PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

loofasisgeek

On the Roster
Reaction score
Haven't liked the guy since before he left.

He's due to make $6.5M in salary alone next year... (http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=22543)

You think he restructures? Get's waived?

Do you think he's happy he left?

Of all the guys... he's a guy that really pissed me off ... Branch too I guess... but McGinnest, Givens, Patton, Andruzzi I could understand better.

Why would a guy refusing to take a paycut piss you off?

You think he restructures? Get's waived?
Absolutely not. He has to feed his family! have you ever tried to feed your family while making only around 4 million a year? Its not as easy as it sounds

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can understand why some people dislike Ty.

I, personally, am a big fan of his. He did a lot for the Patriots and was a stellar player against Manning, which always counts for a lot in my book :D . He may have left New England for money, but from a purely economic standpoint, that is understandable. He had rings, he had enjoyed great success, and he has the right to try to do what is best for himself.

Law is still one of my favorite players

Absolutely not. He has to feed his family! have you ever tried to feed your family while making only around 4 million a year? Its not as easy as it sounds

Yeah that quote was stupid but anyone saying they would do differently in his situation has no clue.

I'm sure to some dude in a third world country barely scraping by the idea that someone would leave their job because they'd make 10k less a year would seem pretty greedy too.

The number of zeroes to the left of the decimal point doesn't make a financial decision more or less 'right'.

Yeah that quote was stupid but anyone saying they would do differently in his situation has no clue.

I'm sure to some dude in a third world country barely scraping by the idea that someone would leave their job because they'd make 10k less a year would seem pretty greedy too.

The number of zeroes to the left of the decimal point doesn't make a financial decision more or less 'right'.

Once you've made enough money to provide for your family for 3 generations, your choices are no longer about money unless you have become someone who defines his self-worth by the size of his wallet.

It wasn't what he did, it was how he went about it. Low rent...

Once you've made enough money to provide for your family for 3 generations, your choices are no longer about money unless you have become someone who defines his self-worth by the size of his wallet.
Have you ever seen Ty Laws "MTV Cribs " episode the way he spends money he not only has to get every penny he is able to, but he may also find a way to clone himself quickly because I don't see many 50 milliond dollar contract going his way!

I despise people (not just football players) that are 100% greedy. Being filthy rich and still that greedy just makes a person worse in my book.

I am sure he doesn't feel bad about leaving here. He does not care about winning at all. As long as he gets the biggest paycheck possible he will be happy. It's too bad really. He had such skill, just such messed up priorities.

I have no problem with him or others leaving for more money. I do have a problem with him or others leaving for more money and running their mouths before or after they leave.

Just shut up and do your business in private. That's all I ask.

I disagree.

really? because its all about perspective. Ask someone in a third world country what he thinks about an american who quits his 70k job looking for an 80k job and he'll think the guy is unreasonably greedy. He probably wonders 'why does he need all that money'.

Or not even a third world. Ask a person who is working a labor job at minimum wage what he thinks of someone having to have the nfl-certified logo'd jacket when it works just as well as a non-nfl jacket and you'd probably get the same feelings that most upper-middle class people have about upper class people.

Ty Law at the time felt he was still the best corner in the game. The patriots told him he wasn't and wanted him to take a pay cut for it. He disagreed; and thats all there is too it. There's no animosity between the two sides. He didn't hold out on his contract and ask for more. In fact, in an interview he said he and the patriots almost got back together after he left the Jets but his wife steered him toward KC. Even as recently as last year's Chiefs-Colts playoff game, he had a huge game. The guy still has skills; and still owns Manning. Maybe not as skilled as he was with us in 01; but I think he's proven, when healthy, he can still play at; even at this age. And maybe the Patriots have proven that they can spend the money wisely elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ty and Lawyer were my binkies back in the day...

That said, both had egos that could only be checked at the door temporarily. Bill and Scott are serious about putting winning championships first in your personal pecking order, which doesn't bode well for Mr. Samuel.

That said, I'm sure both have regrets, never moreso than this season when the team they will always be associated with had it's integrity impuned and proceeded to set out on an undefeated season.

Ty has never made back the money he was insulted by here. Comes up about a million short over the 4 years. Herm the hugger is is big trouble in KC and claiming he wants to go young, so Ty will likely be a cap casualty. That said, Bill has always left the door open which speaks volumes about his view of that player. Ty never caused a problem in the locker room, Lawyer did. Ty never cared about anyone elses money or business, Lawyer did. Ty remained an impact player until the day he limped off the field at Heinz. Lawyer didn't, which is why he was shown the door before the 2003 season. Ty's problem was backloaded cap hit, not salary which he always earned on BB's watch. Lawyer's was he wasn't earning his salary after just one ring, while he was warning his teamates to get your credit (individual laurels like pro bowls and commensurate contracts). Lawyer left because he wanted his money. Ty did too, but he also wanted to prove he was an elite corner in anyone's system.

It's a sad fact but most of the players in this league measure/equate respect with $$$. Pioli and BB are always on the lookout for those with the makeup to see beyond that. Luckily they continue to find enough of them to field a team whose core is all in on winning.

He was one of my favorite players and I have no problem with him leaving for more money. That's a valid thing to do. You have to make the choice-- paycheck or SB and obviously paycheck was more important to him. While that shows he's not the competitor that some people are, he's accomplished a ton and there's nothing horribly wrong with it.

His comment about feeding his family was dumb. But the problem with however much money you make-- is maintaining your lifestyle. I have a hard time maintaining my one bedroom apartment with my wife some months. So while I could be angered by what he said, if I had a mansion I'd be desperate to maintain that just as much.

Of course, if I were Law, I'd have purchased alot more comic books. Someone that has made so much money should be obligated to own a decent copy of both Action Comics #1 and Amazing Fantasy #15... and maybe Detective Comics #27 too! But that's off topic. LOL

But if you're reading this Ty-- I'll send you my address. I'd like all of those books CGC graded in 5.0 or above please. (The 'Tec 27 can be "Restored" grade if need be. I won't complain.)

I haven't slept. Sorry for the rambling.

:bricks:

He's still got skills and I'd put him in a Pat's jersey this weekend if it were that easy.

It wasn't what he did, it was how he went about it. Low rent...

Because you'd be silent as a church mouse if your company asked you to take a paycut? Please.

Yeah, once you make [arbitrary amount of money] then you should let the owners keep as much of their money as possible, man those guys need it because Bob Kraft needs to eat.

Not sure what prompted this thread, but I won't forget the picture of Ty running back that interception to score against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. He was a great CB who played the game the way it was meant. With Ty overlapping with Rodney, that was a fearsome secondary that unfortunately didn't make it through the season due to Ty's injury.

In the salary cap era, the situation with Ty has become a frequent occurrence for all teams. It's a fact of life with players who are successful and teams who must do what they can to remain successful. If the team makes the wrong decision and extends the player for too hefty a salary, it becomes the San Francisco 49ers and gets buried for many years.

Last edited:
Do you think he's happy he left?

I cannot imagine that he would not have some regrets. I'm not sure that he's so regretful that he'd do it differently, because I think he really wanted the cash. But I think he's basically happy, with a dose of regret that he abandoned the most fun that he could have possibly had.

All those guys have to have some regret that they left a team that had even greater things in it for the future. It's a personal choice, and they made it. Time to suck it up and live with the results.

That said, I'm sure both have regrets, never moreso than this season when the team they will always be associated with had it's integrity impuned and proceeded to set out on an undefeated season.

Ty has never made back the money he was insulted by here. Comes up about a million short over the 4 years. Herm the hugger is is big trouble in KC and claiming he wants to go young, so Ty will likely be a cap casualty. That said, Bill has always left the door open which speaks volumes about his view of that player. Ty never caused a problem in the locker room, Lawyer did. Ty never cared about anyone elses money or business, Lawyer did. Ty remained an impact player until the day he limped off the field at Heinz. Lawyer didn't, which is why he was shown the door before the 2003 season. Ty's problem was backloaded cap hit, not salary which he always earned on BB's watch. Lawyer's was he wasn't earning his salary after just one ring, while he was warning his teamates to get your credit (individual laurels like pro bowls and commensurate contracts). Lawyer left because he wanted his money. Ty did too, but he also wanted to prove he was an elite corner in anyone's system.

It's a sad fact but most of the players in this league measure/equate respect with $$$. Pioli and BB are always on the lookout for those with the makeup to see beyond that. Luckily they continue to find enough of them to field a team whose core is all in on winning.

Although I felt that Ty's "feed my family" remark was ridiculous, the really bad choice he made was not coming back here after the Jets. As said, he'd have made the big bucks here and certainly would have contributed. Somehow he felt more comfortable with Herm and his losing ways and made a bad career decision going to KC. Had he returned to the Pats he'd be a HOF lock and part of a historic roster that will long be remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes