PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyrann Mathieu aka Honey Badger to the Patriots?

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I am sure most of you seem the Honey Badger interview
On the NFL network.

He talked about the Patriots being his toughest interview at the combine.
This could have been a smoke show, but I am hoping they have interest
In drafting Mathieu.

The kid is just what we need on defense..
He is a playmaker.... I watched a lot of LSU
games over the years & this kid always seemed to make a big
Play at the most important of times. He was incredible at
Forcing fumbles & he was even a great blitz rusher.
He was also a great punt returner.

Our defense has lacked playmakers since we lost
Bruschi, Vrable, Harrison & Samual.

If we are going to draft a DB, I want it to be the
Honey Badger.

Yeah, it could be BB throwing him a bone. Who knows tho. Smoke and mirrors and all.

Here's the link to the video on NFL Network:
LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu discusses 2013 NFL Draft - NFL Videos

How high would they have him on their board? He's obviously going to have the marijuana flag, and also a flag for not playing last year, and that flag would probably eliminate him from the first two rounds. If they trade for Sanders, and lose their 3rd round pick, would they realistically take him in the second round, if he's available?

We already signed a nickel CB, dont think we need another one.

Good pickup in 7 the or udfa.

I don't see him being anything special in the NFL.

We already signed a nickel CB, dont think we need another one.

We could always use competition in the secondary. Mathieu is a lot more physical a corner than Arrington. If he's available in the lower rounds (LOL at the mock that had him going in the 1st), I would take a shot at him. This defense needs some more physicality. Mathieu would provide that, beating up on slot receivers.

We could always use competition in the secondary. Mathieu is a lot more physical a corner than Arrington. If he's available in the lower rounds (LOL at the mock that had him going in the 1st), I would take a shot at him. This defense needs some more physicality. Mathieu would provide that, beating up on slot receivers.

I like Mathieu and he looked really good at the combine but I think he is going a lot earlier than I'd like. He does worry me behavior wise so taking him in the 2nd or 3rd for me is out of the question. Guy has got some play making skills which I can see is the big allure for fans and teams.

Leon McFadden has been mentioned a lot around here by some. Smallish 5'10 but brings a skill set that seems to fit with this team. I think he could play both slot and cb which makes him versatile depth for both Arrington and Talib-Dennard. Just a thought.

I like Mathieu and he looked really good at the combine but I think he is going a lot earlier than I'd like. He does worry me behavior wise so taking him in the 2nd or 3rd for me is out of the question. Guy has got some play making skills which I can see is the big allure for fans and teams.

Leon McFadden has been mentioned a lot around here by some. Smallish 5'10 but brings a skill set that seems to fit with this team. I think he could play both slot and cb which makes him versatile depth for both Arrington and Talib-Dennard. Just a thought.

I like McFadden as well. But my motto for the defense since the offseason began is "physicality". We've started in that direction with Wilson. We have a physical corner in Dennard. I would like one more in the secondary, and Mathieu is the most phyisical nickel CB in the draft.

I love Honey Badger - I even have a "Honey Badger Don't Give a ****" hoodie. Just not sure where we'd play him with Arrington re-signed and them both seemingly better in the slot. I have wondered about HB as a (admittedly very small) Free Safety with his playmaking ability. Regardless, no clue how he'd fit for us (as he's just so short) but I like playmakers and he is a playmaker.

It's also possible that he's off their draft board, and they're just trying to bait some team into overdrafting him.

After all, that's basically what they did with Pat White and, possibly, Tim Tebow.

I love him, I have to be honest. I think he has a nose for making plays, whether they be on the ball or special teams. I would be happy with him in the 3rd round. A gamble yes, but a gamble I'd be happy with. I want to accumulate playmakers on defense.

I love Honey Badger - I even have a "Honey Badger Don't Give a ****" hoodie. Just not sure where we'd play him with Arrington re-signed and them both seemingly better in the slot. I have wondered about HB as a (admittedly very small) Free Safety with his playmaking ability. Regardless, no clue how he'd fit for us (as he's just so short) but I like playmakers and he is a playmaker.

In the beginning he could return Punts (not sure if he is also a KO returner) and be a backup corner. That's probably more than we'll ever get from Mallet or Bequette.

The guy is so freakin dynamic..just get him a uniform!

I wouldn't even use a 7th on him.

I have been meaning to ask why. Is there a reasonable expectation today that there would be someone in the draft of more value in the 7th round than Mathieu?

This is a guy who would be a killer special teamer right away, and who can return punts when he isn't covering kicks (it's nice to have a few guys with return skills in the event of injury). He'd be a 7th rounder with a very good shot at making the team.

I know he smoked a plant, and I know people like to believe that choirboys win games. The Ravens and Giants have spent the last few years proving that untrue. Mathieu made some youthful mistakes, but I have never heard that he is a bad person. Janoris Jenkins had way more red flags and I would have taken him gladly as well.

Talib yes, Mathieu no? I can not see why, unless you feel Mathieu simply isn't an NFL player. In Round 7 I am sprinting my pick in if I'm the Pats.

I wouldn't even use a 7th on him.

I would rather see the Patriots draft a troubled player like Mathieu in a late round than waste picks on players like Ebner and Williams. Neither of
these players was a defensive starter and Ebner only played a few plays on defense at OSU.

We had Tyrann Mathieu on the team for 1.5 years, BB cut him. A 5'9 CB that has a hell of an instinct for making plays but just can't cover worth a damn.

Mathieu=Sterling Moore. Pass. He'll get ripped apart in coverage in the pros.

We had Tyrann Mathieu on the team for 1.5 years, BB cut him. A 5'9 CB that has a hell of an instinct for making plays but just can't cover worth a damn.

Mathieu=Sterling Moore. Pass. He'll get ripped apart in coverage in the pros.

Basing this on what? That they are both 5'8-5'9? How many LSU games did you watch to make this conclusion? He nailed his combine and according to many scouts did excellent in drills at his pro day. Which games were these that he couldn't cover worth a damn you speak of?

Your comparing a possible 1-3 round talent to an undrafted rookie out of Southern Methodist. One won the Chuck Bednarik Award for best defensive player in all of college football. 17 passes defensed, 5 forced fumbles,4 fumble recoveries 2 which were returned for TD's and 2 interceptions and lets add 77 tackles to that. All in one season. Enlighten me. Just be fair about it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back