20 minutes over 1 month
5 minutes over 1 week

Now let's look at hockey...the Bruins are a good example:
Regular season games: 82
playoff games: 25
total games: 107
total actual game time: 6,420 minutes

Now let's look at extreme example: Zdeno Chara
Chara averaged 26 minutes/game vs. Vancouver=5+ games for typical NFL starter.
In fact Chara completed a typical NFL season in 3 games.

So let's review: Chara plays 30 times more minutes than typical NFL player in equally physical sport (let the debate begin) and somehow he can play 2-4 games per week over 9 months.....yet the NFLPA believes that increasing the schedule by two games, totalling an extra 10 minutes of field battle is too much for their members.

3-2-1....let the attacks begin .....

This is the most idiotic posts I have ever read...

How is the offense only on the field for 5 minutes in one game? Stupid idiot

borg makes a good point about actual "action" in football. Why does a 60 minute NFL game take 3+ hours to play? Commercials, timeouts, TV timeouts, running plays, time spent in the huddle, running down the clock, etc.

Don't get me wrong as I love the NFL; but there is a reason the game isn't very popular in just about every other Country.

Why does a 60 minute hockey game take 2:30 min if there supposedly more action and faster?

There's 60 minutes of action in NFL
There's 60 minutes of action in NHL

End of Story

NFL players are way more athletic than NHL players. There's no argument.

The time spent that's challenging only from a cardio standpoint is almost irrelevant.

What's relevant is the time spent straining yourself to the breaking point -- hits football and hockey, violent deliberate motions in sports such as baseball (especially pitching) or tennis, something in between in basketball (jumping up and down on a hard court).

Chara plays 5X the games per season as Jerrod Mayo. Who takes more hard hits -- Chara in 5 games or Mayo in 1?

A wide receiver who never blocks would be like a hockey player -- lit up on occasion, untouched the rest of the time. But for most football players, hard hits are much more frequent than in most other players.

Last edited:
No, I don't hate him. I just think he's a bit of a punk. Hopefully that will change as he grows and matures.

THIS is a punk ====================>

jroten.jpg

compared to Johnny Rotten , Marchand is a MONK.....:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The time spent that's challenging only from a cardio standpoint is almost irrelevant.

What's relevant is the time spent straining yourself to the breaking point -- hits football and hockey, violent deliberate motions in sports such as baseball (especially pitching) or tennis, something in between in basketball (jumping up and down on a hard court).

Chara plays 5X the games per season as Jerrod Mayo. Who takes more hard hits -- Chara in 5 games or Mayo in 1?

A wide receiver who never blocks would be like a hockey player -- lit up on occasion, untouched the rest of the time. But for most football players, hard hits are much more frequent than in most other players.

Exactly

Since when does a sport have to be physical/tough to be good? I think baseball/golf are the toughest sports due to the mental aspect of it. Hockey and football are almost too fast to even think about whats going on.

I think comparing the NHL and NFL doesn't really make much sense...way to much difference involved.

But, in my opinion, hockey requires the most athletic ability and natural skill out of all of the 4 major sports.

Hockey players need greater hand-eye coordination than any NFL player. Stick handling, passing, shooting, goal tending eclipse catching,throwing, blocking or tackling in football in terms of shear difficulty. Not only is world-class hand/eye skill involved, but this must be combined with world-class skating ability.

But, what I appreciate the MOST about hockey over football. In hockey, the players only ever celebrate when they score a goal and they don't show up the other team by dancing..after a goal, they go right to their teamates and celebrate. On every play in football, we have to watch some goon dance and draw attention to himself for making the most mundane play. How many times have we watched Merriwether dance or stand over another player after they just made a 15 yard gain against him.

It infuriates me to no end.

You can blame Billy "White Shoes" Johnson and the Houston Oilers for that.He was the first post TD "dancer" I remember.

Pounding the chest for everyone to see and then pointing to the sky is the most infuriating, ignorant,narcissistic act of anti-team demonstration in any sport today.

Last edited:
Google..."nfl actual minutes"...and you will be able to read dozens of articles stating game time is between 11-12 minutes

As to your paragragh describing hockey shifts....clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

So when I said that NHL shift usually don't last longer than one minute, I "clearly don't know what I'm talking about"

Funny, Googled NHL average ice time per shift and got this: (I take it NHL.com is a decent enough reference source for you?)

Player Stats - 2010-2011 - Regular Season - Time On Ice - Average Time On Ice PER SHIFT - NHL.com - Stats

Mike Green of the Caps led the NHL with an average of 62 seconds a shift, Chara is ranked 40th with an average shift of 52 seconds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if ONLY ONE GUY IN THE LEAGUE averages more than one minute of ice time per shift,, my ASSUmption would seem to be pretty spot on.

I will accept your apology anytime now, I would bet that I have been watching and playing hockey longer than you have been alive.....

maybe I'm not the one talking out his arse.........

Last edited:
So when I said that NHL shift usually don't last longer than one minute, I "clearly don't know what I'm talking about"

Funny, Googled NHL average ice time per shift and got this: (I take it NHL.com is a decent enough reference source for you?)

Player Stats - 2010-2011 - Regular Season - Time On Ice - Average Time On Ice PER SHIFT - NHL.com - Stats

Mike Green of the Caps led the NHL with an average of 62 seconds a shift, Chara is ranked 40th with an average shift of 52 seconds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if ONLY ONE GUY IN THE LEAGUE averages more than one minute of ice time per shift,, my ASSUmption would seem to be pretty spot on.

I will accept your apology anytime now, I would bet that I have been watching and playing hockey longer than you have been alive.....

maybe I'm not the one talking out his arse.........

So far, your analysis has been spot on (see my reply to your original post above, #26, p.3 this thread).

Last edited:
This is the most idiotic posts I have ever read...

How is the offense only on the field for 5 minutes in one game? Stupid idiot
Not to mention comparing skating after a cleared puck as more physically intense than blocking, tackling, etc.

The whole idea that the NFL is easier to play in than the NHL, and that there is nothing to the claim that an 18-game season causing injuries is ridiculous. Just compare the percentage of players that go on injured reserve every year in the NFL and NHL.

Just another poster desperate for attention and getting it by posting off-the-wall junk then asking to be 'attacked' at the end of a post he knows to be dumb. Good IGNORE candidate.

I've played both, both are very violent. You can get hit much harder in hockey, but it's much less frequent. It's hard to get someone lined up right to really drill them, usually you just get whacked, the other guy is then off chasing the puck while you land on your ass or face. In football you get injured because of the tackling and it's a lot easier to line someone up for a big hit, which ends up twisting bodies, feet planting in the grass which twists knees, fat asses landing on you while thats happening. Theres no trying to drive someone into the grass to make a statement in hockey either. You just slam them then move on.

Btw anyone who thinks getting hit in hockey is a nice and gentle process.. YouTube - ‪Hockey kid going through the glass‬‏

In addition to the major concussions that occur in both sports, there is also a fair amount of concern about the cumulative effect of SO MANY moderate blows to the head (i.e., several PER PLAY in some instances) that is part and parcel of playing football, but which does not really exist in hockey. Both are violent games and you will see catastrophic collisions and injuries in both, but football is just a nightmare from a head injury standpoint.

I've played both, both are very violent. You can get hit much harder in hockey, but it's much less frequent. It's hard to get someone lined up right to really drill them, usually you just get whacked, the other guy is then off chasing the puck while you land on your ass or face. In football you get injured because of the tackling and it's a lot easier to line someone up for a big hit, which ends up twisting bodies, feet planting in the grass which twists knees, fat asses landing on you while thats happening. Theres no trying to drive someone into the grass to make a statement in hockey either. You just slam them then move on.

Btw anyone who thinks getting hit in hockey is a nice and gentle process.. YouTube - ‪Hockey kid going through the glass‬‏
That wall definitely makes a difference and can makethe hit much more one sided (meaning only the intended target really gets hit).

some of the hits on kickoffs, I'm fairly certain would kill or cripple me.

Going over the middle and getting sandwiched blind by ed reed and Ray Lewis or taking a blind hit from Rome....

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure which one I'd take

After the game, 11 minutes of action is plenty, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back