Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ty Warren/Vince Wilfork

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Phoenix111, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Since BB is obviously not going to put all, or at least a large portion, of his eggs in the Asante Samuel basket, that means there will be more money in the future to play with. Do you guys think that by not throwing a large amount of money at Samuel long term he will re-sign Warren and /or Wilfork soon?

Thats my hope at least. We know the front 7 is more important here than the back 4, so hopefully BB and Pioli are setting aside money for Warren and Wilfork.

2. killerrob

killerrob Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Ty Warren/ Vince Wilfork

I don't see how they can let a talent Vince go. A solid NT is hard to come by. I would like to see them retain Warren if the price is right. They shouldn't put too much of the cap in D-line. The FO has been good a drafting that position. I hope that if they do go, we at least franchise them so we get something in return.

3. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

i think if someone goes, it's warren. But with the salary cap increasing so much each year, maybe it won't be too hard to keep them both afterall.

4. miDeuce

miDeuce Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

I think signing Warren just got a little bit more expensive after the mega Freeney deal. Hoping that the Pats sign him to an extension this year, otherwise if he hits the market someone will clearly be ready to pay way more than we are.

5. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Them's the two biggies, alright ... in two senses of the word.

Warren has been becoming
    what Seymour used to be (before getting his early extension).

Seems clear to me that BB prizes both of them highly
    and therefore will stretch to pay them what they're going to cost.
    Have you noticed how the prices of linemen - on both sides of the ball -
    have been shooting up?

Vince, though, is going to have to wait until the final year of his contract.

6. Spirit of '76

Spirit of '76 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They both signed 6 year deals after being drafted. That means Warren is signed through 2008 and Wilfork through 2009.

With Seymour signed through 2009, it will be interesting to see if they can keep all 3.

It's kind of a long way out based upon how a teams roster changes in a 3 year span. Kind of like looking through a kaliedoscope.

Let's worry about it then and enjoy the ride now.

7. Remix 6

Remix 6 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cory Redding and the Lions really screwed up. The price for Warren-Vince..just got a lot higher if they know how much better they are than him

8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Warren and Wilfork both signed 4 year deals with options for 5th and 6th years which have already been picked up (effectvely paying them most of the contractual salary for those years in advance). Each also has upwards of $9M in easily reachable incentives tied mostly to playing time but also augmented by pro bowl selections in their 5th and 6th seasons that would have each making $3-5M MORE than their currently scheduled base pay in those seasons. So there is some built in basis for them to either play through all 6 years or use their final year escalators as a nice springboard to an extension.

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

That's why we have to keep drafting well . . . if it's not Cory Redding it's someone else, there will always be some stupid comp out there and if a player wants to Samuel it then we won't sign the player - except for Brady.

We have two things to hope for :

- Good drafting and development.
    - Have a few players interesting in winning with a good contract and not Samueling it.

10. WhiZa

WhiZa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

this thread makes me wonder if we'll draft a pass rushing D-lineman with a 1st round pick next year to replace Warren if he pulls anything funny in 2008. Or even to help sunset Seymour after 2009.

11. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

odds are we draft tightends. no matter how many we have. (we know it won't be a linebacker)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +80 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think that rookie K Brown's development over this year and next will have a huge impact on what happens with Warren.

The flip side is we have very litttle on the bench if Wilfork goes down and that is frightening. Wright can hang for a while, but he's not big enough for an extended stay in the meat grinder.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yes, I would not underestimate Brown just yet.

I'm really happy to have the SF #1 next year but if I'd been drafting for us, Alan Branch would be on the team right now. And I'm surprised he isn't.

14. patriot lifer

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

Some people really like Kareem Brown while others think he's destined to be a back-up his entire career. I don't think we can ever expect him to ever have an impact. he didn't consistently light it up in college

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Ty Warren wasn't a big producer in college and "lacked explosion" when he showed up in New England. How about if we give Brown at least one training camp ? :confused:

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -3

We certainly should, although you never know with the Pats front office. I think their record, if it shows anything, is the the D-line is a place they will draft with regularity.

I agree that the Freeney deal makes things complicated. He's a nice player, but the Colts are crazy.