Welcome to PatsFans.com

Typical white person

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInEaglesLand, Mar 20, 2008.

1. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You must be racist for pointing this out.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A few days ago he said his grandmother was afraid of black men being near her and that she used racial stereotypes. He was trying to say that his pastor and his grandmother were equally racist.

Now he says his grandmother is just like every other white person. Meaning every white person is a racist.

I'm offended by that.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

lighten up...
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Perhaps. On the other hand, why should I? Someone who's got every chance of being elected the next POTUS has just said all white people are racist.

Imagine if John McCain said all black people were (fill in the blank).

I mean, good grief, Trent Lott had to give up his leadership post for trying to say something nice to a 500 year old man at his birthday part.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

like I said...I think you are looking for something that isn't there.

seriously......you think Barak Obama was trying to clarify his statement by being racist? You seriously think he was attempting to explain how hisgrandmother would make racist comments by including the entire race of white people into the statement?

it makes no sense....

"THE POINT I WAS MAKING was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a TYPICAL white person."

By "The point I was making" he is clarifying
    By "typical", he certainly means average....everyday...

you can be offended by this if you want to be. BUt I really think this is very gradeschool.
  8. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

These are not the words of a uniter !

Don't tell me words don't matter !
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

From one good ol' boy to another. It really was sentimental.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Barack Hussein Obama is an arrogant scary dangerous rat, and I hope that his opponent in the general election will have the balls to ask the bastard the 'tough questions' and not be afraid and intimidated by the color of his skin, they can do it if they think it out and word it right because the Obama people will be always be right there looking and listening for the least excuse to start the "Racial Sh!t".

Barack Hussein Obama Is A Mystery and the liberals don't even care as long as he is Liberal, Black And Gives Goose Bump Speeches, if he does get elected he will turn on the Liberal and it will be a joy to watch but the bad side to that is the rest of us will also have to suffer,

Barack Hussein Obama, will someday have his "Jivey Pastor" sleeping in the Lincoln Bedroom

Obama's speeches are geting a little sickening (fancy bullsh!t) his act is wearing thin and he has nothing else.

:bricks:
  11. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I like this comment from that link:

12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Win or lose, Obama will do more for the country just by running then any politician has done for quite some time. If you watch the different coverages of his speech, its easy to see the extreme behavior of analysts concerning the man. Most analysts considered it a great speech, that included many conservative media, The National Review and The New Republic to name two. OTH, some berated Obama for using a teleprompter and said he 'rehearsed' it. Not everyone here will get it, probably never will, but they are the minority.
  13. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Thanks for again demonstrating the stupidity of the typical righty.

:rofl:

ROFLMAO @ the guy who had a problem with me saying that I "suspect PP's statement to be for PR purposes only", who now claims to know what Obama was really "trying to say". :rofl::rofl:

Wow...the hypocrisy just never ends with you righties, does it?

Some advice - focus first on learning to read comprehensively, before attempting to input your own meaning into someone else's statement.

Now...back to the statement. I'm guessing Obama's grandmother is at least 80 years old. Do explain how it's racist or inaccurate to state that the typical white person of that age was/is racist? Are you actually that ignorant of your own history? :rolleyes:

Imagaine a day when a righty demonstrates accurate reading comprehension skills. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.
  14. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Much too complicated for the righties. Besides bringing the racists on this board to the forefront, this Obama media created controvery has really served to demonstrate just how incapable the righty is of thinking beyond - "he lefty/I righty" = "he bad/I good". Unfortunately, Democrats insist on treating these people like rational thinking beings, rather than simply recognising, as the Republican elite has, that the majority is too stupid/lazy to comprehend anything besides soundbites. Doesn't matter whether it's true, logical or relevant - it just has to be catchy. :rolleyes:
  15. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, let's break it down for you, maybe you're missing what some people are troubled about.

1. Obama said his white granny was afraid of black people and used racist terms.

2. Obama said her behavior was that of the average white person.

3. Obama's statement might therefore lead you to believe that he thinks the average white person uses racial slurs and is afraid of black people.

4. Thinking that the majority of Americans are racist would not be a quality many are looking for in a President.

Now, I'm of the mind that he just did a crappy job trying to explain himself in this case, but you can see where there is the potential for people to take offense to his comments.

No need to use the "righties are stupid" defense, it takes away from your credibility when you make ignorant blanket statements rather than pointing out why you think someone's thinking is off base.
  16. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm not missing what troubles the righties. It's quite obvious that the righties are troubled by two things - the truth and the possibility of a black man winning the presidential election.

Certainly, if you're offended by the truth....as is the case with the typical righty, then it's to be expected that you would be offended by that statement. Predictably, the people in hysterics over his statement are righties. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...so someone who has a realistic understanding of American society wouldn't be "a quality many are looking for in a President"? :confused:

Oops, I understand now. You forgot to include "righties", "many righties" don't want someone who has a realistic understanding of American society as President. Well, that explains how a man who appears to have a tenuous grasp on reality won the presidential election twice.

My comment about the stupidity of righties was a statement of fact and was not offered as a "defense" to anything. Still, I appreciate that you provided more evidence to support that statement. :rofl:
  17. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Speak for yourself and admit that you're a racist if that's the case but don't try to excuse your racism by pretending that it's "inbred". I'm not a racist because I wasn't raised in an environment where people made assumptions about other people on the basis of their race, gender or religion or assigned characteristics to people not on account of the individual's actions but because of a random characteristic like race.
  18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +508 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

The problem I had with the speech is he didn't answer the question of WHY DID HE SIT QUIETLY ? WHY ?

I thought it was poorly presented, as you mentioned some did, but the fact that he didn't answer the basic question is the big problem. We weren't looking for a lecture on race, we were wondering whey he sat quietly and said nothing.

And, yeah, he did generalize white people as racists.
  19. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Racists righties were not going to vote for Obama so he doesn't need to answer your idiotic questions. Keep wondering though...perhaps one day, the lights will come on.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I've got a good friend, a "brother", who shares this experience. He also saw the roadside lynchings, blacks hanged from trees, and horrible dual systems of life -- separate drinking fountains and bathrooms, segregated dining areas, "back of the bus" expectations, ghettoized living places, inexcusable mistreatment in employment opportunities and working conditions, etc. -- and he actually became quite militant in his opposition to this problem in America.

For the past 28 years he has been married to a white woman, my "sister", and they have four great kids, and a happy family. They have made great strides in overcoming their differences by simply loving one another.

Blacks have been through a lot of crap throughout America's history, from the 1600's until as late as the 1960s. Blacks have reacted badly and violently during these times, and even today. The "gangsta culture" is meant to intimidate, yet, I wonder if many here would also not choose a similar method of expression, had we had to live as black people have been forced to live for about 300 years. I know it gives me pause.

This doesn't mean I necessarily believe Barack is the best candidate in this race, as I believe his political experience is very limited and would possibly leave America vulnerable; but I do understand where Obama and even his pastor are coming from. We need to find the solution to ending this divisive wall of separation between the races.

//
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008