PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Warren Says he is ready to compete for Come Back Player of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Considering all the whining about not getting any front 7 help via the draft I think this should be exciting news for all of us. Not anything we didnt expect but still good to hear it from the source himself and not just speculate.

Ty Warren on degree, comeback - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Tiny said:
"I feel good enough where I could contend, even though I'm not that high profile of a guy, for a comeback player of the year [award]," he says. "I think I can have that type of season. When I'm healthy, I feel like there's nobody better than me at '5' technique [left defensive end]. I feel that good, and to return back to that form, that's where I feel right now."

i forget who said it on here, but it's like adding a first-rounder to the team (assuming he truly is 100%).

If he is healthy, between his return, the presence of veteran studs like Mayo and Wilfork, the addition of Stroud, and the continued development of Spikes and Chung, we are going to have one hell of a tough middle to run through.

If he is healthy, between his return, the presence of veteran studs like Mayo and Wilfork, the addition of Stroud, and the continued development of Spikes and Chung, we are going to have one hell of a tough middle to run through.

no problem with tully setting the edge!

its what I've been saying all along. Getting a healthy Ty Warren back is BETTER than ANY rookie DE we could have drafted......at least as it pertains for the short term. A healthy Warren will greatly improve what was a makeshift DL, and add some inside push to the pass rush that will also impact the OLBs for the better.

The more we learn the more it becomes clearer that BB actually does know what he's doing in the draft, despite what some of us think. (which would include me, of course ;) )

Awesome to hear him say that. I can't wait to have Ty back out there.

its what I've been saying all along. Getting a healthy Ty Warren back is BETTER than ANY rookie DE we could have drafted......at least as it pertains for the short term. A healthy Warren will greatly improve what was a makeshift DL, and add some inside push to the pass rush that will also impact the OLBs for the better.

The more we learn the more it becomes clearer that BB actually does know what he's doing in the draft, despite what some of us think. (which would include me, of course ;) )

I expected a healthy Warren. He doesn't fix the problems at RDE and ROLB, though.

As of right now, the team needs haven't changed since the end of the season, with the possible exception at RB.

DE
OLB
OG
WR

4 of the 5 biggest problems haven't yet been addressed in any significant way. Should Cannon surprise, that would change to 3 of 5.

I expected a healthy Warren. He doesn't fix the problems at RDE and ROLB, though.

As of right now, the team needs haven't changed since the end of the season, with the possible exception at RB.

DE
OLB
OG
WR

4 of the 5 biggest problems haven't yet been addressed in any significant way. Should Cannon surprise, that would change to 3 of 5.
I think Marcus Stroud deserves more credit than you are giving him

Stroud will be seen as a 'significant' addition to the line...regardless of his lackluster 2010 performance with a dismal Buffalo team.

Last edited:
I think Marcus Stroud deserves more credit than you are giving him

Stroud will be seen as a 'significant' addition to the line...regardless of his lackluster 2010 performance with a dismal Buffalo team.

I'd love for Stroud and Brace to both become answers at RDE. However, neither has shown the ability to do that in the past 2 seasons. Remember, a lot of people were making the sort of claim you're making here about Stroud with regards to Gerard Warren last year.

He better win the comeback player of the year by week 10 that is how much we need him

DE
OLB
OG
WR

I beg to disagree, DI. I have never thought that DE was in the least bit a major position need. Then again, I have thought all along that Wright and Warren will both be back at full speed. I'm sure I'm right about Warren. Wright is another story....but one yet to be written. But regardless,. Brace, Deadrick, Pryor, Stroud, and perhaps GWarren are all sufficient solid and much more experienced players. This is a DL that will excel vs the run, and be better than last season on the pass. I think BB agrees and I will be very surprised to see him bring in a FA DE of any significant stature

The same goes for OG. I think Cannon fills the spot left by Neal. Whether he starts or not is subject of conjecture and health. The Pats have spent a lot of effort in coaching up a bunch of guys. Connolly got his shot last season and performed quite well. He will only get better with the experience. Wendell. Ornberger. Maneri, Kazcur, etc are also guys who have been in the system for a while. Mankins WILL be here for this season, and as for next year, we still have those 4 picks in the first 60 to replace him if he leaves. OG is one of those positions where a top rookie can come in and start from day one.

I feel the same about the WRs. Not only do we now have 5 guys who have talent. 3 are still very young talented and still developing, while 2 are consummate professionals. I don't subscribe to the absolute need to have some "field stretching" WR. We won 3 superbowls without one. We were the top scoring offense in the league without one.

I'm thinking also that the fact we are going to run the ball a bit more and have such a nice combination of TE receiving talent, might mean that we don't have to go out and get that "field stretcher", though Price and Tate have the skills for it. (BTW- Its WAY too early to assume Tate isn't the answer) I'm sure BB will bring in some FA WRs to compete for a job, but I, again. will be surprised if he brings in a big name guy.

OLB- well here I agree with you. I'd love to see him bring in any of the several names we have talked about. We need additional help there

Disclaimer.- If I am wrong about Mike Wright's health, Then I can see the need to bring in more of a 4-3 DE pass rusher type to use in the Pass D packages

I beg to disagree, DI. I have never thought that DE was in the least bit a major position need. Then again, I have thought all along that Wright and Warren will both be back at full speed. I'm sure I'm right about Warren. Wright is another story....but one yet to be written. But regardless,. Brace, Deadrick, Pryor, Stroud, and perhaps GWarren are all sufficient solid and much more experienced players. This is a DL that will excel vs the run, and be better than last season on the pass. I think BB agrees and I will be very surprised to see him bring in a FA DE of any significant stature

The same goes for OG. I think Cannon fills the spot left by Neal. Whether he starts or not is subject of conjecture and health. The Pats have spent a lot of effort in coaching up a bunch of guys. Connolly got his shot last season and performed quite well. He will only get better with the experience. Wendell. Ornberger. Maneri, Kazcur, etc are also guys who have been in the system for a while. Mankins WILL be here for this season, and as for next year, we still have those 4 picks in the first 60 to replace him if he leaves. OG is one of those positions where a top rookie can come in and start from day one.

I feel the same about the WRs. Not only do we now have 5 guys who have talent. 3 are still very young talented and still developing, while 2 are consummate professionals. I don't subscribe to the absolute need to have some "field stretching" WR. We won 3 superbowls without one. We were the top scoring offense in the league without one.

I'm thinking also that the fact we are going to run the ball a bit more and have such a nice combination of TE receiving talent, might mean that we don't have to go out and get that "field stretcher", though Price and Tate have the skills for it. (BTW- Its WAY too early to assume Tate isn't the answer) I'm sure BB will bring in some FA WRs to compete for a job, but I, again. will be surprised if he brings in a big name guy.

OLB- well here I agree with you. I'd love to see him bring in any of the several names we have talked about. We need additional help there

Disclaimer.- If I am wrong about Mike Wright's health, Then I can see the need to bring in more of a 4-3 DE pass rusher type to use in the Pass D packages

DE was/is a definite need, as shifting Wilfork all over the map last year showed pretty clearly.

The others are obvious needs as well, but I've gone over this again and again, so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
DE was/is a definite need, as shifting Wilfork all over the map last year showed pretty clearly.

The others are obvious as well, but I'm tired of having to continually debate things that are so easy to see.

So easy to see and yet you keep your eyes firmly closed? How many injuries did we have to the DL last season? Wilfork shifting all over the map last year showed that we had a bunch.

Do you think you'll be over this by training camp? Maybe the bye week?

I hoped we'd get a DE in the draft, but you can't manufacture a Seymour type (nor can Seymour drink from the fountain of youth).

I think only Watt was projected there and not in our reach, and I'm sure they would have tried to trade up if possible if they thought he was a can't miss. they didn't, that I know of.

Like I said, if the player, a rare combination of size agility and willingness to work, doesn't exist, BB doesn't try to invent him.

They worked a lot of guys in last year and should be stout with the addition of Stroud and Warren for a year.

Don't know where the Gerard Warren hate comes from, he was valuable. They simply weren't going long term huge contract on an oft injured Seymour and a younger Wilfork, some people just need to accept that.

Last edited:
DE and OLB are in serious needs for upgrade. That is unarguable.

DE
OLB
OG
WR

I know what your saying but i personally don't believe WR is an issue like everyone else believes we have tate and price coming into their 2nd healthy year. Edelman showed when given the opportunity he is a good wr (dolphins game week 17) And we have Branch and welker who were good (if unspectacular) like last year. I find it hard to see this position as a "Need" especially with productive TE's like Hern and Gronk who provide alot of production in the receiving game.

OLB on the other hand...

Edit:I'm in a minority here but i have all last seasons games taped and i went back to look at some footage of pice in week 17. He looked very good to me and can't wait to see what happens with him this year. He looked very good on some slants and a come back. Not over hyping him just can't wait to see what he will bring to the table

Last edited:

DE
OLB
OG
WR

OT was addressed as was OG if Cannon pans out, RB is now set, and the return of Warren and Wright absolutely bolsters DE. If they add a pass rushing LB and a WR who can stretch the field in free agency they are all set, and not many teams can say that. How you can see a glass that is 95% full as half empty is simply amazing.

"5" technique? Not "4"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye