PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law talking to Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats726 said:
OK..what about this..a one year deal for him to sort of showcase himself and play strong and then get the big bucks next year?? THAT is very possible isn't it?? Maybe he thinks the big bucks passed him by..so why not?? Just a thought..
That's pretty much the deal he got last year from the Jets, coming off the Lis-Franc injury. Maybe now he figures he can cash in on the year he had with the Jets.

While he led the league with 10 INTs, the Jets apparently weren't too thrilled with him in other ways, because they didn't seem interested in extending him. I think that decision may have been made before his old secondary coach, Eric Mangini, got there, but then again he is still a free agent so if Eric wanted him you might think he would be back there.

I didn't see many Jets games down here in Panthersland, so I have little idea why the Jets might not have wanted him back (unless it was his contract demands). Can anyone fill me in?

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
That's pretty much the deal he got last year from the Jets, coming off the Lis-Franc injury. Maybe now he figures he can cash in on the year he had with the Jets.

While he led the league with 10 INTs, the Jets apparently weren't too thrilled with him in other ways, because they didn't seem interested in extending him. I think that decision may have been made before his old secondary coach, Eric Mangini, got there, but then again he is still a free agent so if Eric wanted him you might think he would be back there.

I didn't see many Jets games down here in Panthersland, so I have little idea why the Jets might not have wanted him back (unless it was his contract demands). Can anyone fill me in?

It was Eric's decision - he was in well before the delayed FA. And there were several million reasons remaining in 2006 alone in that phony contract they signed him to. It was never really intended to be more than a 1 year deal. He was always a ballhawk who tended to be in the right place at the right time for the INT (although not always in the actual place he was supposed to be in without firm coaching). But last season he was playing slow at about 25 lbs over his 2004 weight, and he relied on his physicality a lot incurring quite a few costly penalties. At one point around Thanksgiving they were pretty ticked at him (even Herm the hugger) because his penalty yards substantially exceeded his INT's, most of which they were unable to convert on anyway without a functional QB. They also came to understand that Ty is a talent, not a leader or a mentor of young talent (who may want his $$$).

DefenseRules said:
I don't think that RAC has that power either. Right? I thought Savage was the GM? :confused:

Savage almost lost his job at the end of the season, until RAC intervened with ownership and chose him over the team President. RAC owns Savage now. :D

Pats726 said:
OK..what about this..a one year deal for him to sort of showcase himself and play strong and then get the big bucks next year?? THAT is very possible isn't it?? Maybe he thinks the big bucks passed him by..so why not?? Just a thought..

This is a pendulum switch from year after year considering how pats performed Vs Ty law's performance. In 2004, it was on pats side whereas in 2005 it was towards Ty's side.

Considering Rodney and Gay will be back in the lineup this year it will be a classic poker game in terms of discussion and negotiation since both of them
have upper hand, it is going to be wait and watch.

Pats726 said:

Despite what he says, even Ty has to be tiring of this annual touring. Last season there was no way he came back here. NONE. This year, there is just a slight possibility because he should be relatively healthy for a CB his age almost 2 year post lis-franc who actually played last season, BB values him, always has, and forgives verbal faux pas for a player who plays pretty well even when he is hurt. BB always felt he could finish his career here as a safety too. That's why he offered him what was really a pretty good 4 year deal 2 years ago. Few teams (possibly RAC) are going to give him a real deal let alone a lot of signing bonus money. We've got some bonus money to burn, why not on a guy we think we could use one way or another for a few more seasons. Nobody's going to pony up the $10M this season either, but we could afford to pony up maybe half of that.

If you want some concise reflection on Ty Law's situation re: the Patriots, then scroll back and read all three of MoLewisRocks' posts - very well done.

I'll only pick this small bone with Mo - Ty Law wouldn't get more than $3/3.5mil up front from the Pats. I could see them giving incentives to reach $4mil/yr but not including a big splash guaranteed; no way bro'.....

Brady'sButtBoy said:
If you want some concise reflection on Ty Law's situation re: the Patriots, then scroll back and read all three of MoLewisRocks' posts - very well done.

I'll only pick this small bone with Mo - Ty Law wouldn't get more than $3/3.5mil up front from the Pats. I could see them giving incentives to reach $4mil/yr but not including a big splash guaranteed; no way bro'.....

The Pats reportedly offered Law no more than $2M a year prior to his signing with the Jets. Why would they double that amount now a year later after his OK year in New York? The answer, it will not happen as N.E. will pass on the Law act, unless he comes begging at the doorstep (which will never happen) for money that will not exceed the previous '05 offer of $2M.

If Belichick is talking to Poston it is to mask the fact that he covets a

CB with one of his 1st 2 picks. Not only that, but if he has his sights

set on one of the LB's or DE's in RD-1 there is little holding him back to

trade up from #52 to grab the CB he covets the most.

Belichick has the ammo to grab a LB, CB, and WR within the 1st 2 rounds if he so desires. He will do everything and everything possible to expand his hand with the press. I want to hear more phone calls to everyone available as a FA or trade.

F.B.N. said:
If Belichick is talking to Poston it is to mask the fact that he covets a

CB with one of his 1st 2 picks. Not only that, but if he has his sights

set on one of the LB's or DE's in RD-1 there is little holding him back to

trade up from #52 to grab the CB he covets the most.

Belichick has the ammo to grab a LB, CB, and WR within the 1st 2 rounds if he so desires. He will do everything and everything possible to expand his hand with the press. I want to hear more phone calls to everyone available as a FA or trade.
Excellent points F.B.N., but there's no need to shout! :)

I would love to pull out my Ty Law jersey but with all the signings I think we are in great shape in the DB backfield I think he will wind up in Cleveland the Pats of the Midwest.

go4pat said:
Ty to BB : "BB, no no that is not enough. I am not that cheap"

BB to Ty : "I am giving you millions, you are fortunate millionaire to get tax cuts. I happened to know businessman who knows how to double your income and yet it is tax free. So I am actually giving you more than what you want. Just Sign that damn paper !!"

Ty to BB : "I heard in the news that you happened to be economist. Today I feel that I am in the safe hands. Where is contract?"

Are you Chinese? Seem unfamiliar with language. Drop articles from sentence.

Can't see Ty coming back to the Pats especially after reading in today's Globe an article by Mike Reiss that said the Patriots have assigned jersey number 24 to Mel Mitchell.

shakadave said:
Are you Chinese? Seem unfamiliar with language. Drop articles from sentence.

Illegal immigrant. Learning language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes