PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyrone McKenzie drawing rave reviews at TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's getting the most reps with the first team? McKenzie or Spikes?

Roman Phifer played up until he was eligible for social security.

I imagine Guyton is going to be a Patriot for as long as Belichick is going to coach this team.

If Mayo, McKenzie, and Spikes all beast, then BB will:

A. Rotate them
B. Not give many reps to anybody else in their place in sub packages

I don't think the positional salami for them needs to be sliced finer than that.

I wouldn't expect to see all three on the field at once except in very specific situations (e.g., goal-line packages, where open-field speed doesn't matter as much, but quickness to the play matters more than ever).

Roman Phifer played up until he was eligible for social security.

I imagine Guyton is going to be a Patriot for as long as Belichick is going to coach this team.

Roman Phifer played very well in the twighlight of his career. If in 12 years Guyton is the player that Phifer was at that age, I sure hope he's still a Pat.

Roman Phifer played very well in the twighlight of his career. If in 12 years Guyton is the player that Phifer was at that age, I sure hope he's still a Pat.

A good analogy considering that Phifer was a bit lightweight and really not anything outstanding early in his career.

We won a superbowl in 2001 with mostly retread players. We had a T-E-A-M.

I think we are hard on Guyton because we depended too much on him early in his career. I think he will have a good career and if he doesn't start it will add to his longevity.

I was highly impressed with the comment by a reader in that website:

Tyrone was an incredible player at USF and a good role model. I had a few economics classes with him and was amazed when I learned that he transferred to USF to support his mother, who was injured in a car accident. He supported her by working nights at a hotel while playing football and having a "real" major.

Hats off for this kind of maturity, dedication, talent and intelligence!

:rocker:

Thanks to the reader, Dave W for sharing this.

A good analogy considering that Phifer was a bit lightweight and really not anything outstanding early in his career.

We won a superbowl in 2001 with mostly retread players. We had a T-E-A-M.

I think we are hard on Guyton because we depended too much on him early in his career. I think he will have a good career and if he doesn't start it will add to his longevity.

Phifer? Lightweight? RP was a MUCH better pro early in his career than Guyton is now. Check out his numbers with the Rams. After his 1st year, he was pretty much a 100 tackle, 2-6 sack, 1-2 INT player.

34 MLBs played 60% of the snaps and Guyton was 30th in stops and last in coverage. Hes not great in prime time. Fine for spot duty.

Hes intelligent and knows the defense. I'm glad he is on the team. So is BB- but not as a prime time player.

He's a liability against the run, I agree. We're better served with a rotation so we can get some thumpers in on running downs.

Where are you getting those stats? If you say PFF I'm going to blow a gasket.

Last edited:
Dave W said...
Tyrone was an incredible player at USF and a good role model. I had a few economics classes with him and was amazed when I learned that he transferred to USF to support his mother, who was injured in a car accident. He supported her by working nights at a hotel while playing football and having a "real" major.

Hats off for this kind of maturity, dedication, talent and intelligence!

This. No matter what the guy does on the field(and I think he's going to be very good) he's a man off of it for taking responsibility of his family and supporting them.

This. No matter what the guy does on the field(and I think he's going to be very good) he's a man off of it for taking responsibility of his family and supporting them.

Well said. That sort of person seems to be a rare commodity in the NFL these days.

Phifer? Lightweight? RP was a MUCH better pro early in his career than Guyton is now. Check out his numbers with the Rams. After his 1st year, he was pretty much a 100 tackle, 2-6 sack, 1-2 INT player.

Phifer was not much difference in weight than guyton, maybe 5 pounds extra. I did not follow phifer's career before the pats, hated the rams, so I missed his glory days.

Last edited:
exactly...

I would imagine you could count on one hand the # of times an OLB covers a TE man to man in a season for us.
The coverage responsibility of an OLB in our system is typically a short zone in the flat. How fast you run 40 yards isnt a very good measure of the skills required for that.

Phifer was not much difference in weight than guyton, maybe 5 pounds extra. I did not follow phifer's career before the pats, hated the rams, so I missed his glory days.

Agreed on height, but Roman played slightly above 250 w/ the Pats ( I know everything says 248 but he was actually closer to 252ish.

Point is that he played with much more power than GG.

Agreed on height, but Roman played slightly above 250 w/ the Pats ( I know everything says 248 but he was actually closer to 252ish.

Point is that he played with much more power than GG.

I am really curious. How would you know whether Phifer weighed 248 lbs or 252?

I would imagine you could count on one hand the # of times an OLB covers a TE man to man in a season for us.
The coverage responsibility of an OLB in our system is typically a short zone in the flat. How fast you run 40 yards isnt a very good measure of the skills required for that.

Not really concerned with his 40....however he would also have to cover RB's out of the flat as well.

I just feel he's best suited for the inside.

IMO, TMc is the best hope for a replacement for T Johnson we've had in a while. Shooting gaps and planting RB's was his specialty before his injuries started piling up. Hope he plants Maroney every chance he gets.

I too believe that Spikes is an ILB and is not suited for OLB. However, I do not believe that he is too slow to cover receivers.

Not really concerned with his 40....however he would also have to cover RB's out of the flat as well.

I just feel he's best suited for the inside.

I think he is an ILB too, but again 40 times dont mean much about whether you can cover in the flat.
Typically one OLB and one ILB are covering the flats, since one OLB is the 4th rusher, so he will be doing it from ILB too.
The real concern with speed would be pursuit. The thing is that te split second it takes between the fastest and the slowest ILBs to cover 20 yards of pursuit is less of a difference than whether or not you make the right read, react quickly or slowly and take the correct angle.
If Spikes has the brain of a top LB his speed is not an issue.
What do you think Ray Lewis would clock in a 40 these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back