of disease, help addicts maintain contact with organizations that are prepared to help them go clean, provides other info so that social services can protect the children of these addicts, teaches addicts to use drugs in a more responsible matter (in a safe, clean place, with safe clean equipment), etc.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

White bastard, they're everywhere today, one of them stole my bike last week.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What really pisses me off is that my tax dollars are going to pay for someone's freaking crack pipe! Why do I have to pay for everyone's pipes on top of paying for my own.

...it's just wrong!
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

That's my point too Wistah. Needles I can see in some cases, since their is a genuine risk of HIV/AIDS transmission, but crack pipes? What's next, are we going to give Alchoholics free booze, cuz they might share a bottle and catch a cold? I'm going to work for what, so some crack addicts can get some cool new pipes? I think that we, as a people, sometimes have our sensibility clouded, by what we think are good intentions. In the end, if these are local funds, then it's up to the locals to determine if they like it or not. Personally, I don't think I'd approve of my money going to pay for free crack pipes.