PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There was a thread title comparing Ty and D-rob of the Jest. But it turned into a Bethel and Klecko thread and why our draft picks suck thread.

I think Ty is under appreciated by the fans on this board. I know that he was a first round draft pick and to some they may feel that he's under performing for a 1st rounder.

I don't. I thing he has been a steady performer all year lon and last year too. He doesn't call attention to himself. He's not spectacular but he has been really solid at the d-end postion againts the run and now pressuring the passer.

Anyone aree? Disagree?

I was going to start this thread last night but I got kicked off the computer by my wife for Xmas shopping of all things.

I agree. Warren has been playing solid defense all year long. Does anyone have the splits of rushes to his side for the whole year?

I think he and Willie have been the 2 constants on this defense this year.

PATSNUTme said:
There was a thread title comparing Ty and D-rob of the Jest. But it turned into a Bethel and Klecko thread and why our draft picks suck thread.

I think Ty is under appreciated by the fans on this board. I know that he was a first round draft pick and to some they may feel that he's under performing for a 1st rounder.

I don't. I thing he has been a steady performer all year lon and last year too. He doesn't call attention to himself. He's not spectacular but he has been really solid at the d-end postion againts the run and now pressuring the passer.

Anyone aree? Disagree?

I was going to start this thread last night but I got kicked off the computer by my wife for Xmas shopping of all things.
http://www.targetsoft.com/patriots/

There's a lot to read to see what I saw from my TV - the one constant in our games is Ty Warren "holding at the point of attack". It takes a double team to move him enough to create a crease for the runner. With Ty and Willie playing the right side, most running plays went up the middle at Vince or at Seymour on the left. Now that Sey has recovered from his bum knee and is dominating the left side with an equally effective Colvin, and Wilfork is playing brick wall in the middle, the opponent's run game is averaging 60 yds.

The comparison to D-rob noted he and Ty were close in tackles, what it couldn't show using statistics, is where the run plays attacked. If you have tape, go FF through the third quarter for the run break-down graphics from the broadcast teams, you'll consistently see that the runs went up the middle or at the left side, gains on the right at Warren & Willie where minimal. Break it down even further by gap, Warren's would be country road low vs freeway busy in the a gaps and left side.

Ty is the slowest DL off the snap, but he and Willie together own that right side, and it's very rare to see a 4 yd or more run over there. Even given Ty's slow reaction time/foot speed, he collapses the right side of the pocket quite frequently and has flushed QBs with a 3 man rush.

The run defense is better the second half for four reasons:
1. Wilfork is now playing Ted Johnson lite (with potential still to be tapped).
2. Seymour is now playing Pro-Bowl level DE/DT (Stone of Oakland kicked his butt to start the season).
3. Colvin has developed into a Willie-style monster at OLB (KC made one big run around the left side doubling Rosie - Sey was handled 1-on-1 on that play).
4. Bruschi and Vrabel have gelled and improved each game.
Warren and Willie are still playing at the same high level they started the year.

A note of optimism for the future: Warren was playing with a bum hip against Indy, Jarvis and Wright had to spell him several times. ;)

I've commented that Ty hasn't gotten enough love from the press. He's been solid all yr, playing through injury. Definite upgrade over Hamilton, whom I liked as well.

Box, thanks for the breakdown. It confirms what I have thouoght all along.

I just realized I wrote Ted Johnson instead of Ted Washington - not that they both weren't effective against the run. :D

Ty Warren is the type of guy if you had a team of them you'd win the Superbowl every year; and yet you'd never have a probowler....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back