Ty Law's Jets Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/379632p-322365c.html

ABOVE THE LAW: One of the most compelling figures in the Jets' season was cornerback Ty Law, the ballyhooed free-agent signing who intercepted a career-high 10 passes and made the Pro Bowl. But his sterling performance on the field was only one side of the story.

Turns out that Law was a major headache for the coaches. Apparently, he operated under the Ty Law Rules.

According to multiple sources, Law rarely practiced on Wednesdays, played overweight, argued with the strength-and-conditioning staff and hurt team chemistry with his attitude. His seat in the defensive meeting room was changed because the coaches didn't want him sitting next to promising rookie cornerback Justin Miller, said one source, claiming Law was a poor influence.

Law also wasn't required to attend Monday meetings, as per an agreement with Herm Edwards. Center Pete Kendall also had the same arrangement.

Edwards claimed Law wasn't a negative influence, adding that Law took a more active leadership role as the season progressed. But a person with knowledge of the situation said Law was "impossible" to handle. One player rolled his eyes when asked about Law's impact.

Asked if he provided leadership to the young players, Law said, "I gave what I am. I gave Ty Law."

Law, who knows he won't be back next season, left the locker room yesterday with a signed jersey from Curtis Martin and locker name plates that were autographed by various teammates. To retain Law, the Jets would have to pay an $11 million option bonus by March - and that's not happening. Law is eager to hit the free-agent market.

"I want to be an All-Pro again," said Law, who made $6 million for one season. "I'm trying to go back to the Super Bowl, I'm trying to get Defensive Player of the Year, I have so many goals in mind."

Law didn't rule out the possibility of returning to the Patriots. Don't hold your breath, Ty.

That's a shame. But he made his bed, I guess.

I'm not surprised, because of Ty's past behavior and because of the lack of backbone shown by the Herm Edwards-led coaching staff. Ty's always been a 'me' player, not a 'we'. However, in the past once the season started, he'd be a model citizen. I don't think he respects weak management.

Law also wasn't required to attend Monday meetings, as per an agreement with Herm Edwards. Center Pete Kendall also had the same arrangement.

That's just piss-poor management and creates a class divide in the locker room. Way to go Herm.

sign him up!

I'll take his 10 INT's any day.

I'm sure the "tude" won't be an issue if he's back here.

PatsWickedPissah said:
"I gave what I am. I gave Ty Law."

Good to see Law refering to himself in the 3rd person. Looks like losing has not deflated his ego.

"George is getting frustrated!"

:rofl:

You all missed the sad news for the 'Ain'ts in that piece - the one that makes the Ty Law story even funnier:

The Jets were contacted yesterday by the Saints, who requested permission to interview defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson for their head-coaching vacancy, according to an NFL source.
The Saints, who fired Jim Haslett yesterday, are said to be looking for a disciplinarian - and that fits Henderson. In two seasons under Henderson, the Jets' defense finished seventh and 12th in the NFL rankings.

"It'll always be a goal until I get it," Henderson said last week about his head-coaching prospects. "It's always an honor to hear your name."
Irony, Cimini seems to have snuck some by the editors. :D

PatsWickedPissah said:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/379632p-322365c.html

ABOVE THE LAW: One of the most compelling figures in the Jets' season was cornerback Ty Law, the ballyhooed free-agent signing who intercepted a career-high 10 passes and made the Pro Bowl. But his sterling performance on the field was only one side of the story.

Turns out that Law was a major headache for the coaches. Apparently, he operated under the Ty Law Rules.

According to multiple sources, Law rarely practiced on Wednesdays, played overweight, argued with the strength-and-conditioning staff and hurt team chemistry with his attitude. His seat in the defensive meeting room was changed because the coaches didn't want him sitting next to promising rookie cornerback Justin Miller, said one source, claiming Law was a poor influence.

Edwards claimed Law wasn't a negative influence, adding that Law took a more active leadership role as the season progressed. But a person with knowledge of the situation said Law was "impossible" to handle. One player rolled his eyes when asked about Law's impact.

Asked if he provided leadership to the young players, Law said, "I gave what I am. I gave Ty Law."

Law, who knows he won't be back next season, left the locker room yesterday with a signed jersey from Curtis Martin and locker name plates that were autographed by various teammates. To retain Law, the Jets would have to pay an $11 million option bonus by March - and that's not happening. Law is eager to hit the free-agent market.

"I want to be an All-Pro again," said Law, who made $6 million for one season. "I'm trying to go back to the Super Bowl, I'm trying to get Defensive Player of the Year, I have so many goals in mind."

Law didn't rule out the possibility of returning to the Patriots. Don't hold your breath, Ty.

Thats funny..I don't remember these issues with the Pats..I wonder.if the Pats get to the SB again.will he be like Milloy..hanging around the team..trying to remember the glory days...

I hope Mikey doesn't see this thread. It will ruin his JETS Fantasy where everything is all touchy feely in the Meadowlands and Ty Law is intercepting his way into the HOF to the cheers of an adoring sea of green.

The I...I...I stuff is really annoying, not to mention what an ass he morphs into when he slips into that third person BS. He was a great player, never a great leader - but fortunately for us we had a lot of those these last 5 seasons including our HC who managed Law in a way that maximized his talent and minimized his ego. He now seems hell bent on proving he was some virtuoso talent who didn't need any teams help, but every time he opens his mouth he just confirms how much he did. All adding Ty Law gets a marginal team is the same seat on the post season couch they'd have had without him, plus a bunch of meaningless picks and costly penalties.

Most future HOF players would be humbled by their experiences in a season like the one he just went through, and frankly they'd be somewhat embarrased to get a Pro Bowl nod under those circumstances. Ty just proves he never gave a rats ass about the JETS - it was always just about him. He was pretty miserable just a month ago when all the focus was on his shortcomings. The Pro Bowl voters just reinflated that insufferable ego and put his JETS experience in his favorite perspective. The JETS aren't my problem - I AM STILL TY LAW.

Could he still play here - sure, if he could drop that 20 lbs that still dog him and accept a reasonable deal. Will he - hell no. He's off to sell himself to the highest bidder yet again. And if he manages to get his picks next season, he won't care where that team finishes in the standings either. It's all about personal ego and $$$ with Ty, always has been and always will be.

While I agree that Ty Law the person is not someone whom I admire, I'd like to see him finish up here. Unlikely, but possible. The article I posted from unnamed Jets sources looks like a hit piece by Jets management designed to reduce the heat when they refuse to resign a Pro Bowler after a horrible team performance.

Ty has long been a master covering WR out routes, something Brady should have known before throwing that INT for a score by Ty. Ty used to be a good guy who talked too much but was favored by Bob Kraft, until Ty hired Carl Poston. I believe Bob Kraft finds the Poston's impossible to deal with.

However that's Ty's choice.

On my drive home from NH last night, I heard on WFAN that Ty Law spent his "off day" hanging out with Willie Mac and other Pats teammates. The WFAN reporter also strongly asserted that Ty is coming back to NE. It looks like Ty left his heart in NE.

I don't know what will be his legacy with the Jets, but here is what will appear in the Jets record booK:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...72664jan02,0,4186385.story?coll=ny-jets-print

(1) Three interceptions in one game

Date Player Opponent
Jan. 1, 2006 Ty Law Buffalo
Oct. 23, 2000 Marcus Coleman Miami
Nov. 20, 1994 Marcus Turner at Minnesota
Oct. 23, 1988 Erik McMillan at Miami
Sept. 23, 1973 Rich Sowells at Baltimore
Oct. 31, 1964 Bill Baird Boston
Sept. 28, 1963 Dainard Paulson Oakland

(2) Single-season interception leaders

No. Player Year
12 Dainard Paulson 1964
11 Leon Riley 1962
10 Ty Law 2005
8 Erik McMillan 1988
8 Ken Schroy 1980
8 W.K. Hicks 1970

As for his coming back, Bob Kraft already said Law will retire as a Patriot. Hopefully, he will also wear his Patriot #24 jersey on his induction date at Canton.

I don't understand why there is all this hatred for the guy. He did help us win 3 SB's. The dude played hard and played hurt for our team. On the last year of his contract, he could have slacked off a bit to avoid injury. Instead, the guy played even harder and suffered a near career-ending injury. For all he had done for the team, I thought we should be more appreciative of his improbable accomplishments this season.

denverpatsfan said:
I'll take his 10 INT's any day.

I'm sure the "tude" won't be an issue if he's back here.
Just like the JETS took his 10 INTs and his attitude. This is the ultimate in confusing the NF with fantasy football, where a group of talented players is good. In the NFL you need a good team, and a talented player with a bad attitude can destroy a team.

Take Law's INTs and TO's catches, put them on a team, and watch the fun.

We won't offer him enough yo feed his family.

I'd much rather save our money and feed Seymour's family instead.

Tying one on

As I said, I don't think his ego would be an issue if he came back to the Pats. The leadership on this team keep it in check for the entire time he was here. Why would it be any different?

I think he is going overboard in order to push up his market value by drawing attention to himself.

I wouldn't break the bank for him. I would expect the veterans on this team to talk him into coming back at a reasonable salary for one last run at a SB.

How can you question this guy, when he was on the sidelines last season in a friggin wheel chair scooter helping coach the DB's and Troy Brown?

denverpatsfan said:
As I said, I don't think his ego would be an issue if he came back to the Pats. The leadership on this team keep it in check for the entire time he was here. Why would it be any different?

I think he is going overboard in order to push up his market value by drawing attention to himself.

I wouldn't break the bank for him. I would expect the veterans on this team to talk him into coming back at a reasonable salary for one last run at a SB.

How can you question this guy, when he was on the sidelines last season in a friggin wheel chair scooter helping coach the DB's and Troy Brown?

He was on the sidelines in a friggin' wheelchair but don't kid yourself that he was doing any coaching. TO was on the sidelines in Philly too. Ty's no more a teacher or mentor than TO. As the JETS discovered. He's a very talented player whose physicality can be both a blessing and a curse. BB made sure he kept it in check along with that ego. Herm and Co. couldn't because even though Herm was his favoritest coach of all time and got him a deal when nobody seemed interested enough to open their checkbook, his team stunk (which was going to seriously impact Ty's imaginary big payday), so Ty was on his own mission to elevate his profile. He knows the one stat that turns heads with most coaches and GM's is INTS. He got his. A number of which were gifts, thrown right to him or tipped into his recently ample breadbasket. Few of them effected the outcome of games, though a number of his penalties were critical game changers early in the season when the JETS were still fighting to save their season.

Ty was one of my favorite players. But I realized a long time ago that he is what he is. If he decided to come back here at a reasonable price that would also be fine with me. But that isn't gonna happen unless nobody else wants him who will pay one dollar more (plus umpteen phony incentives) for his on field services only. Veteran leadership is not part of the package.

mikey said:
On my drive home from NH last night, I heard on WFAN that Ty Law spent his "off day" hanging out with Willie Mac and other Pats teammates. The WFAN reporter also strongly asserted that Ty is coming back to NE. It looks like Ty left his heart in NE.

Ty leaves his heart in his wallet, it's easier that way. I'm sure he misses his pals on the team, but not enough to take one dollar less than he can get anywhere else.

Schefter on NFL Network is saying Herm will be leaving the Meadowlands too provided KC and the JETS can agree on compensation. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes