PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law: the Defense [Mod Edit for Accuracy] Still Has Major Holes In It.

Ty Law was on NFLN this morning and mentioned that the Pats defense still has major holes in it. He said that there are coverage problems and that had they played a better QB and receivers last week they would have easily lost. He even went to say that if Sanchez played the jets would have won the game. i don't know, there are a lot of people here who feel the defense was stellar - I'm not sure if I am ready to label last week's performance as that. Does Law have a point?

Poor Ty, still mad about not being able to feed his family! Seriously, the rules have changed since he played. HE would have gotten flagged for pass interference or illegal contact a bunch of times. The D played great from the standpoint of being light years ahead of where they were last year. We'll see what happens going forward. And, yeah, Sanchez would have won - he's done so well against the Pats lately, after all, as long as he can keep his face off his lineman's rear end. ;)

The defense did what they were supposed to against rookie quarterbacks. The real Litmus test will be vs. the Falcons.

Time will tell if the D is for real or not....but for now...verses these anemic offenses...it is a great time time to retrain the players and the coaches.....forcing them all to abandon the "contain" philosophy that has infiltrated the defensive strategy since '07. Unfortunately, the lack of blitzing may be a sign that the coaches aren't comfortable enough taking the training wheels off yet. Hopefully they see enough positive signs that allow a more diverse pass rush moving forward. I keep thinking back to that Ravens playoff game when Flacco went untouched and hope the Pats can become more creative in the future.

The Pats blitzed last week. Problem is, when they did, they didn't disguise well at all which lead to completions with solid gains over the middle.

They return the same starters as finished last year having swapped out Love for Kelly and many had what I think are unrealistic expectations of a quantum leap in performance. They spent some high picks on defensive players, but so far the rookies have not not able to break into the rotation of what has been a below average defense. Things may improve, but I cannot see any reason this defense should strike fear in the hearts of offensive coaches. Receivers once again got open behind the coverage but the QB couldn't hit them or when he did they dropped or fumbled the ball. Better QBs and WRs are down the road and the defense will need to improve to beat them. It is difficult to see where a whole lot of improvement will come from.

The Pats blitzed last week. Problem is, when they did, they didn't disguise well at all which lead to completions with solid gains over the middle.

They didn't blitz all that often. Like week one, the front's primary responsibility was contain more than pressure Smith.

One wrinkle I did like which Matt Chatham just mentioned on WEEI was the Pats kicking Chandler Jones to DT and Buchannon to DE. They got a lot of pressure on Smith in that alignment. Three of their four sacks came in that formation. Maybe their fourth too, but I am not sure.

I think when they start to get more aggressive, having Ninkovich, Jones, Kelly, and Buchannon as their front four can generate a lot of pressure whether they blitz or not.

They return the same starters as finished last year having swapped out Love for Kelly and many had what I think are unrealistic expectations of a quantum leap in performance. They spent some high picks on defensive players, but so far the rookies have not not able to break into the rotation of what has been a below average defense. Things may improve, but I cannot see any reason this defense should strike fear in the hearts of offensive coaches. Receivers once again got open behind the coverage but the QB couldn't hit them or when he did they dropped or fumbled the ball. Better QBs and WRs are down the road and the defense will need to improve to beat them. It is difficult to see where a whole lot of improvement will come from.

But a better QB especially a non-mobile one like Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, the Pats will play them differently. With Kelly and Jones rushing from the inside, the scheme might be to get some inside pressure on these QBs. Maybe even blitz Hightower or Mayo up the middle.

The last two weeks, the Pats weren't as concerned about pressuring the QB which gave receivers time to get open. Against, less mobile QBs, which is most of the rest of the Pats schedule, I think the Pats bring more pressure making QBs to throw faster.

Ty Law was on NFLN this morning and mentioned that the Pats defense still has major holes in it. He said that there are coverage problems and that had they played a better QB and receivers last week they would have easily lost. He even went to say that if Sanchez played the jets would have won the game. i don't know, there are a lot of people here who feel the defense was stellar - I'm not sure if I am ready to label last week's performance as that. Does Law have a point?

I edited your thread title.

If you can show where he said the "defense sucks", then it's fine.

Last edited:
But a better QB especially a non-mobile one like Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, the Pats will play them differently. With Kelly and Jones rushing from the inside, the scheme might be to get some inside pressure on these QBs. Maybe even blitz Hightower or Mayo up the middle.

The last two weeks, the Pats weren't as concerned about pressuring the QB which gave receivers time to get open. Against, less mobile QBs, which is most of the rest of the Pats schedule, I think the Pats bring more pressure making QBs to throw faster.

I'm sure they will play them differently Rob, but our DBs have been getting beat deep and over the middle. Placing your faith on our pass rush is a dubious proposition at best. I still expect 300+ yards from Manning and probably Ryan as well.

We all love Ty Law. But he's wrong.

1st, as Bill Parcells would say, you are what your record says you are. The Pats are 2-0 and shut down the two teams on their schedule. That's all they could do.

As for Sanchez, he's very wrong about that. If Sanchez had played, the defense would have recorded one or two touchdowns. Geno did a good job through three quarters not turning the ball over and hit the wall when the game fell on his shoulders to take over. Sanchez would have been sacked and forced into bad decisions from the opening drive.

Last, all of you regulars know that Bill Belichick's defenses improve as the season progresses. This is the best start since 2007 for a Patriots defense.

If this was last year at the beginning of the season the defense would have easily given up 300 yards of passing to both Manuel and Smith.

I'm sure they will play them differently Rob, but our DBs have been getting beat deep and over the middle. Placing your faith on our pass rush is a dubious proposition at best. I still expect 300+ yards from Manning and probably Ryan as well.

First, they weren't getting beat deep as often as make it to be.

Second, Stephen Hill is an amazing athlete who gets open often. He just can't run the right routes or catch the ball. Hill would be an elite WR if he didn't have hands of stone and a ten cent head.

Third, considering they pressured Smith a lot with a four man rush and playing contain, I do have faith in the pass rush. Jones, Ninkovich, and Kelly are all very good pass rushers.

I want to believe this....but the Ravens D line that consistently collapsed the Pats pocket last winter held Manning to only 7 TDs last week. Hopefully the quality of Pats CBs will be a better test vs Manning than Balt.'s.......
As far as blitzing Denver.....with all the weaponry Manning has...I expect our S's to be back on their heals....so it will be up to our speedy LBs :)

If this was last year at the beginning of the season the defense would have easily given up 300 yards of passing to both Manuel and Smith.

I'm not sure why you would compare this defense to the defense that started last year? We are playing essentially the same guys that finished last year. If Ty Law said these DBs were getting beat, he was right. Ryan won't miss those throws and his WRs won't drop them.

Seems to me that the big difference-maker the Pats lack is the enforcer-type, hard-hitting safety. Been looking for him for years and haven't found him.

I think that would fundamentally transform this defense.

Ryan won't miss those throws and his WRs won't drop them.

So Ryan is a 100 percent completion guy now? He'll miss throws, just like every QB misses throws.

I want to believe this....but the Ravens D line that consistently collapsed the Pats pocket last winter held Manning to only 7 TDs last week. Hopefully the quality of Pats CBs will be a better test vs Manning than Balt.'s.......
As far as blitzing Denver.....with all the weaponry Manning has...I expect our S's to be back on their heals....so it will be up to our speedy LBs :)

First, the Ravens didn't have a pass rush up the middle. The Pats did this week with Kelly and Jones. I am sure they will even more when they blitz a LB up the middle.

Second, I don't know if the Ravens' defense is any good. Their safeties suck right now. Manning exploited Huff and Ihedebo.

Third, don't read too much into week 1. A lot of strange things happen in week one that don't repeat themselves throughout the season.

Seems to me that the big difference-maker the Pats lack is the enforcer-type, hard-hitting safety. Been looking for him for years and haven't found him.

I think that would fundamentally transform this defense.

they did, but Adrian Wilson's on IR.

Mods, thanks for the edit of the title, but in all honesty, Ty Law pretty much said the D sucked. He was just being honest.

So Ryan is a 100 percent completion guy now? He'll miss throws, just like every QB misses throws.

Is this a serious argument? QBs differ considerably in their accuracy, and few will be worse than Geno was Thursday night.

Law is comparing the defense to when he played and compared to the 2003 defense it does suck. That said you can't play defense like that anymore in this league. What I do know is that a few years ago this defense still would have given up 20+ points and 400 yards to those rooks, and that didn't happen. I have no idea how they'll play against better offenses but they're certainly looking better than they have in the recent past.

Law really is the perfect media personality for this market. A former star player with 3 rings that left on bad terms and has no issue ripping the coach and being negative. New England fans eat that right up.

It has holes, but it will come down to scheme on each QB. What defense doesn't have holes right now??

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back